Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 07:12 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
That reminds me of a MAD magazine article from years and years ago.
Yeah, it can be a fun exercise.

You gotta wonder if someone was just having some fun with inserting the word "peaceful" in that ad.

I would never assume it was the realtor, tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 03:19 PM

185 posts, read 318,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
I would have walked away from this realtor. Obviously, he was sterotyping/profililng or whatever you want to call it. He did NOT have the best interest of his client in mind.
ITA. NO way in hell I would have helped him make a commission.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:19 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,550,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulok View Post
I usually like to look around houses for sales just as a curiosity and I found an ad for a "Cozy split-level home in Charlotte's peaceful Hidden Valley subdivision."

At first it made me chuckle but then I realized what if some unsuspecting schmoe saw this and thought they had a great deal?

I understand realtors have to flourish a little bit to mask a property's flaws but are they allowed to blatantly lie like this?
Nothing wrong with the ad. If it were your home in HV how would you write the ad for sale?

Old 01-04-2012, 05:42 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
Nothing wrong with the ad. If it were your home in HV how would you write the ad for sale?
It may be the seller's "home sweet home" but I don't think anyone who lives in HV would describe it as "peaceful."

Old 01-04-2012, 12:52 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfish View Post
Hidden Valley was one of the neighborhoods he took us too. But we saw right threw that.

After that he wisened up and shoed us the real nice places we were looking for,
I don't mean any disrespect, but -

'too' should be 'to'
'threw' should be 'through'
'wisened' should be 'wizened'
'shoed' should be 'showed'

Some of this is basic high school English and maybe you had a bad teacher, but the other two could have been detected through some sort of spellchecker.

Mozilla Firefox, as a browser, will underscore any misspelled words in red as you type.

Sorry. Please don't get angry at me.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
Good point. The Realtor, unless specifically a buyer's broker, will always represent the seller.

Buyer beware.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:57 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,147,867 times
Professional Realtors show homes to clients based on their preapproval loan amount not the color of their skin. Green is green no matter who you are working for. The Listing Agent who wrote the script stating that it was a peaceful setting was indeed looking out for his/her clients' best interest. It's their job to present the home in the best possible light and peaceful is a very subjective description.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:39 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post

'too' should be 'to'

Some of this is basic high school English and maybe you had a bad teacher, but the other two could have been detected through some sort of spellchecker.

Mozilla Firefox, as a browser, will underscore any misspelled words in red as you type.

also, no disrespect intended, but "wizened" is not the proper spelling for the meaning intended in the post either... one of the detriments of relying on a spellchecker.

"wise up" is a slang term itself. I would assume the most correct usage (of the slang) should be "wised up", but I would just say "came to his/her senses".

Old 01-04-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
also, no disrespect intended, but "wizened" is not the proper spelling for the meaning intended in the post either... one of the detriments of relying on a spellchecker.

"wise up" is a slang term itself. I would assume the most correct usage (of the slang) should be "wised up", but I would just say "came to his/her senses".
Thank you. I appreciate the information, really.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:17 PM

16 posts, read 22,868 times
Thanks for the spelling and grammer lesson. I dont look at you as a smart a$$. Thing is I am legally blind and some times I see better than others.

Im sorry if if was tough for you to read. But sometimes it is important to KNOW the whole story before commenting.

I did very well in English, BTW. Just so happens I have a disease called Glaucoma. Also known as the silent killer of sight.

So I will take this opportunity to encourage folks to have an eye exam yearly. And to ask there doctor about Glaucoma. As of this time, there is no cure for Glaucoma.

Sorry meant no disrespect. However before you AsSume things I think it is vitaly important to keep things to yourself unless you know a persons story. Sometime its better to notice things and keep your mouth closed unless all of the circumstances are known. Maybe do like my 3rd grade teacher told me and pray for a person and thank God you are not that way(obviously you have the english language and grammer perfected),

Hopefully you get my point. And feel free to correct anything I write here however remember,

Who among us in perfect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post

'too' should be 'to'

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte