Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 06:40 AM

299 posts, read 1,071,879 times

Advertisements

Ok, I was sooooo disappointed to read posts regarding Palmetto Bugs and spiders.

First, I've never seen a Palmetto Bug. I looked up pics when I found out you have them in NC. I always told my husband that if his company transferred him to Texas (for example) I would not be going with him because of the giant flying cockroaches. But... we're moving to NC so I am going to have to learn to deal with them. Are there some methods you all can share with me for trying to keep them out of your yard? Plants or sprays or something? Do these things come into the house???? One of the posters on the subject said she could hear them crawling all over her deck a night, like swarms of them. Are they THAT bad?????? (I'm getting the willies just thinking about it.)

Second, the spiders. I was soooo disappointed to hear you have Black Widows. I HATED that about California. We were afraid to sit on out patio because EVERY time we went out there, there were juvenile black widows in the nooks and crannies of the underneath sides of our patio chairs. I'm not thrilled about the Brown Recluse either, but they had those in CA ,too, and we NEVER saw one. How common are these spiders in NC? (Hopefully not as common as the black widow is in CA.) Are there precautions one can take to avoid them? Do I have to worry about my kids playing outside?

Oh, and a third concern... chiggers. I read a little about them. Am I going to have to worry about my kids getting bit playing out in the yard? Is there a spray or something to keep them away?

Anything else I should know about besides these pests, that might come as a shock to a midwesterner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 06:49 AM

172 posts, read 535,839 times
knock on wood..the house that I'm in now I don't see a lot of palmetto bugs (maybe 3 in my house in 4 years)..my old apt was really close to a creek and I unfortunately had to deal with them more than I wanted to...whatever the phobia of roaches is, I have it..I'm deathly deathly afraid of them..just reading your post about them all over someones deck about made me run out of my office

Old 04-24-2009, 06:56 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSagess View Post
Ok, I was sooooo disappointed to read posts regarding Palmetto Bugs and spiders.

First, I've never seen a Palmetto Bug. I looked up pics when I found out you have them in NC. I always told my husband that if his company transferred him to Texas (for example) I would not be going with him because of the giant flying cockroaches. But... we're moving to NC so I am going to have to learn to deal with them. Are there some methods you all can share with me for trying to keep them out of your yard? Plants or sprays or something? Do these things come into the house???? One of the posters on the subject said she could hear them crawling all over her deck a night, like swarms of them. Are they THAT bad?????? (I'm getting the willies just thinking about it.)

Second, the spiders. I was soooo disappointed to hear you have Black Widows. I HATED that about California. We were afraid to sit on out patio because EVERY time we went out there, there were juvenile black widows in the nooks and crannies of the underneath sides of our patio chairs. I'm not thrilled about the Brown Recluse either, but they had those in CA ,too, and we NEVER saw one. How common are these spiders in NC? (Hopefully not as common as the black widow is in CA.) Are there precautions one can take to avoid them? Do I have to worry about my kids playing outside?

Oh, and a third concern... chiggers. I read a little about them. Am I going to have to worry about my kids getting bit playing out in the yard? Is there a spray or something to keep them away?

Anything else I should know about besides these pests, that might come as a shock to a midwesterner?

Here's the best advice you'll ever get about these animals:

Forget about them. Just push them out of your mind.

The Palmetto bugs will leave you alone, just keep your kitchen clean.

If you're doing yardwork, wear a pair of gloves and you'll be safe from black widows. Around here they tend to be on ground level in dry places... under rocks, around wood piles and such.

There are no brown recluses. The only way they get here is if someone brings them in a box from their previous residence.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
The Palmetto bugs will leave you alone, just keep your kitchen clean.
German cockroaches are the ones that will invade your kitchen if you don't keep it clean..palmetto bugs will appear anywhere in your house..they will fly at your head and try to kill you...ok ok...that last part is what I think they're doing to me..but they're water bugs..you're more likely to have them if you're close to creeks or streams. I would advise against keeping bowls of cat food outside close to the house..they're attracted to that as well

Old 04-24-2009, 07:16 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,899,683 times
Emma is correct. The German cockroaches are the pains. They are smaller than the palmetto bugs. They were a big problem in London. I remember grabbing my water glass one night and drinking one. Yum! Yum!. Discusting! I have been lucky since my move to the Charlotte area. I have not seen either a roach or a spider. I am somewhat a fanatic about spiders. I buy the spray that kills them for one year and spray the perimeter of the house every quarter as well as the corners of my garage. I have not seen one bug in my house since it was built. Remember, the palmetto bug is the state bird of South Carolina and deserves respect. As far as the black widow. At least she was married.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:24 AM

what spray do you use for the outside of your house? like I said, I have been very lucky to only see a few..and actually 2 of them were already face up dead when I found them (thanks kitties)...the one that flew at me and tried to kill me was THE biggest one I've ever seen..you would've thought someone was trying to murder me b/c I was running around screaming...my cats were very interested in it until they got close and saw how big it was...if they could've spoken, they would've said "yeah..I don't think so, that thing is way too big for me to take down" :lol:

Old 04-24-2009, 07:28 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,830,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSagess View Post

I am originally from So Cal, been here 2 1/2 years. So far I've only seen 1 flying cockroach, DH was on the porch trying to smash it as it was flying at him and I was inside screaming, litterally. I don't do well with bugs at all, I can't stand the "crunch" sound, makes my stomach turn just thinking about it. If I absolutly have to smash a crunchy one I will scream so I can't hear it. Flying June Bugs, hate um! Like I said I would be the neighbor screaming, running and arms flying about, DH just laughs at me as I am screming "get it off, get it off!" while he is tellilng me to hold still.

Ticks-neighbors dog had 2 yesterday. Make sure your pets are on Frontline and heart worm medicine are musts. If I had a tick embedded on me someone best have a seditive on hand, one of my biggest fears.

Chiggars-haven't had one and don't care to, small red itchy spot I might could handle, tick-see above

House Centipedes-yeah, found a dead one in the sink after we moved in to our home and told DH I wasn't going to bed until I knew what it was. Unfortunately I had to smash 2 live ones when DH was not home. Fast and lots of legs.

Ciada bugs-mostly hear them and thank God I've never seen one, ewww.

The large Black and Yellow garden Spider-one word, huge!

Yellow Jackets-got stung last year and I'll take a bee sting over that any day.

Copperhead Snakes-poisonous, know what it looks like.

Black Snakes-good to have around

mosquito's-finally bought spray this year, I plan on not having 10 to 12 bites at a time through out the summer, an almost itch free summer would be nice.

As Native Son said I try not to think about the bugs, sometimes it's hard.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Emma is correct. The German cockroaches are the pains. They are smaller than the palmetto bugs. They were a big problem in London. I remember grabbing my water glass one night and drinking one. Yum! Yum!. Discusting! I have been lucky since my move to the Charlotte area. I have not seen either a roach or a spider. I am somewhat a fanatic about spiders. I buy the spray that kills them for one year and spray the perimeter of the house every quarter as well as the corners of my garage. I have not seen one bug in my house since it was built. Remember, the palmetto bug is the state bird of South Carolina and deserves respect. As far as the black widow. At least she was married.
I thought the mosquito was the state bird?

Old 04-24-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
I am originally from So Cal, been here 2 1/2 years. So far I've only seen 1 flying cockroach, DH was on the porch trying to smash it as it was flying at him and I was inside screaming, litterally. I don't do well with bugs at all, I can't stand the "crunch" sound, makes my stomach turn just thinking about it. If I absolutly have to smash a crunchy one I will scream so I can't hear it. Flying June Bugs, hate um! Like I said I would be the neighbor screaming, running and arms flying about, DH just laughs at me as I am screming "get it off, get it off!" while he is tellilng me to hold still.

that sounds exactly like me ...nice to know I'm not alone

Old 04-24-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post

When DH and I first got married (almost 19 years ago) he always kept a waterglass on his night stand. We had silverfish really bad and one morning after drinking out of his glass that night was a dead silverfish. Thank goodness he didn't drink it. Thank God for bottled water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte