Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 11:12 PM

314 posts, read 1,181,994 times

Advertisements

Best thread I've come across in a long time!

And yes, I remember Victoria Station and nearly every place mentioned.

When I was little my mom drove us 80 miles to Charlotte to buy school clothes in September. We always ate in the cafeteria located either in Ivy's or Belk. Forget which one had it. Perhaps both?

Christmas time we returned and always ate at the S&W. Loved that place!

Moved to Charlotte in the early 70's and tried to eat everywhere. Some places I recall:

DRAWBRIDGE--Mostly French food and they did have a drawbridge out front. Very expensive! Only ate there once.

ORIENTAL--A favorite of most locals.

PEKING PALACE--Tammy Faye Bakker's favorite place.

CRAZY HORSE--Several locations and trendy for its time.

BOARS HEAD--Very good steak house on Albermarle.

Many, many more but quite a few have already been mentioned. Sure miss that town!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 10:45 AM

38 posts, read 130,015 times
Yep, the Crazy Horse is where you wanted to go in your late teens, to be cooler than the kids who weren't quite old enough to be served there.

Don't forget the Lamplighter, where everybody went for anniversary and special dinners. Slugs was a close second on that big occasion front.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:39 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debb J View Post
Best thread I've come across in a long time!

And yes, I remember Victoria Station and nearly every place mentioned.

When I was little my mom drove us 80 miles to Charlotte to buy school clothes in September. We always ate in the cafeteria located either in Ivy's or Belk. Forget which one had it. Perhaps both?

Christmas time we returned and always ate at the S&W. Loved that place!

Moved to Charlotte in the early 70's and tried to eat everywhere. Some places I recall:

DRAWBRIDGE--Mostly French food and they did have a drawbridge out front. Very expensive! Only ate there once.

ORIENTAL--A favorite of most locals.

PEKING PALACE--Tammy Faye Bakker's favorite place.

CRAZY HORSE--Several locations and trendy for its time.

BOARS HEAD--Very good steak house on Albermarle.

Many, many more but quite a few have already been mentioned. Sure miss that town!!!
I remember the drawbridge. It was a pretty descent place. I was on in the states for about six months in the 70s, but that was one of the places I used to go for drinks. I believe it was somewhere near Park Road?

Old 03-26-2009, 02:43 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
+1

Anyone remember Victoria Station?
IIRC it was on the corner of Albemarle Road & N Sharon Amity.
I remember it. My dad used to live in the Lake Apartments in the 70s and I remember it being very close. I noticed in the paper that the Copal Grill that I mentioned earlier is being torn down this week after being there for 61 years.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:00 PM

11 posts, read 37,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Just some of my fave's not always the best in town, but always good.

Ivey's Cafeteria (It had another name, but I can't remember it). "Serve you sir?" "Serve you ma'am?"
The cafeteria was The Barclay. There was a chain of them. I know one was at Amity Gardens Shopping center.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:35 PM

314 posts, read 1,181,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I remember the drawbridge. It was a pretty descent place. I was on in the states for about six months in the 70s, but that was one of the places I used to go for drinks. I believe it was somewhere near Park Road?
You may be right. I was thinking it was close to East Blvd. and I asked my hubby. He has no clue! It did have atmosphere and was very different from most places in CLT at that time. Anyone know if it's still open????

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I remember it. My dad used to live in the Lake Apartments in the 70s and I remember it being very close. I noticed in the paper that the Copal Grill that I mentioned earlier is being torn down this week after being there for 61 years.
The Lake! I lived there once for a very short time. And yes, it was close to Victoria's Station. (Had to re-type the name. I'd first typed Victoria's Secret. )

Old 03-26-2009, 04:14 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBeast View Post
The cafeteria was The Barclay. There was a chain of them. I know one was at Amity Gardens Shopping center.
Y, I remember that.
There is a pic of the Amity Barclay Cafeteria on the Facebook "I am a Native Charlottean" group - lots of old CLT restaurant pics there.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:35 PM

38 posts, read 130,015 times
Some other 70s and 80s haunts come to mind:

-Epicurean. Try summing up that place in one posting.
-Smokehouse on Montford, still going
-Beef n Bottle, like previous poster said. One of the non-Ponderosa type place to get a steak back then.
-Mayberrys at Park Rd Shopping Center
-Green's Lunch
-South 21, really sad to see that place go

And veering away slightly, I miss the old Tee Wee beverage at Tyvola and South. When I explain to people that you would drive up to a shack shaped like a tee pee, where the guy would open a sliding glass door and fork over beer and cigs, without a real close look at your age, they don't quite comprehend.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:43 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey123 View Post
-Epicurean. Try summing up that place in one posting.
-Smokehouse on Montford, still going
-Beef n Bottle, like previous poster said. One of the non-Ponderosa type place to get a steak back then.
-Mayberrys at Park Rd Shopping Center
-Green's Lunch
-South 21, really sad to see that place go
I really miss Epicurean - I went to Prom there

FWIW, South 21 in Matthews lacks nothing from the old Independence location (near Goony Golf) save curb hop service.
From the burgers to the onion rings I remember eating there in the 70s-80s; Still just as good, and unhealthy
(Orig family still involved)

Old 03-26-2009, 05:44 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Used to love to take my kids to the Spaghetti Warehouse in what is now Southend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte