Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 03:47 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,148,498 times

Advertisements

I think southerners would prefer that you just be yourself; if you're comfortable with y'all, then y'all it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 03:49 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,716,789 times
Have you ever heard a northerner trying to sound southern? It's pretty funny!
I know I can't pull it off!

Last edited by stmaarten; 04-02-2007 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: content

Old 04-02-2007, 03:50 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,790 times
Default Real World Experience

I'm from Long Island originally and moved to Rock Hill, SC during my Junior year in high school, talk about an ADJUSTMENT . The first time one of my teachers looked at me and told me to "Put my book up" I sat and looked at him with a blank stare and thought he was crazy. After he got mad because I had no earthly idea what he meant, he finally re-phrased and asked me to "put the book away". To this day it still makes me laugh.

Other things I had to learn:

"Coke" is a general term for all types of carbonated beverage. i.e. "What type of Coke would you like?"

There is no such thing as sneakers down here....they're all "Tennis Shoes". I got made fun off non stop the day I spilled SODA on my SNEAKERS and made it known throught the cafeteria in school.

It was all maddening at the time, but I am pretty well adjusted now. Now the only time I get made fun of is when I go to Long Island and people ask me where I'm from and I tell them Long Island!!!

Old 04-02-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
I'm from Long Island originally and moved to Rock Hill, SC during my Junior year in high school, talk about an ADJUSTMENT . The first time one of my teachers looked at me and told me to "Put my book up" I sat and looked at him with a blank stare and thought he was crazy. After he got mad because I had no earthly idea what he meant, he finally re-phrased and asked me to "put the book away". To this day it still makes me laugh.

"Coke" is a general term for all types of carbonated beverage. i.e. "What type of Coke would you like?"

There is no such thing as sneakers down here....they're all "Tennis Shoes". I got made fun off non stop the day I spilled SODA on my SNEAKERS and made it known throught the cafeteria in school.

It was all maddening at the time, but I am pretty well adjusted now. Now the only time I get made fun of is when I go to Long Island and people ask me where I'm from and I tell them Long Island!!!
I agree that whole "tennis shoe" thing is going to be an adjustment. I asked one of my children's teachers what they needed to bring for gym (it's called PE, here!) and she said: "just tennis shoes." I thought Tennis shoes??? Why on earth would six year olds be learning to play tennis in gym??? LOL!
Also "recess" is called "commons"...what is that?

Old 04-02-2007, 04:55 PM

105 posts, read 244,090 times
To all participants - what a delightful thread! I am blessed to have lived in 7 states & traveled to all but 12. One of my favorite elements are the "regionalisms" that I encounter. Folks have a tough time pinpointing where I am from as my speech tends to be a blend of all the places I've been. I can be "totally stoked" (CA) about the "wicked" (ME) cold weather thats causes the tourists to "pahk their cawh" (MA) & head indoors while me & Brender(read - Brenda) stand in the door-yard (a Maine driveway) & talk about Cuber (all of NE-think Kennedys) , AYUH! (ME again). So brudda, you stay going with me? (HI-pidgin) Are ya'll comin' along? (TX). Mahalo (HI again) for your time!
I hope NO area loses its local language, however silly it may sound to others!
BTW - as a native Texan, I will never lose the "ya'll" or the "Ma'am" & "Sir"
LONG LIVE LOCAL COLOR!

Last edited by Aulani; 04-02-2007 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: clarification of comment

Old 04-02-2007, 05:19 PM

64 posts, read 225,184 times
I find the "NC slang" quite endearing....I love to hear locals speak thier language and often find when I'm up in the area for a while I naturally pick it up...... If you can't accept how the "locals" speak then you shouldn't be here.....Now, I'll chat with ya'll later.....

Old 04-02-2007, 05:47 PM

105 posts, read 244,090 times
Default I totally agree, ayuh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingLife View Post
I find the "NC slang" quite endearing....I love to hear locals speak thier language and often find when I'm up in the area for a while I naturally pick it up...... If you can't accept how the "locals" speak then you shouldn't be here.....Now, I'll chat with ya'll later.....
My funniest "slang" memory comes from my, at the time, Jr. High school daughter when she moved from So. Cal ("like, TOTALLY!") to MA with me. She came home from school telling me how all the kids said things were
re-taaaaaahded" (yes, the very un-PC term - "retarded") - but didn't understand why they thought she sounded weird!
If my job transfer happens as planned, I truly look forward to learning the local lingo, but I still predict that I will confuse people about my background!

Old 04-02-2007, 07:34 PM

362 posts, read 1,345,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post

That's hilarious...I had the opposite problem! I grew up in Louisville, KY (now I live in Phoenix), and we used the "coke" and "tennis shoes" slang there, too. After college, I moved out west (first CA, now AZ), and if I was running into a convenience store for a group of people (or something similar), people would look at me cross-eyed when I'd ask them what kind of Coke they'd want. They'd say things like, "I didn't know there's more than one kind of Coke." I was thinking, "Huh? These people have never heard of Sprite or Dr. Pepper or anything?" It was sooo confusing for a while! He he.

Also, my parents are originally from New York, so when I was a kid and they would say, "sneakers" in front of my friends, I would get soooo embarrassed, because all of my buddies would always make fun of my parents for calling tennis shoes "sneakers." LOL

Another regional slang...I went to college in Indiana, and there were a lot of people from Illinois and Wisconsin there. In parts of IL and WI, they call water fountains "bubblers" and they call Coke "pop." Those took me a little while to figure out...

Old 04-02-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDWTM View Post
That's hilarious...

Another regional slang...I went to college in Indiana, and there were a lot of people from Illinois and Wisconsin there. In parts of IL and WI, they call water fountains "bubblers" and they call Coke "pop." Those took me a little while to figure out...
HEY! I have a BUBBLER in my house! And I'm not from IL or WI! I actually heard that term used by someone in NJ and found it so fitting for a watercooler, that I continue to use the word!

Old 04-02-2007, 11:13 PM

116 posts, read 422,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKE1989 View Post
Don't worry if your children go to CMS they will learn the slang.. just wait until one comes home and tells you to "mash the button". The slang and stupidity is here you just have to shut up and listen for it. I find it truely entertaining.
Would you like to reveal where you're from so we can discuss that? Apparently, they don't educate people there on the proper spelling of the word "truly."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: