Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 09:58 AM

297 posts, read 1,141,233 times

Advertisements

The place is a joke everything is over priced ($7.00beer)and the games are commercailized to the point they are not fun anymore. Throw in stupid enterainment for the half time or 20 minute icing breaks. Althought there is one or two of the cheerleaders id umh well.... Ushers prevent you from seating while game is in play. I leave every event 5 mins before it ends to keep from dealing with the traffic. By the way did anyone see the Jazzercise chicks and scyronized skating chicks this weekend. Hope that is not one of the images that flashes through my head in my final moments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 10:47 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKE1989 View Post
The place is a joke everything is over priced ($7.00beer)and the games are commercailized to the point they are not fun anymore. Throw in stupid enterainment for the half time or 20 minute icing breaks. Althought there is one or two of the cheerleaders id umh well.... Ushers prevent you from seating while game is in play. I leave every event 5 mins before it ends to keep from dealing with the traffic. By the way did anyone see the Jazzercise chicks and scyronized skating chicks this weekend. Hope that is not one of the images that flashes through my head in my final moments.
You are just a bundle of sunshine!
Why do you go if you don't enjoy it? While I don't enjoy paying that much for beer, that's pretty much what it costs at every arena and stadium.
I saw the Jazzercise thing and I liked the older guy doing Jazzercise with a million women....he was awesome!

Old 04-02-2007, 12:41 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,653,670 times
Just go a note that Beyonce will be doing a show there July 27th. Now, if that doesn't cause a sell-out crowd, I don't know what would...

Old 04-02-2007, 04:30 PM

474 posts, read 1,748,960 times
I don't have a problem with the arena itself. I don't go because I think the NBA stinks. I've been to a Checkers game and it was pretty good. Tickets are cheap and there's really not a bad seat in the place for hockey because they're all lower level.

One other note - the County funds the school system, not the City. So none of the money that went towards the arena could have gone towards schools anyways. Most is coming from taxes on rental cars, hotel rooms, etc. I can't remember what it's called - entertainment tax, I believe.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:03 PM

435 posts, read 1,814,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
I was here when the old coliseum and the Hornets started up and let me tell you it was madness-- hottest ticket in town and everyone wanted to get to that new facility. We set NBA records for attendance! Now, based in part on the fiasco with how the arena was procured, people could not care less, it seems.
I remember that. My grandfather had connections & we used to get floor seats every time. That place was always packed- even in the first year. I get pissed thinking about that old arena & that it was a fine place, but since it was old, it had to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent
Plus the Hornets left a bad taste too. So the Bobcats have a big mountain to climb. Also the price for a family of four to go to one of those games with decent seats and snacks for the kids etc. is crazy.
I don't think the Bobcats will reach the level the Hornets were during their prime.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:55 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKQC View Post
One other note - the County funds the school system, not the City. So none of the money that went towards the arena could have gone towards schools anyways. Most is coming from taxes on rental cars, hotel rooms, etc. I can't remember what it's called - entertainment tax, I believe.
True, I should have been more clear but the debate is a long story but here it goes:

The argument was this: The hotel tax could have been used to fund items like the debt on the old Charlotte Coliseum and the city's support of the Arts and Science Council that are currently funded with property taxes. Using the hotel tax for these expenses instead of a new arena would allow property taxes to be used for Charlotte's real priorities (i.e. schools and roads). Also, bond money could have gone to schools instead of an arena. So that was the argument, anyway.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:50 AM

227 posts, read 292,895 times
You dont have a problem with the arena, you just dont like the NBA. Its that way everywhere.
Ushers should keep people from getting up and down during play. If i pay $100 to see a game, i dont want people walking in front of me.
Beer is just as expensive at BOA stadium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKE1989 View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte