Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 04:11 PM

362 posts, read 1,348,233 times

Advertisements

Here in Phoenix we have tons of lizards in our back yard, and I don't mind one bit...mainly because THEY eat the BUGS that I DO mind having in my yard/house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 12:19 AM

2 posts, read 4,503 times
I'm writing from LA. I thought I would give you a few tips since you are considering this area. This is an amazing city. I love living here. There is more to do than is possible to imagine. And then if you do get bored you just head for Las Vegas.

This is a city of unlimited opportunity and lots of sunshine. That's the up side. On the other hand. Like NYC, to really enjoy the place you need big $$$$. Oh, you can do it on the cheap, many do, but then why bother putting up with everything that can make living here difficult.

People wise? Well everytime I meet a girl I keep one hand on my wallet. It seems my ability to provide is what most women in West LA (Beverly Hills/ Westwood)seem interested in. Being attractive is expected. This is not a great people place.

First off. No one is actually from here so there's no sense of community. You can meet nice people but its rare. Now, you may be thinking this is just my experience. No, EVERYONE complains about how cold people here are.

I'm from New Orleans originally, so being friendly is in my genes.I think the ethnic breakdown is mostly responsible for this problem. LA is now less than 30% caucasian but more than 50% hispanic... so if your Mexican, you probably see this whole thing very differently.

Good Luck, Frankieagogo

Old 04-05-2007, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieagogo View Post
I'm writing from LA. I thought I would give you a few tips since you are considering this area. This is an amazing city. I love living here. There is more to do than is possible to imagine. And then if you do get bored you just head for Las Vegas.

This is a city of unlimited opportunity and lots of sunshine. That's the up side. On the other hand. Like NYC, to really enjoy the place you need big $$$$. Oh, you can do it on the cheap, many do, but then why bother putting up with everything that can make living here difficult.

People wise? Well everytime I meet a girl I keep one hand on my wallet. It seems my ability to provide is what most women in West LA (Beverly Hills/ Westwood)seem interested in. Being attractive is expected. This is not a great people place.

First off. No one is actually from here so there's no sense of community. You can meet nice people but its rare. Now, you may be thinking this is just my experience. No, EVERYONE complains about how cold people here are.

I'm from New Orleans originally, so being friendly is in my genes.I think the ethnic breakdown is mostly responsible for this problem. LA is now less than 30% caucasian but more than 50% hispanic... so if your Mexican, you probably see this whole thing very differently.

Good Luck, Frankieagogo

My husband and I lived in Los Angeles for two years (2002-2004), and the reasons we left include all of the reasons you just mentioned, plus some others (traffic, pollution, safety, etc). I agree about the people being cold and superficial.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:39 AM

116 posts, read 423,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOYAS View Post
My husband and I lived in Los Angeles for two years (2002-2004), and the reasons we left include all of the reasons you just mentioned, plus some others (traffic, pollution, safety, etc). I agree about the people being cold and superficial.
Speaking of superficial LA, once when I was visiting there, I saw a young woman was riding her bicycle down Santa Monica Blvd wearing sunglasses. I know there's nothing unusual about that except it was about 10:00 at night!

Old 04-05-2007, 01:41 AM

116 posts, read 423,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCborn View Post
Speaking of superficial LA, once when I was visiting there, I saw a young woman was riding her bicycle down Santa Monica Blvd wearing sunglasses. I know there's nothing unusual about that except it was about 10:00 at night!
Oh, and I forgot to mention all the guys I saw working out in the gym in LA while wearing sunglasses. I was so tempted to ask them if the sunny ceiling was bothering their eyes.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:54 AM

523 posts, read 2,913,306 times
So, it sounds like Charlotte is a better choice than LA, huh. But the weather is so great in LA!! And I've always wanted to explore the West...In the job search, I am definitely leaning towards Charlotte. I should know in a couple of weeks if I even have an offer.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu2 View Post
So, it sounds like Charlotte is a better choice than LA, huh. But the weather is so great in LA!! And I've always wanted to explore the West...In the job search, I am definitely leaning towards Charlotte. I should know in a couple of weeks if I even have an offer.
If you would make approximately the same amount in both cities (salary-wise), your money would go MUCH MUCH further in Charlotte than in LA or The Valley (San Fernando).

Old 04-05-2007, 01:36 PM

204 posts, read 776,219 times
Just left Charlotte yesterday after visiting w/our son. You will not be disappointed. It is a beautiful city with much to do,restaurants galore,nightlife, great transportation-busses,trolleys,etc. Our son lives downtown and loves it-currently renting but will be looking to buy. We are seriously thinking of moving to the area.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:56 AM

523 posts, read 2,913,306 times
Has anyone been looking into buying a house recently? Is it a buyer's or seller's market in Charlotte right now? How about with new homes, is it easy to negotiate upgrades? Are any home prices coming down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: