Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 06:01 PM

314 posts, read 1,182,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey123 View Post
Some other 70s and 80s haunts come to mind:

-Epicurean. Try summing up that place in one posting.
That's another place I couldn't remember the name of for my list. What a place!

Anybody remember a seafood place ...seems like it was way out South Boulevard...probably close to Pineville, that had cement floors and the staff wore black rubber wadders and hosed down the floors right in front of waiting patrons? A co-worker insisted my husband and I just *had* to eat there for good seafood. The place was GREAT!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 06:14 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,313,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debb J View Post

Anybody remember a seafood place ...seems like it was way out South Boulevard...probably close to Pineville, that had cement floors and the staff wore black rubber wadders and hosed down the floors right in front of waiting patrons? A co-worker insisted my husband and I just *had* to eat there for good seafood. The place was GREAT!!!
I absolutely remember it, but the name escapes me.
My legs would get wet when eating there, LOL.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:07 PM

314 posts, read 1,182,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
I absolutely remember it, but the name escapes me.
My legs would get wet when eating there, LOL.
Soooo thankful you remember. I could just envision people saying I was "crazy"...that no restaurant would "hose down" the place in front of its diners.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:48 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,895,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debb J View Post

I am pretty sure the Epicurian was on East Boulevard? There used to be a Zanzibar Lounge across the street.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:23 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,313,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I am pretty sure the Epicurian was on East Boulevard? There used to be a Zanzibar Lounge across the street.
Yep, near the Blockbuster on East across from 131 Main.
They had great food.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:01 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,426,461 times
Good news!!! The Coffee Cup is BACK Will be reopening in NODA in a week or so. When I was a real little kid, my dad would take me there. He knew the owner in those days, we would sit in the kitchen part, were there was a table and a small counter. The ladies would bring chicken legs and biscuits for me in a bowl. It was the coolest!! Ate there right up until they closed. Tried to by the sign, but it wasn't for sale, the current owners kept it. Glad to see them back. Mert's is cool and LuWan's is good, but the Cup was the real deal.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:10 PM

11 posts, read 37,496 times
I am a "vegetarian" of sorts. But I love southern home cookin as it applies to veggies. Okay butter and fat tecnically aren't "meat" ;-) The hostess at Mert's has a big ol' crush on me. She makes me blush every time I go in there. My friends at work get the biggest kick out of it when she greets me.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:27 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
No one has mentioned the Open Kitchen, have they? I just checked and they are still open. I just assumed they closed long ago.

The Open Kitchen - Italian Cuisine - Charlotte, NC (http://theopenkitchen.net/ - broken link)

Old 03-31-2009, 07:35 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,426,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
No one has mentioned the Open Kitchen, have they? I just checked and they are still open. I just assumed they closed long ago.

The Open Kitchen - Italian Cuisine - Charlotte, NC (http://theopenkitchen.net/ - broken link)
Yah, they are still there, but no way as good as they were years ago. It used to be our Friday night place back in the day. Then up to the DQ on Wilkinson for a cone.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:43 PM

701 posts, read 1,082,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
I really miss Epicurean - I went to Prom there

FWIW, South 21 in Matthews lacks nothing from the old Independence location (near Goony Golf) save curb hop service.
From the burgers to the onion rings I remember eating there in the 70s-80s; Still just as good, and unhealthy
(Orig family still involved)

Hey!!! Me Too! I really miss that place.............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte