Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 10:24 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times

Advertisements

The main snake we have here and I had to kill one recently that was trying to come in my front door is the "black racer" Even though they arent poison they will chase you like a black mauba. The biggest one I ever killed was OVER 6 FEET LONG......real nasty. Maybe you need to stay up nawwwth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 12:09 PM

873 posts, read 1,803,321 times
And what do you suppose it would have done with you if it had caught you???? What could it do?? Nothing much! I just can't understand the "supposed" need to kill them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Even though they arent poison they will chase you like a black mauba.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:44 PM

973 posts, read 3,303,836 times
I can understand the fear of snakes. I don't have a phobia but I'd probably scream like a little girl if I saw one. Unless you are well educated about them, how will the average person know if a snake is poisonous or not?

With that said, I wouldn't let the fear of snakes keep you from moving here. Just keep it in perspective. Unless you live in a wooded area or have a stream/river nearby, your chances of running into a snake are minimal. You're more likely to see the tiny little salamanders than anything and they run for cover if they see you. It's not as if we are in the midst of the rainforest.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:03 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,462,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
...use mothballs around areas accessable to snakes...
This is a rumor and does nothing more than stink up your property (and your neighbors who are downwind). I've seen snakes slithering along just fine near mothball-laced gardens.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:42 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,825,036 times
Didn't mean to give you the hibbie jeebie's. I have a bad bug phobia so I am sure my neighbors think something is wrong with me as I am always swatting, running, jumping, flinching or screaming. I am so trying to be better. I even found a baby praying mantis on my car last week and got it to crawl on a stick and put it in our crape myrtle tree.

Just know what the copperhead looks like. I would be more worried of a deer running out in front of my car than a snake.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:50 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,825,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSweetHomeNY View Post
I've been here a year and seen two. One was in a woodsy area where there was no trail.. my fault for going back there! Husband killed him =D And the other was a black snack I saw scurrying into someone's garage.. ew, how dare he. I really wanted to leave a sign on their garage saying "SAW SNAKE COME IN, BEWARE!" That's about it. I'm terrified of them also. I ALWAYS have my eye out though when on trails and even not on trails.. just look at the pathway ahead of you to see if the way is clear.. or, don't move here. But, chances are you should be fine. If I saw one in the house, I would definitely die and move back up north!

nascarnancy.. that is an ugly snake. he looks all wrinkly. well, they're all ugly.
DH and I were laughing about that, not sure why he was all wrinkly. He sat there for about 5 minutes and then just slowly moved on. Since our garden hose is black I always double check before I grab it, I may triple check now!

Old 07-17-2009, 02:27 PM

22,317 posts, read 29,400,492 times
OMG if I saw that snake on my window like that, I would just DIE and then take pics and send it out to everyone, LOL

Old 07-17-2009, 03:12 PM

873 posts, read 1,803,321 times
We have ONE venomous snake here - the copperhead, and it isn't aggressive. There are no other snakes here that look like it. One merely has to look at some pictures to see what it looks like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
Unless you are well educated about them, how will the average person know if a snake is poisonous or not?

There is a snake repellant on the market - Snake-A-Way, and the active ingredients are sulfer and naphthalene. Naphthalene IS moth balls!!

Old 07-18-2009, 08:12 PM

98 posts, read 618,885 times
I have never seen a live snake before and saw one a few weeks ago at my job in the parking lot. I looked out the door and thought that's odd who took off their black belt and threw it on the ground? Quickly realized it was not a belt as it started moving. I seriously wanted to cry because it was very near my car. I have lived in Boston almost my entire life and never once saw a snake there. I come here and see all sorts of animals of the wild.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:59 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
I have lived here all of my life and only encountered copperheads 4 times.Once was deep in heavy woods and I almost stepped on the thing. He was coiled and ready but small. (foot and a half) The biggest was about 20 miles from town in a state park. He came across the grassy trail within 2 feet of me going full speed. No lie it was at least 4 feet long and fat. You dont see them often near homes in the city. Mainly the black rat snakes which are everywhere, They arent really mean but did see one chase my uncle out of his shop. My uncle was trying to kill it and it got mad..He was running full speed and the snake was behind him but gave up the chase after about 50 feet....I dont mess with them unless I see one close to my house or door. Wife is VERY afraid of all snakes but not me. Maybe its because shes from Jersy.LOL The most dangerious and very common problem we DO have is black widows..I killed one several weeks ago that got into my boat and scared the (censored) out of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte