Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 09:53 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Problem seems to be most newcomers want square footage over 2500 and you won't find that in Myers Park for under at least $800,000. Those you listed are adorable, I love them too, but they are "bungalows" and actually not really in Myers Park -one of those you listed is actually in Selwyn Park. Most Myers Park homes are well over the million mark these days. I would think in that price range realtors would be ENCOURAGING clients to look there LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 09:54 AM

478 posts, read 2,045,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston2000 View Post
Yeah, you can find more expensive homes here, but if you want to be in what I consider the nicest area of Charlotte- take a look for yourself.
Totally agree. And there are some deals to be had, below that price bracket if one can watch the market for a little while. We've seen some incredible homes in these areas come and go over the last month. Exciting! (and *character*!)

Old 05-15-2007, 05:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauton View Post
Well, I'm hopping on the bandwagon now and moving down to North Carolina just like everybody else! Just a few questions though, first.

What are the nicest areas to live in in the Charlotte area? I do have a family and would like a safe area with a good family-friendly community. I want to be able to have a decent house with a nice yard. Cost is not an issue, if a nice area costs more, that's fine (I guarantee you it doesn't cost as much as Boston). I see a lot of stuff on these forums about Union County, is that nice? To be honest, it seems very rural and conservative, which, growing up in Boston you can imagine I have had very little exposure to either. I would probably prefer Mecklenberg County to the surrounding suburban/rural ones for that reason, but I don't have the mindset that NC is going to be like MA at all anway (hopefully better). There must be something Union County does right, though, since I see it so much. It may be more of an adjustment, but if anybody thinks that Union County or another rural/suburban area is better than Mecklenberg for families, or just overall, then I'm all for it anyway.

What kind of religious diversity is there in the Charlotte area? My husband is Catholic and I am Jewish (so that means by Jewish law, so are my kids) and I have always associated the south with having very little of either. It may just be a stereotype though. I know there are some places in this country where kids of other faiths are made fun of in school, but I can imagine NC isn't like that, right?

Do many transplant kids develop local accents? I'm just curious, it would not be a big deal if they did. I would like them to keep their current accent really, but in the scheme of things it doesn't matter too much.

Does the area feel like the North because there are so many transplants? I'm not leaving to get rid of rude Northerners, or to find Southern hospitality, it would be nice, but I don't really care. I just want to enjoy a warm area that actually has a stable (and growing) economy, and a city that doesn't look like it's in the rust belt (which Boston is). I don't intend to impose my lifestyle on anyone, I want to enjoy whatever the lifestyle is down here. I'm just asking to see if I will have to majorly adjust the way I live, or if it will pretty much be 'same old, same old' but with weather 10 degress higher.

Thanks. I'll probably come up with more questions, but there's a start.
I'd like to be the first TRUE southerner to welcome you to Charlotte. Winston2000 gave you excellent info, as well as most of the others. The truth is, you can pay almost anything you would like in Charlotte and surrounding area. WHAT accent? The Myers Park area is mainly old money and the area Winston2000 recommended is mixed, and a very nice area. I would recommend that area to anyone, especially w/kids. The west side is not recommended, as well as the east and inner city north. Further north is Lake Norman (appx 500 mi. of shoreline w/great fishing/watersports) and you can spend big bucks up there to be near the water, but it's only a half hour from most of Charlotte. Your best bet is on the South side of town, inner city or all the way to the border of SC. If I were moving here from ANY location, that's the only area I'd be looking at. Besides the location, make sure to get the best info possible from your realtor, etc. regarding the school system. I'm a product of 12 years of this school system ('54-'66) and I consider myself fortunate, because being a native and very politically aware, I don't think kids in the public system get what we USED to get. But that's probably everywhere. I'd really recommend private schools. You'll love the religous diversity here, and don't worry about the accent that you'll pick up. When you go back up north, they'll consider it cute and endearing and will all gather around hoping some of it will rub off on them.

Ya'll come now, ya hear?

Old 05-15-2007, 08:04 PM

525 posts, read 1,803,699 times
Talk about stereotyping lol...I am amazed at what I read sometimes, maybe it comes from travelling and things as a kid? I don't know...I never thought much about accents..does that really matter? I have also never had anyone really ask about my religion??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte