Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 11:16 PM

30 posts, read 78,726 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of interviewing for a contract IT position with Wachovia there in Charlotte. The thing that I do is kind of niche, and they did say that it's being carried over into Wells, and that this position is considered a 'long term' sort situation.

I'm pretty reticent to take a contract (and move) to work for really any bank, but it does seem like a pretty good gig - can anybody comment on any rumblings about the stability of the jobs there?

Where would be the best place to live for a reasonable commute - the most important thing for me would be quality schools, I have elementary school aged children.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 07:08 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,866,734 times
Which complex would you be working in? Wachovia had some cuts shortly after the merger,but they've slowed now. Not sure that there wont be more, but bear in mind that WF has to maintain adequate infrastructure for what is essentially another division; that is, all of Wachovia's customers cannot be served by WF current staff, so there will be alot of redundency.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:57 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,221,381 times
For a contract job, if you have to move you could ask for a guaranteed time frame? I.E. if I up and move for this job, can I make sure I get at least 3 months/6 mo. etc, or you pay for my move. It's dangerous because they could say, never mind, we'll find someone else. But I did that on my last contract job, made sure it was at least a 6 month contract.

As far as job stablity, who knows. If you don't have to sell a house or pay much to move though you never know. If you had to sell a house, move kids, etc and have a job where you are at.. I wouldn't do it.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Which complex would you be working in? Wachovia had some cuts shortly after the merger,but they've slowed now. Not sure that there wont be more, but bear in mind that WF has to maintain adequate infrastructure for what is essentially another division; that is, all of Wachovia's customers cannot be served by WF current staff, so there will be alot of redundency.
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that the job would be at complex on the north side of Charlotte.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
For a contract job, if you have to move you could ask for a guaranteed time frame? I.E. if I up and move for this job, can I make sure I get at least 3 months/6 mo. etc, or you pay for my move. It's dangerous because they could say, never mind, we'll find someone else. But I did that on my last contract job, made sure it was at least a 6 month contract.

As far as job stablity, who knows. If you don't have to sell a house or pay much to move though you never know. If you had to sell a house, move kids, etc and have a job where you are at.. I wouldn't do it.
It's a 6 month contract, but the position is considered permenant - not project oriented. The timing is really ... interesting. I'm currently living in Texas, and renting a place. The owners of the house have been re-assigned back here and have offered us a buy out on the lease. We don't have to take the deal, but we are certainly thinking about it, and this coming up is just too coincidental.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:18 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiker View Post
It's a 6 month contract, but the position is considered permenant - not project oriented. The timing is really ... interesting. I'm currently living in Texas, and renting a place. The owners of the house have been re-assigned back here and have offered us a buy out on the lease. We don't have to take the deal, but we are certainly thinking about it, and this coming up is just too coincidental.
If it's a better deal, go for it

I got kicked out of BofA last year. Technically, I ejected myself off on a chute, before my jet was gonna crash "for sure".

Since then, Wachovia and TIAA have been calling me to get back to Charlotte, but I don't want to yet and have been having a better job over here.

When your contract ends in six months, the market's gonnabe slightly better. 2010 will flag the start for recovery. Recovery will be complete by 2012. It's my gut feeling that the road to recovery will be long.

But if you have a permanent, longer than six months job in Texas now, don't move.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:19 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,866,734 times
Quote:
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that the job would be at complex on the north side of Charlotte.
You'd be fine in most any area immediately adjacent to the CIC (your complex). If you were looking at a map of Charlotte, I'd advise you to focus on places in the area between Sugar Creek and I-85, north,with no boundary. All of the schools in that area are good to excellent. Your commute time would be 15 minutes or less, generally.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Wierd, kind of sounds like my situation. I was working a 6 month contract in Texas though. I left there and came here. if it's a 6 month contract, you are renting, no lease issues, why not. Do you have a job in Texas though? Texas is one of the most stable places to live right now (well other than Houston), so I wouldn't be quick to leave if you have something stable. NC is a bit cooky right now, I really like it out here and there will be jobs at both Banks for a long time to come, how many and in what capacity is a different story. If you wanted to come out here though, ie. want to live in the Charlotte area, sounds like a good time to do it.

If you are going to be in the complex off WT Harris, some good apts right there. I used to live 5 minutes from it and have friends over there.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
Wierd, kind of sounds like my situation. I was working a 6 month contract in Texas though. I left there and came here. if it's a 6 month contract, you are renting, no lease issues, why not. Do you have a job in Texas though? Texas is one of the most stable places to live right now (well other than Houston), so I wouldn't be quick to leave if you have something stable. NC is a bit cooky right now, I really like it out here and there will be jobs at both Banks for a long time to come, how many and in what capacity is a different story. If you wanted to come out here though, ie. want to live in the Charlotte area, sounds like a good time to do it.

If you are going to be in the complex off WT Harris, some good apts right there. I used to live 5 minutes from it and have friends over there.
Yeah I have a job here. I'm a DoD contractor in San Antonio. It's generally pretty stable -- However, there is a mandate out requiring security certifications. Depending on your job and level of access dictates what certification is required. For me it's a certication called CISSP, and I have until November to get it. That particular certification is not insignificant - and not in any way related my particular specilaization. The way I see it, I have until November to find something else.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:48 AM

Ahh, well good luck and welcome to Charlotte.. We are here to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte