Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 07:56 AM

3 posts, read 8,741 times

Advertisements

Well I don't want to discuss what kind of fear makes sense or who was there first. It is also not funny to attach snake pics to a message about snake phobia........ anyway I was prepared for this kind of messages as some people are just this way...

Snakes are around in this area - fully accepted
If I live close to the wood or the lakes outside of the city it is clear that there will be snakes entering the house or the garage...

The only question is - are they just even everywhere possible or most likely in rural areas? Are there safe areas within Charlotte to live without the fear to find a snake in my house or garden?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 08:14 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,715,154 times
To answer your question, there are no areas in the Charlotte region that are "safe" from snakes. The southern US climate is a good fit for snakes so there are many here in every community from rural to the city.

I am too very affraid of snakes but I think therapy can help people like us be more understanding and willing to accept living peacefully with them.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:18 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,861 times
Default "just this way"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germans View Post
Well I don't want to discuss what kind of fear makes sense or who was there first. It is also not funny to attach snake pics to a message about snake phobia........ anyway I was prepared for this kind of messages as some people are just this way...
Wasn't exactly my intent to demean your fear but I at one point was like you. I had this weird fear of snakes until I encountered them in the wild and did some homework on them. If you are around them more, learn about their habits and types you may have less of a fear. I think snakes, like so many other things are people fearing the unknown rather then the actual object of their phobia.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:21 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Are you serious?

Yes, of course there are snakes here. Just like there are snakes almost everywhere in the U.S. We had black snakes slither through our backyard in NJ many times.

They are harmless unless you bother them. Just like 99.99999% of any animal (or human) living today.

Also, FYI snakes are very good creatures for our environment. I hope you don't teach your kids to be afraid or fearful of positive things in nature (ie snakes) just because you are.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:37 AM

569 posts, read 1,410,107 times
Quote:

Snakes are around in this area - fully accepted
If I live close to the wood or the lakes outside of the city it is clear that there will be snakes entering the house or the garage...

The only question is - are they just even everywhere possible or most likely in rural areas? Are there safe areas within Charlotte to live without the fear to find a snake in my house or garden?
It was not exactly my intention to scare you with the snake photo. The reality is if you live in NC more than likely going to run across a few snakes. Snakes are everywhere in NC rural or not. I live less than 5 minutes from downtown and I run across them at my house pretty often. I have run across 2 just this year but then again I spend a lot of time outdoors. Hope this helps answer your questions.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:04 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,465,780 times
I've lived here 2.5 years now and have not had direct contact with a snake yet...and that's 1.5 years of living in a house with over 1/3 acre of woods and stream. It's completely hit or miss. And if you do see one in an urban environment, they're likely trying their damnedest to get out of your way and back into some cover. I'd say not to let your understandable fear prevent you from moving to our great area. Chances are, you will likely run into one or two over some years...but it'll be a 10 second ordeal that you'll soon forget.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:05 AM

3 posts, read 8,741 times
I am not afraid of them and I don't hate them, I just cannot bear the sight of them and my body reacts accordingly - although I think they are fascinating animals. Therefore I try to avoid them rather than to harm them. I don't need any advices about therapy...I just needed a kind of risk assessment as I haven't been to this part of US before. Well finally I think I got my answers unfortunately my worst fears were confirmed.

By the way - I am a very responsible person and of course I teach my children to love and respect nature. They have no problems with snakes or any other creatures.

Ok, thank you very much indeed for this open discussion.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:15 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,822 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

We are thinking about moving to Charlotte and now I have learned that a lot of snakes are living in North Carolina.

I have a strong phobia about snakes and cannot get rid of it. So I was wondering how to handle living in Charlotte.

This is a serious matter to me, therefore I would appreciate a lot if there are residents of Charlotte here to tell me about the situation with snakes.

Is it possible to live in Charlotte without snakes in the backyard or in the house? Are there any areas I could live with my family (the youngest child is 2 years old) without the fear of a snake in the house or around the house?

I have travelled around Australia, several states of US, Borneo, Singapur, China and Vietnam without being exposed to snakes. Of course they were around but I could avoid them. As travelling is limited time maybe I was just lucky, but to move to a place is a permanent matter. So this is a very important case to me!

Thank you for all serious information and help!
Trust me, if you were able to avoid them in Vietnam, Borneo, and other states, I don't know why you would be concerned in Charlotte. I lived in California when we would have rattlesnake warnings telling people to stay out of their yards if possible. About the only snake you may come across is the common black snake which is harmless. If you are real concerned, use mothballs around areas accessable to snakes. My wife and I used them in Florida where we had giant rattlers, corals, and moccasins. Overall, don't worry about it. To get snake bitten around here, you have to work at it. I would be more concerned about spiders

Old 07-17-2009, 09:17 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Are you serious?

Yes, of course there are snakes here. Just like there are snakes almost everywhere in the U.S. We had black snakes slither through our backyard in NJ many times.

They are harmless unless you bother them. Just like 99.99999% of any animal (or human) living today.

Also, FYI snakes are very good creatures for our environment. I hope you don't teach your kids to be afraid or fearful of positive things in nature (ie snakes) just because you are.
Good posting. I totally agree. Eveything has its purpose.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:19 AM

873 posts, read 1,804,492 times
You should fear the 2-legged snakes a lot more than reptiles that don't have arms, legs, stingers, wings, etc!!! I'm in the business of dealing with pests and wildlife. I've been bitten more times than I can count by snakes but always when I was capturing them. None of their bites amounted to anything and I've been bitten by some BIG snakes!! I'd rather be bitten by a big snake than stung by a bunch of yellow jackets or bitten by any dog! Fear of snakes is taught by somebody else that fears them and was taught....etc. It's irrational. The only venomous snake in the Charlotte area is the Copperhead and they are not aggressive unless you step on them, etc. It's not like they're going to spot you from 50 feet away and come charge you and try to bite you!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte