Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 07:35 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times

Advertisements

I’m speechless. The other states should ban together and take legal action against this…

New York City Aids Homeless With One-Way Tickets Home…
Article: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/29/ny...1&ref=nyregion

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 07:44 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,397,108 times
I don't see anything wrong with this. It's not like they are dumping them elsewhere. These families came from other places to NYC shelters. NYC Partnership for the Homeless is doing a job to provide these families resources. They only send them elsewhere, when a family member, clearly states they are willing to help them. Yes, they assist these families temporary in substaining the aide to the homeless relative by giving them dollars. I rather see them back with family than in a shelter.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:53 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,003,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_QueenBee View Post
I don't see anything wrong with this. It's not like they are dumping them elsewhere. These families came from other places to NYC shelters. NYC Partnership for the Homeless is doing a job to provide these families resources. They only send them elsewhere, when a family member, clearly states they are willing to help them. Yes, they assist these families temporary in substaining the aide to the homeless relative by giving them dollars. I rather see them back with family than in a shelter.
To be honest I seriously doubt NY is doing this out of the kindness of their hearts. They are looking for a way to unburden themselves of this particular population. Many people these days are homeless due to the current economy but a lot have chronic issues and will find themselves repeatedly homeless regardless of what help they may receive; just next time these particular people won't be homeless in NYC.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:56 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
I'm with Queen Bee. The very best thing for homeless folks is to get them back with family, where they have a support system and a roof over their heads while they try to get on their feet. My understanding is that once they arrive in NC, local social services provide help.

Now, I am concerned about all the people coming into this state and signing up for social services. I think we all are - b/c our state budget is in the red. However, that being said, I am more worried about the plight of the homeless. If they can't find a supportive system, how can they ever get back to work? What worries me at this point in time is - with so many people out of work - THAT is the problem - WHERE are they gonna find work? This means they may have no choice but to continue on social services for a long time. It is a double-edged sword.

However, as a society, if we are not willing to step up to bat and help the most vulnerable amongst us - the frail and elderly, children and those who literally have no shelter - then we have become totally devoid of a soul. These are people moving in with family. Churches and social service agencies must help. And the rest of us should volunteer in whatever way we can - Time, Treasure and/or Talent.

Our society is gonna fail if we cannot figure out ways to keep families together and functioning as a unit.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:00 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,980,371 times
I think it's brilliant!!!!

Old 07-29-2009, 08:06 AM

310 posts, read 672,367 times
*raises hand* I am devoid of a soul. I'll be the first to admit it. Never got a lick of help when I was a street walker.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:12 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
When I was last in Galveston, TX, they were having problems w/ a huge homeless population. When I say problems - I mean - vagrancy type issues, drug problems (and needles tossed around), sickness and communicable disease amongst the homeless, untreated mental illness, etc. I was shocked to find out that people were actually flocking to Galveston b/c they perceived it as being warmer weather than where they were living (so at least if they are outdoors, it is not in the cold) and they have many social services agencies and faith-based programs there.

Homelessness is a problem all over the country and it is only going to get worse. Many of the homeless are educated folks who simply lost their jobs and have no money to get somewhere else where they may have friends and/or relatives.

Galveston was trying to deal with the problems head on by providing services thru/ many different state, local and faith-based agencies. I think we would all be wise to figure out ways to assist those who need a hand up in getting settled - here or elsewhere - so they can get back into the mainstream.

It is what it is . . . and sadly, I think the homeless situation is only going to get worse in the short term.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:24 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
I honestly think its financially cheaper in the long run if you help some of these people, rather than just let them be on the streets and drain our hospital care (hospitals are forced to treat everyone). If you at least try to get them w/their families, it gives them a shot possibly at being a productive member of society...

Don't most of you agree?

Old 07-29-2009, 08:25 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times
For the recent arrivals, I can somewhat understand. There are several unemployed “recent arrivals” to Charlotte I’m sure many would love to go back where they came from. But regarding the NY program, the article notes that “Many of them are longtime New Yorkers”…that’s my problem with the program!! That shows you this is not a program to try and help people, it’s a program to move NY’s problems elsewhere. The program should be limited to only to recent arrivals, IMO.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:33 AM

310 posts, read 672,367 times
I have the solution! Soylent Green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte