Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 01:21 PM

468 posts, read 826,364 times

Advertisements

How about some of the affordable lunch places downtown from back in the 70's and 80's?

The Queens, The Americana where Barlcays' American was located as well as Teddy's for fish on Friday and the Hollywood if you like veggie plates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 01:39 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Amber House on N. Tryon

Old 06-10-2012, 01:54 PM

441 posts, read 1,487,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZEP View Post
Growing up we used to go to Casa Gadardo ( i know i murdered the spelling) It was where Quaker state is now in Park Rd shopping center, I was young but I remember my Mom loving the place. Much more recently I miss Wize Guyz in Ballantyne some of the best wings around. I second Jimmy's at CPCC used to eay lunch there everyday. Good Thread.
Casa's my first intro to Mexican outside of Toco Bell....lol
My fav was Ramone's platter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
+1

Anyone remember Victoria Station?
IIRC it was on the corner of Albemarle Road & N Sharon Amity.
The old train cars are on 601 south of 24/27. That was a cool experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
This is a longshot, but how about The Family House in Matthews?
The location currently is El Valle Mexican restaurant.

We probably ate there 2x a week growing up.
My family ran a company tab there, had parties there (70s), fun times.

I can still taste their marinated beef tips.
That was the very first place my family and I ate after moving here. We lived over near where 485 and Lawyers intersects now. At the time, it was ot in BFE and Matthews was about the closest place around.

Some of our favs;
La Chateau, Darryl's, Rock-ola, Cinima and Draft House, Sandwich Construction Company, the original Long Horn, Slugs Top Of The Tower
There was a place in an old gas station at South Blvd and Arrowood that made a cheeseburger sub can't remember the name.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:49 PM

21 posts, read 38,674 times
The Scoreboard on Independence in Matthews.

Still the best sports bar I've ever been too.

Stadium seating with the little speaker at every table where you could tune to the game you wanted to listen to.

Food was great. Biggest cheese sticks I've ever seen. 10¢ wing night. Putting in the name of a famous athlete on the wait list. "Cal Ripken, table of four"

Old 05-09-2017, 08:12 PM

4 posts, read 34,754 times
I loved Lineberger's Fish Camp in Gastonia, went there often with parents as a kid...late 70's-mid 80's. Gus's 49er up University City Blvd., Sandwich Construction Co., also on University City Blvd., Duff's Smorgasboard on N. Tryon, Darryl's on Albemarle Rd., Damon's on Independence, 300 East--still there but not nearly as good, The Old Spaghetti Factory, Barclay's Cafeteria @ Belk SouthPark, Morrison's Cafeteria--Eastland was the best, Barclay's Cafeteria @ Tryon Mall--late 70's, The White Horse--Eastway near The Dixie Electric Co., Beaureguard's on Freedom, Riverview Inn on Wilkinson, Annabelle's at Eastland.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:30 AM

372 posts, read 722,943 times
Meadowview Steakhouse in Matthews.

Carvers Creek On Independence at Margaret Wallace. Great Prime Rib.

The Andersons on Elizabeth. Favorites were their Hot Dorsey and pecan pie.

The Ranchouse on Wilkson Blvd. Great steaks and their Parker House rolls melted in your mouth, not to mention their Blue Cheese Dressing and insanely hot and spicy Shrimp Cocktail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Used to love to take my kids to the Spaghetti Warehouse in what is now Southend
You're going to hate me for this, but I was doing off duty work the day the did the demo work in the kitchen. Disgusting doesn't even begin to cover it. If only I had pictures.......

Old 05-16-2017, 11:45 AM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Some of these may have been mentioned already: Anderson's, Epicurean, The Oriental, Ranch House, Cafe Eugene, Slug's Rib and Slug's Top of the Tower, Morrison's Cafeteria, Barclay's Cafeteria locations, Annabelle's, Darryl's, Gus's Original 49er, Old Hickory House, Amber House, and the old Shoney's Big Boy back in the day. And there was a famous late night diner near CPCC that I am forgetting the name of.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:58 PM

Default "And there was a famous late night diner near CPCC that I am forgetting the name of."

You're probably thinking of Athens on S. Independence...gone but not forgotten. Now everyone goes to Skyland---formerly Cousins on S. Blvd., but the location's not nearly as convenient. Also, The Landmark Diner on Central is open late nights again...not all night, but later than it has been in years.

"And there was a famous late night diner near CPCC that I am forgetting the name of."

Old 05-25-2017, 09:22 PM

I miss The Old Hickory House Bar-B -Que on N. Tryon St. next to the Old Stuckey's Furniture Store that's now The Famous Mart---Gene & Bobby Helms sure knew how to make good barbecue...and those home made slab cut fries! Also missing Dickadee's Front Porch on Independence, The Mandarin on University City Blvd. at Town Center Plaza--before they were busted for slaughtering chickens out back, Slug's University Place, McDonald's Cafeteria on Beatties Ford Rd., Duff's Smorgasboard on N. Tryon St., The Firelight Inn off Hwy. 49 in Harrisburg, Italian Isles Restaurant on Old Concord Rd. @ N. Tryon, Barclay's Cafeteria above Belk's @ SouthPark, Morrison's Cafeteria's @ Eastland & SouthPark---the one at Eastland was the best, The Victoria Station off Central near Eastland, The Fish Farm in Matthews near the Crystal Shoppe---when that used to be considered way yonder out of town and was still Matthews, Wiener King on Albemarle Rd., Darryl's 1776 on Albemarle Rd., Grady's on Albemarle/Central, Red Lobster on Albemarle Rd.---back when they didn't crowd the dining rooms with too many tables & too little portions--remember those cheese-garlic biscuits?, Rudean's on Statesville Ave., The Sizzler on N. Tryon St. @ NorthPark Mall, The Townhouse Restaurant on Providence Rd., The Hereford Barn on I-85 Service Rd., The Hungry Fisherman Restaurant near Buster Boyd Bridge in Lake Wylie, Damon's Ribs at East Towne Marketplace---even better when they were off Independence where Slug's used to be, Rock-Ola Cafe on Albemarle Rd, Holly Farms Chicken on Beatties Ford Rd/LaSalle St., Mr. C's Chicken on opposite corner of Beatties Ford Rd/LaSalle St., lunch counter at Niven Drug on Grandin Rd., the old Showmar's on University City Blvd. next to the old Handy Andy's Pantry--where the NTW/Tire Kingdom sits now...and many more.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:34 PM

I liked Castaldi's at University Place as well. They had the best Linquini with Clam Sauce, and Shrimp Pasta. Also, this wonderful bread and salad accompanied each meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte