Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 10:50 AM

254 posts, read 983,328 times

Advertisements

My hubby wants to move to a warmer climate, although I am quite happy in Cincinnati. I thought NC may be viable, but I have been hearing horror stories about Charlotte..the influx of new people being so great that the city is not keeping up(schools, infrastructure). Good schools are especially important to me, since I am currently in an excellent district. I also dont want to be sitting in traffic all day..can anyone elaborate????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 08:29 PM

396 posts, read 1,631,165 times
You are correct that Charlotte and its surrounding areas are experiencing a tremendous amount of growth thanks to all of the newcomers (like me). It would be hard for any city/county to keep up with this kind of growth. I heard that something like 85,000 people moved to Charlotte/Union county in the past 18 months (correct me if I'm wrong...please). That certainly isn't enough time for infrastructure to follow. What's so great about Charlotte is that even though all of our new kids are practically bursting the classrooms, the people here are gracious and welcoming anyway. Our kids certainly are not lacking in any part of their education due to the amount of kids in the school. The schools simply open up new classes when they need to. A new 5th grade opened in January to accommodate the growth. Union Co. plans to open 4 new elems. next year to help out with the ever increasing population choosing to call this their new home. I have lots of positive things to say about the school my kids attend and the district that accommodated us. Thank you Union Co.
As far as traffic is concerned, when you have thousands of people trying to get to one little location in uptown...you are bound to have a little traffic. I think it's much better than Florida and maybe not quite as pleasant as...say...rural Iowa. You make it work if you want to. My husband leaves at 7:00 and comes home at 3:00 and avoids all of it.
As for the influx of newcomers in NC...you are right. There are lots of us. And again...thank you to the North Carolinians for welcoming us. I hope all of the newcomers continue to be as nice as the ones I've met on this forum. Good luck in your decision.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:02 PM

24 posts, read 74,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincylifer View Post
My hubby wants to move to a warmer climate, although I am quite happy in Cincinnati. I thought NC may be viable, but I have been hearing horror stories about Charlotte..the influx of new people being so great that the city is not keeping up(schools, infrastructure). Good schools are especially important to me, since I am currently in an excellent district. I also dont want to be sitting in traffic all day..can anyone elaborate????
hi. i just moved to idaho from charlotte... awful place, i was there 17 years...outside of charlotte, union county much better, much safer. schools will be better... north carolina freeways leave much to be desired.. if you can go east of charlotte you will be better off... charlotte has crummy schools, gangs by the truck load. no mall shopping at night.. unless you bring your own gun... i hated it and am in idaho, small town, no gangs... kinda nice. hope this helps, i don't mean to rain on your parade but buyer be ware.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:35 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooleythecat View Post
hi. i just moved to idaho from charlotte... awful place, i was there 17 years...outside of charlotte, union county much better, much safer. schools will be better... north carolina freeways leave much to be desired.. if you can go east of charlotte you will be better off... charlotte has crummy schools, gangs by the truck load. no mall shopping at night.. unless you bring your own gun... i hated it and am in idaho, small town, no gangs... kinda nice. hope this helps, i don't mean to rain on your parade but buyer be ware.

Gangs by the truckload that is interesting....

Old 04-11-2007, 10:37 PM

473 posts, read 1,578,979 times
Red face Very well put...

Quote:
Originally Posted by indraman View Post
You are correct that Charlotte and its surrounding areas are experiencing a tremendous amount of growth thanks to all of the newcomers (like me). It would be hard for any city/county to keep up with this kind of growth. I heard that something like 85,000 people moved to Charlotte/Union county in the past 18 months (correct me if I'm wrong...please). That certainly isn't enough time for infrastructure to follow. What's so great about Charlotte is that even though all of our new kids are practically bursting the classrooms, the people here are gracious and welcoming anyway. Our kids certainly are not lacking in any part of their education due to the amount of kids in the school. The schools simply open up new classes when they need to. A new 5th grade opened in January to accommodate the growth. Union Co. plans to open 4 new elems. next year to help out with the ever increasing population choosing to call this their new home. I have lots of positive things to say about the school my kids attend and the district that accommodated us. Thank you Union Co.
As far as traffic is concerned, when you have thousands of people trying to get to one little location in uptown...you are bound to have a little traffic. I think it's much better than Florida and maybe not quite as pleasant as...say...rural Iowa. You make it work if you want to. My husband leaves at 7:00 and comes home at 3:00 and avoids all of it.
As for the influx of newcomers in NC...you are right. There are lots of us. And again...thank you to the North Carolinians for welcoming us. I hope all of the newcomers continue to be as nice as the ones I've met on this forum. Good luck in your decision.
I agree with you as far as the infrastructure. We came from FL so the overcrowding in schools and highways are nothing new to us. I actually think Charlotte is much better than Ft. Lauderdale/Miami and Tampa, but that's just my personal opinion. I'm not familiar with Monroe and live in Meck. I also don't believe you can compare a tiny town in Iowa to Charlotte, NC. Apples and oranges! I hope you find what you are looking for...

Old 04-11-2007, 10:57 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
Gangs by the truckload that is interesting....
People like this crack me up! Don't they realize that even if any part of their description of Charlotte is accurate, no one will take any of what they say seriously because it is so ridiculously extreme? They could accomplish so much more if they just stated facts without the nasty commentary. Instead, all they accomplish is looking like nutcases.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:03 AM

473 posts, read 1,578,979 times
Red face Definitely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
People like this crack me up! Don't they realize that even if any part of their description of Charlotte is accurate, no one will take any of what they say seriously because it is so ridiculously extreme? They could accomplish so much more if they just stated facts without the nasty commentary. Instead, all they accomplish is looking like nutcases.
Couldn't agree with you more...

Old 04-12-2007, 07:38 AM

396 posts, read 1,631,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooleythecat View Post
Hey, Dooley. We just moved from Idaho to Charlotte. How funny. I hope you are loving it there as much as we love it here. Idaho is great!! However, the treasure valley does have one of the largest populations of the Latino Gang based out of LA in the nation..per capita. FYI. But depending on where you bought...you'll never see them.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:36 PM

476 posts, read 1,576,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I also agree. It never ends. It is one thing to be honest about a PERSONAL EXPERIENCE but to make blanket statements instilling the fear of God into folks is so insane. I just don't understand.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:51 PM

193 posts, read 245,466 times
I you are happy in Cinci I don't see why your husband couldn't put up with a little cold weather. No offense to you but I think that a lot of the people who come south and "hate" it are spouses in tow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte