Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 06:12 PM

459 posts, read 700,202 times

Advertisements

I usually like to look around houses for sales just as a curiosity and I found an ad for a "Cozy split-level home in Charlotte's peaceful Hidden Valley subdivision."

At first it made me chuckle but then I realized what if some unsuspecting schmoe saw this and thought they had a great deal?

I understand realtors have to flourish a little bit to mask a property's flaws but are they allowed to blatantly lie like this?

Last edited by Bulok; 01-02-2012 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: smuck is filtered as profanity lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 06:54 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,241,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulok View Post
I understand realtors have to flourish a little bit to mask a property's flaws but are they allowed to blatantly lie like this?
Not to be a brat... but do you mean "embellish" rather than "flourish?" Otherwise, I'm not sure I can make sense of your post...

Old 01-02-2012, 07:21 PM

841 posts, read 1,433,598 times
I think this would fall under "let the buyer beware."

Old 01-02-2012, 07:38 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,843,341 times
I highly doubt a Realtor would do this. An amateur with a real estate license, sure. As always, buyer beware. I'd imagine if a potential buyer did any homework on the matter, they would walk away. But, if it is being purchased as a rental, I'm sure the buyer already knows this stuff going in.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:26 PM

16 posts, read 22,889 times
LOL ( remeber a realtor showing us some shabby places based on the color of our skin and what he thought we could afford. This was several years ago and we were just moving to the area. We politely let the realtor know that we would not like to see another house that he himself would not live in with his wife and kids......Yes Hidden Valley was one of the neighborhoods he took us too. But we saw right threw that.

After that he wisened up and shoed us the real nice places we were looking for,

Old 01-02-2012, 09:26 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,549,139 times
I wrote an article years ago about real estate "double speak."

If it says "charming" - it is anything BUT charming - it probably is an architectural disaster. If it says "cottage" - that means cramped. If it says "charming cottage," that means it is small and rundown, has a bad roof and neglected landscaping, lol.

In all fairness, some ads are not even written by the agent or even the agency - ads can be contracted w/ a third party, and some publishers offer to "spiff up" the ad at no charge.

For all we know, so much is outsourced to India these days . . . some copywriter could have seen that ad, realized they had space for a few more words, and just assumed that any housing development named "Hidden Valley" had to be "peaceful" hee hee hee.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:45 AM

104 posts, read 304,458 times
Peaceful obviously means different things to different people.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:30 AM

45 posts, read 116,356 times
The real estate agent works for the homeowner who is selling the house. Perhaps it was the homeowner who chose the wording. When I sold my last house my wife and I had final say on the ad. After the house sat on the market for a while we rewrote it and told the agent what to say.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:50 AM

821 posts, read 1,856,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfish View Post
LOL ( remeber a realtor showing us some shabby places based on the color of our skin and what he thought we could afford. This was several years ago and we were just moving to the area. We politely let the realtor know that we would not like to see another house that he himself would not live in with his wife and kids......Yes Hidden Valley was one of the neighborhoods he took us too. But we saw right threw that.

After that he wisened up and shoed us the real nice places we were looking for,
I would have walked away from this realtor. Obviously, he was sterotyping/profililng or whatever you want to call it. He did NOT have the best interest of his client in mind.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:58 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,634,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I wrote an article years ago about real estate "double speak."

If it says "charming" - it is anything BUT charming - it probably is an architectural disaster. If it says "cottage" - that means cramped. If it says "charming cottage," that means it is small and rundown, has a bad roof and neglected landscaping, lol.

In all fairness, some ads are not even written by the agent or even the agency - ads can be contracted w/ a third party, and some publishers offer to "spiff up" the ad at no charge.

For all we know, so much is outsourced to India these days . . . some copywriter could have seen that ad, realized they had space for a few more words, and just assumed that any housing development named "Hidden Valley" had to be "peaceful" hee hee hee.
That reminds me of a MAD magazine article from years and years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte