Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 03:23 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,548,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryGirl View Post
.. as I've said before, I do think Americans unfortunately need to have government "help" them make the best choices.
Seriously? Lol. I'm just going to be quiet

Old 07-29-2009, 03:24 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Anni
This is just a question.

Why would the government pay incentives to companies for energy efficient appliances when they are already available? Is it for them to develop more energy efficient ones? Our appliances in the UK have a sticker slapped on the front of them that tells you the energy efficiency.
Would the govt rather pay for China to develop appliances specifically for the US market rather than allow european manufacturers into USA?

I wonder if the government has plans to develop more efficient car engines-for eg diesel, or allow more european car manufacturers into the US?
If so concerned about being "green", energy efficiency and global warming this might seem logical?

Or are they just going to put the owness on the individual and let the car manufacturers carry on producing more of the same?

Sorry-that was actually lots of questions!
I believe we already have regs in place requiring the auto industry to reach higher standards w/ fuel efficiency by some date. I haven't paid much attention to that as it is not anything that we consumers can do a thing about.

Yes, our appliances are already energy rated. The incentives are to increase efficiency, if I read that section correctly. The legislation does not spell out anything at all about where the appliances will be manufactured, of course. But seeing as how they are mostly manufactured in Mexico and China these days, one would assume that won't change in the future.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:30 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,024,837 times
If anything (i.e. this legislation) directly increases the total cost of ownership on a home, it's going to have an adverse impact on an already battered market. Things will get even worse.

To the self proclaimed contrarian OP... I don't understand the post and follow-ups at all. Available cash meets great value (buyer's market) - I have no clue why taking advantage of the incredible steals available due to this market makes you a trail blazer or something. Based on what I've seen here, you're not extending yourself and making small, safe bets. Make a large investment in housing based on those "gut" feelings you have and get back to us in 18 months!

Otherwise I don't see how it's any different then all us lemmings.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:47 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,032,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
If I had $18,000 to put all new windows in, I would be glad to do it. But I don't and these windows are not a problem for me - they are double hung windows and correct for the period of my house. They are not a problem for millions of folks who have them in their homes. But if, God forbid, my hubby died tomorrow and I needed to sell our home . . . I wouldn't be able to do that unless I upgraded those windows. I see that as a problem - not just for me - but for millions of others.
$18K??? I have 13 windows and they are ceiling to floor on the first floor. My windows (top of the line) only cost $5k.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:53 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryGirl View Post
I see where you're coming from... as I've said before, I do think Americans unfortunately need to have government "help" them make the best choices.
First off I will say I enjoyed MOST of your post. Logical, and forthright. But, the referenced part is particularly troublesome to me. Liberal, Obama"s "One World" type thinking. I'm not going to go any further with this as it is OT and should not be discussed here.

But, let me assure you if this gubermint keeps going in the same direction, you will get your wish but will rue the day you ever wished that happened.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
$18K??? I have 13 windows and they are ceiling to floor on the first floor. My windows (top of the line) only cost $5k.
That was the estimate. But even $9000 is $9000 I don't have to spend on windows. I am still paying off hospital and physician bills, for one thing, and tuition, for another.

My point is - I am happy w/ my windows . . . it would be nice to have the tilt in double hung ones for easier cleaning. But even $1000 to upgrade windows in order to sell my house, when they are perfectly good windows is something I don't feel I should have to do just b/c the gubment decided everyone must comply. If I am happy with them, and the potential buyer is happy with them . . . then why should Uncle Sam get involved?

Our lives are getting totally regimented w/ federal regs. And for what? Maybe I already use less electricity than the average person with or without retrofitting my home. See what I mean? The regs won't even let me have a wood stove - unless it is a NEW woodstove that meets the regs. And they won't let me sell my old woodstove - it has to be DESTROYED. Yes, that is in the regs.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:59 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,739,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
First off I will say I enjoyed MOST of your post. Logical, and forthright. But, the referenced part is particularly troublesome to me. Liberal, Obama"s "One World" type thinking. I'm not going to go any further with this as it is OT and should not be discussed here.

But, let me assure you if this gubermint keeps going in the same direction, you will get your wish but will rue the day you ever wished that happened.
I see nothing wrong with giving incentives to people that make more responsible choices and companies that choose to offer them. Want to give rebates on energy efficient appliances & whatnot? Great! Free rain barrels for lawn watering? Great! Even better if they're made locally! I think it crosses the line when we're going to get punished for not making the choices Uncle Sam wants us to.

Please, no need to belittle my political views or to even assume you know what they are. This is a good discussion and I'd like to keep it alive not locked. I was only trying to express a little solidarity with the one poster in favor of the Cap & Trade by saying I could see their point and fundamentally the ideas could work if applied in a completely different way that doesn't punish people that don't want to conform to new standards.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:55 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,739,058 times
Excuse the double post...

So, skimming through what I *think is the correct bill, I think it's possible that it's not actually stating that homes MUST be retrofit to be sold or to be bought with an FHA loan. From what I gather there will be special "energy mortgages" available with fees waived, mortgage insurance lowered, etc. if the home is certified or highly rated. Additionally, people that WANT to make improvements could qualify for some gov't reimbursement (up to 50% of the cost, more if the home is historic) to make changes.

Still not sure if I'm reading this right, or reading the right sections. If this is the case, then it still may or may not be a waste of federal $$$ depending on your political views but it doesn't seem to infringe so much on home owners.

It is endorsed by the National Trust for Historic Preservation, which is at least somewhat encouraging since as I understood it before it seemed to be a death sentence for older homes.

These are the links I was reading, but if anyone has read more and wants to point out what I'm missing, go for it... if we work together maybe we can make some sense out of this stuff!

http://www.thomas.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c111:3:./temp/~c1118O1z3v::
(see sec. 202)

http://www.thomas.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c111:3:./temp/~c111cAwat8::

edit: Meh, guess the links don't work, the top one was the American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009

Last edited by JanuaryGirl; 07-29-2009 at 09:06 PM..

Old 07-29-2009, 09:03 PM

I assume language has been changed from the original bill - so hopefully what you are reading is correct (couldn't get your links to work).

The original bill flatly stated (and I put links in other threads on CD) and copied the language, as well, that FHA loans will no longer be made on homes that were not energy certified. I thought that was outrageous and hope that has been changed.

I read the bill right after it came out and posted on several different threads re: the info I had found. I then sent letters to legislators, hoping someone would be paying attention to some of the punitive stuff in that bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte