Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 03:53 PM

116 posts, read 422,470 times

Advertisements

From what I've heard, Charlotte is not a good area right now for investing in rental properties. I've heard it's impossible to find properties to rent where the rent covers the mortgage payment. Is this true, or is this only true in certain parts of Charlotte? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 04:13 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,547,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCborn View Post
From what I've heard, Charlotte is not a good area right now for investing in rental properties. I've heard it's impossible to find properties to rent where the rent covers the mortgage payment. Is this true, or is this only true in certain parts of Charlotte? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Just the surface scanning I've seen, it seems to be true. I've seen "investors take notice" ads only to do the #s and find that the mortgage, condo fee, is either at or higher than the comparable market rental for similar units. When contacting the sellers they pitch the "the property appeciation while you have negative cash flow" angle. After I stop laughing I thank them for there time.

But I think there out there, just have to dig a good amount of digging.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:16 PM

116 posts, read 422,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Just the surface scanning I've seen, it seems to be true. I've seen "investors take notice" ads only to do the #s and find that the mortgage, condo fee, is either at or higher than the comparable market rental for similar units. When contacting the sellers they pitch the "the property appeciation while you have negative cash flow" angle. After I stop laughing I thank them for there time.

But I think there out there, just have to dig a good amount of digging.
Thanks, Mike. I'll continue to do some digging and try to find the crystal ball that's going to show me what neighborhoods are truly going to appreciate in the next few years while I try to manage my negative cash flow.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:48 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCborn View Post
Thanks, Mike. I'll continue to do some digging and try to find the crystal ball that's going to show me what neighborhoods are truly going to appreciate in the next few years while I try to manage my negative cash flow.
I'm by no means an expert, and haven't been here that long (less than a year). I still have some rental properties back in MA that I'm holding on to and was looking to pick up another investment property here. I was hoping for something like a duplex. I'm not interested in a flipping. My spidey sense leads me to the University Area as a relatively nice area where rentals should be in demand, and where professionals would want to live. Again, I'm waiting at least 6 more months to so further absorb Charlotte and get a feel for the different areas.

It's fun though!

Old 04-09-2007, 06:10 PM

193 posts, read 245,466 times
Quote:
My spidey sense leads me to the University Area as a relatively nice area where rentals should be in demand, and where professionals would want to live.
Your "spidey sense" is a little off. Check out the crime data for the university area.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:30 PM

82 posts, read 319,625 times
The deals are out there. I work primarily with real estate investors, and I'd say I see a good deal about 2-4 times a month.

If you're looking to buy & hold (rather than flip), there are always opportunities.

Click on the website in my profile to check out values in some popular neighborhoods where folks like to invest.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:33 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,769,088 times
I would agree with the above post.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEmHorns View Post
Your "spidey sense" is a little off. Check out the crime data for the university area.
And it didn't take long for the normal "sky is falling" re: crime.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:00 PM

193 posts, read 245,466 times
Quote:
And it didn't take long for the normal "sky is falling" re: crime.
I think that you underestimate the amount of violent crime in the university area. You especially underestimate the number of people whose lives have been personally touched by violent crime in the area. Property crimes I can deal with but violent crime is an entirely different matter. This is not a place that "professionals would want to live."

Last edited by HookEmHorns; 04-09-2007 at 08:14 PM..

Old 04-09-2007, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEmHorns View Post
I think that you underestimate the amount of violent crime in the university area. You especially underestimate the number of people whose lives have been personally touched by violent crime in the area. This is not a place that "professionals would want to live."
If your post wasn't off topic, I'd offer a general response to address the broader need of those who seek to enlighten us on the sobering reality of "crime in Charlotte". Dealing with the need to spread this into as many threads as possible.

You're welcome to start a thread on the impact of Crime in University and whether professionals actually would want to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte