Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 06:25 PM

27 posts, read 147,163 times

Advertisements

I am originally from PA and then moved to AZ about 11 years ago.

I don't understand the Crawl space. Why can't the houses be built on a slab or with a basement??

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2006, 07:12 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,661 times
From what I've learned there are 2 reasons some houses have no basements (there are a few that do, just not the norm) -

1- More expensive
2- Red clay soil

Old 07-01-2006, 12:23 AM

27 posts, read 147,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WenIs02
From what I've learned there are 2 reasons some houses have no basements (there are a few that do, just not the norm) -

1- More expensive
2- Red clay soil
Is #2 the same reason they can't put it on a slab of concrete?

Old 07-01-2006, 03:05 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,030,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikulak
I don't understand the Crawl space. Why can't the houses be built on a slab or with a basement??
Mike
Most of the home advice sites I read say that crawl spaces are evil, dank places, blamed for the majority of heating/cooling costs. One site does give an explanation of why they are good.

http://www.soundhome.com/consult/141to150.shtml (broken link)

Quote:
Slab on grade foundations tend to be less expensive and work quite well in warmer climates. However, due to the fact that they place the floor level near ground level, drainage and soil/wood contact issues are also potential problems.
I can only think of one reason for a slab on grade foundation--lower cost. A concrete perimeter foundation and an adequate crawl space is my first choice - basements are also a good choice. A crawl space allows for the installation and maintenance of insulation, ducting, plumbing, electrical wiring, ventilation and drainage systems. While all of this is possible without a crawl space, any future maintenance, repair or modification is much more difficult.

Old 07-01-2006, 08:12 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
Homes built on slab are about $5,000 cheaper than those built on crawl space. One of the reasons we prefer crawl spaces are that they elevate the home and cosmetically, looks more appealing to us to see more of the brick foundation. If a home built on slab has a plumbing problem, you have to go through the interior floor and break through the concrete, which is a mess. Having said that, its rare for that to happen. I sold a home to a plumber who said he'd never buy a home built on slab. Most of your production builders in the lower end...Beazer, etc., will build on slab and you don't get an option for crawl space. Its the same for vinyl siding. For a very long time, most of the more expensive homes were never vinyl siding. The coveants didn't allow it. My client from northern states prefer the vinyl siding. Alot of the less expensive neighborhoods also have vinyl siding. However, its not looked down upon as it once was. Vicki

Old 07-01-2006, 06:14 PM

787 posts, read 3,582,979 times
We just had to go under our house and do $9000.00 worth of repairs from water and moisture damage under the house in the crawl space. And the living room floor appears to be dropping. I just hope it stops soon. I can't afford to do much more to the place. On top of the $9,000.00 since 1999 when have replaced the carpeting, taken in the carport as a game room and carpeted that area, painted all over the house, concreted the driveway, replaced 50 square yards of flooring in the kitchen, dining room, utility room and front bathroom, put up some wallpaper, added tile in the kitchen, added a dishwasher and garbage disposal, not to mention buying a new stove, and washer and dryer, we have replaced the kitchen counter tops, got a new living room door, added French doors to the game room, and replaced 4 ceiling fans. We are about ready for the poor house. LOL

Old 07-01-2006, 08:19 PM

212 posts, read 1,063,553 times
If the home is built on a slab, there is nowhere for the hound dogs and chickens to lay up out of the sun! Also you cain't drop your moon pie wrappers through the floorboards of a slab built house.

Old 07-01-2006, 08:42 PM

787 posts, read 3,582,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clodhopper
If the home is built on a slab, there is nowhere for the hound dogs and chickens to lay up out of the sun! Also you cain't drop your moon pie wrappers through the floorboards of a slab built house.

Man you kill me with your explanations. LOL
Don't laugh. As I type this there is a cat under the crawl space of some house giving birth. And you will have to crawl under there (hence the name) and remove the cat and kittens to prevent them from tearing up the duct work that goes to the A/C and heating unit. I gave up going under the house a few years ago after animals of destruction. The trick is to make sure that once you get them out, be sure you make sure there is no way they can get back in there. Believe me they are sneaky little devils too. Southern animals have a personality all their own. They will get back in there faster than you can set them up inside the house if you're not sharp. Oh and let's not forget the spiders and snakes that use this as their summer home.

Last edited by Bethanytedder; 07-01-2006 at 08:45 PM..

Old 07-02-2006, 07:07 AM

41 posts, read 161,837 times
a contractor told me most homes with a basement have one because there was a hole where the house was built rather than fill it in they just assume sell you the hole

Old 07-02-2006, 07:44 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
Its too expensive to DIG a basement in our red clay. So...if the house has a slanted lot and they can stick a basement under the main portion of the house...you get a basement! Of course...you pay for it! Pulte charges about $29,000 for an unfinished basement. And sometimes they put a "premium" on the lot. Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte