Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 10:11 PM

6 posts, read 8,104 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info. I am also in IT. My previous contracting gig in NC ran for a good 2 yrs and was over due to budgetary constraints. If wachovia can even do 12 months, I will be happy to leave the current full time position(, as I still did not move from NC)... ofcorse hoping that things wil get better by then...and contracting gets to where it used to be...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 05:29 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,209,727 times
It doesn't make sense for Wells to maintain two complete technology divisions, Wells and Wachovia. Over time, one is going away as they merge. My guess is that a lot of Wachovia is going to be shutdown and taken over by Wells existing IT over time. For practical purposes, Wells is really Norwest in Minneapolis.

Might be good short term opportunities for IT contract jobs in Charlotte, but I would not bet on it being permanent. You will need another plan if you want to iive here.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:19 AM

You are right, From the project description it looked like, migrating current wachovia software to Wells Fargo software. From the information I got from the recruiter, it will run from 6-12 months, with a scheduled release in May 2010 and can go after that.

The reason I am interested in getting back is, I have not yet relocated to GA and my family is still in NC and my wife is still getting montly extensions on her current contract....which may be renewed for another 6 months or so.

I know that contracting was not how it used to be..previously if given a two week notice, one could find another before two weeks or one more week tops. I guess now, they do not bother about giving any notice...and to find a new one..is taking few months..

Any idea if contracting in charlotte has gotten any better this past few weeks..?

Old 08-12-2009, 11:50 AM

769 posts, read 2,219,782 times
IMO, the thing to remember about the contracting positions that are being filled now, both at Wachovia/Wells Fargo and BofA, are merger related, and once the merger is completed will probably go away. So the fact that there are postings out there does not to me indicate a strong long term market, but rather an "interim" surge to accommodate the extra work.

Just be sure to check things out carefully. I was hired 6 weeks ago for a 12-18 month contract through Wachovia (Wachovia and Wells are still separate entities for a lot of business functions). I was let go yesterday morning, with just enough notice to gather my things and turn in my badge, because they hadn't gotten funding before they started the project. There seems to be a lot of confusion because of the duality of management that exists in a lot of groups.

In short, I agree with the others. I know it's a pain for you to have to work so far from home, but I wouldn't give it up for anything!

Old 08-12-2009, 06:07 PM

Thank you ellemaew for your input. Your post certainly throws more light on the current situation with wachovia contracting.

Sorry to hear that you were let go. I hope you find something soon. Wish you best of luck. Do share your job search results.

Thank you all of your for you valuable inputs. Hopefully this would help me make the correct decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte