Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 08:14 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,754,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Anyway, I find it disheartening as well that Bev stepped up to the microphones to announce that she'd finish the road and now we seem to be further away from that point thanks to her financial mandate. Aarrgghh!
Politicians are GREAT at making promises to help get elected and increase their approval ratings....

If Lassiter was smart, he'd pound on Anthony Foxx who did not criticize Perdue last week for what happened...no one else has except for McCrory
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 05:43 AM

246 posts, read 584,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsobchak View Post
What I don't understand is how they completely ignore the biggest road problem of all - the southern loop of 485. They won't even mention it. It's only two lanes, and half of south Charlotte and half of Union County travel on it every day.

I once recorded a 33-minute mile. 11-minute miles are standard.

That part won't be widened until 485 is finished, which is fair IMO.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:52 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,211,371 times

Old 07-20-2009, 04:53 PM

295 posts, read 1,299,347 times
I'm with most of you. I'm a die-hard Republican, but I can understand the national sentiment for anyone other than Bush II. What I don't understand is how anyone in Charlotte could vote for Bev. That one made no sense.

I figured we'd get at least 70% in Charlotte region and 90% of the Republicans in the entire state. Well, it was probably 100% Republicans in the state, but how even the dems in our region voted for another Raleigh governor is beyond me.

How many times, Charlotte?

Old 07-20-2009, 05:09 PM

5,301 posts, read 5,267,051 times
Charlotte reaps what it voted for here...I don't feel sorry for you there...how Meck County could vote for Perdue over McCrory (who was probably the only GOP candidate that I would have voted for) is beyond me....but imo, the conversion of Independence Blvd to a freeway is probably more important....outerbelts do nothing but promote more suburban sprawl...finishing Independence and then getting a light rail line along there would be a better thing for Charlotte than just being able to drive around the city on 485...in almost all major cities, the worst traffic is usually found on their outerbelts (ie 285 in Atl, 270 in Columbus, 465 in Indianapolis, 610 in Houston, 495 in DC and so on).

Old 07-20-2009, 06:40 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,402,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samohtal View Post
I'm with most of you. I'm a die-hard Republican, but I can understand the national sentiment for anyone other than Bush II. What I don't understand is how anyone in Charlotte could vote for Bev. That one made no sense.

I figured we'd get at least 70% in Charlotte region and 90% of the Republicans in the entire state. Well, it was probably 100% Republicans in the state, but how even the dems in our region voted for another Raleigh governor is beyond me.

How many times, Charlotte?
blame straight ticket voters for Obama

Old 07-21-2009, 06:10 AM

246 posts, read 584,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Charlotte reaps what it voted for here...I don't feel sorry for you there...how Meck County could vote for Perdue over McCrory (who was probably the only GOP candidate that I would have voted for) is beyond me....but imo, the conversion of Independence Blvd to a freeway is probably more important....outerbelts do nothing but promote more suburban sprawl...finishing Independence and then getting a light rail line along there would be a better thing for Charlotte than just being able to drive around the city on 485...in almost all major cities, the worst traffic is usually found on their outerbelts (ie 285 in Atl, 270 in Columbus, 465 in Indianapolis, 610 in Houston, 495 in DC and so on).

I've got news for you: there's nowhere to sprawl up here in N. Meck. We're already filling in. It's not like this last 5 miles is going to end up winding through the country (like, say, the stretch from Harrisburg to Mint Hill). Finishing that last section would provide an easier route to Mtn. Island Lake, Charlotte-Douglas, I-77, and Lake Wylie.

Further, it is absurd for the largest city in NC to have an incomplete beltline while Raleigh continues to push through a second one and while Fayetteville is trying to secure funding for one (Lord only knows why).

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, I think that the powers that be know that widening the southern stretch of 485 before completing the last 5 miles is political suicide. If the south charlotte folks really want their 485 congestion eased, they need to hop on the bandwagon to get the last 5 miles finished.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:24 PM

5,301 posts, read 5,267,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBGNCSU05 View Post
I've got news for you: there's nowhere to sprawl up here in N. Meck. We're already filling in. It's not like this last 5 miles is going to end up winding through the country (like, say, the stretch from Harrisburg to Mint Hill). Finishing that last section would provide an easier route to Mtn. Island Lake, Charlotte-Douglas, I-77, and Lake Wylie.

Further, it is absurd for the largest city in NC to have an incomplete beltline while Raleigh continues to push through a second one and while Fayetteville is trying to secure funding for one (Lord only knows why).

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, I think that the powers that be know that widening the southern stretch of 485 before completing the last 5 miles is political suicide. If the south charlotte folks really want their 485 congestion eased, they need to hop on the bandwagon to get the last 5 miles finished.
Point taken on the already sprawled arguement in North Meck....Raleigh is being stupid...the triangle is already horribly sprawled out (worse than even Charlotte is)...another beltline further out would just promote even more of that...when that city w/ benefit much more by focusing more dense development in DT which that city's dt is very dead compared to Clt...I don't understand the Fayetteville loop either, but I don't understand in freeway in Eastern NC when very few people actually live out there.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:31 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,977,708 times
Here's the deal, I'm a Democrat and I voted mostly Democratic, but I did not vote for Purdue and I couldn't get myself to vote for Purdue, simply b/c I didn't trust her. I just felt that she just another hack from down east who pretty much rode Obama's coattails to the governor's mansion. She doesn't have a plan to fix our economy, all she ever talks about is raising taxes and creating more taxes. If people here in NC weren't so complacent and started demanding change in Raleigh, we wouldn't continue to have the same old good 'ol boys from down east continuing to run things in Raleigh, THAT'S THE PROBLEM! I just hope that come 2012, we can finally have a REAL governor that's about something and not another hack from down east, I'm already tired of Liar Purdue!

Old 09-16-2009, 06:28 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,609,211 times
Bev Perdue talks about I-485 - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte