Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 06:46 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,212,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I hate to tell you, but, only a true Englishman educated in England is a true representation of what the normal English language sounds like.....
Which of the major dialects in the UK do you believe is what "normal English" sounds like? Southern English, Midlands English, Northern English, Welsh, Scottish, Irish, or the multitude of regional variations within those. There are places there where English is very hard to understand by anyone outside of the locality. The point is there is no standard "normal" there.

If anything the difference between the various accents and dialects in the USA are minor in comparison. This is because Americans pretty much all standardized on Webster's definition of English back in the 1800s. During that time, high ups from England would remark that Americans spoke better English than the English.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:09 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,038,729 times
I would have to defer to the Queen here. Yes, many Americans cannot understand the dialects spoken in many of the areas of the UK, but, since the Queen is the leader of the country, I would suggest that her English is the most proper and correct.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:18 AM

6 posts, read 25,669 times
Well, I was going to comment on the original thread of this line but now apparently we are just making fun of how people talk and dividing northerners and southerners as two separate races!

Ease up people.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:25 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,705,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (:Matt:) View Post
Well, I was going to comment on the original thread of this line but now apparently we are just making fun of how people talk and dividing northerners and southerners as two separate races!

Ease up people.
I might have a comment on the OP but have forgotton what it was.

Your right.
LOL JE

Old 08-02-2009, 09:26 AM

716 posts, read 1,544,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
I assume you must think you speak Queens English

Oh no, the kind of english I am talking about is the easy to understand english. Its the kind of english you hear from the local news anchors. I always wondered why southerners arent hired as news anchors? Has anyone else noticed this too?

Old 08-02-2009, 09:36 AM

171 posts, read 272,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman704 View Post
As said before, this is America, and people have the right to move and live wherever they want, along with bringing their less than desirable political/social/environmental thinking etc with them. My answer to that is invoking my right to move somewhere that better suits the way I think. Some resentment is to be expected, after all, a lot of us WERE here first. It's just the way people are. You can't flood peoples' home with all kinds of out of area whacky thinking and philosophies and just expect them to smile and not say anything. Well, I don't expect that of people anyway. All I know is that it's perfectly acceptable for everyone ELSE to "preserve their culture" when going somewhere, but when the native population doesn't like it, THEY'RE the ones being jerks. Just my observation, not directed at any specific transplants on the board, gotta keep it friendly!

For some people, it s not a matter of finding the right city. It s finding the right century. or era. I saw some nice real estate in the 15th century you may be interested in, some even got a medieval view.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:39 AM

310 posts, read 672,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
Even if the southerners don't like the yankees they mine as well face it that the yankees will soon outnumber them 10:1
Yeahhhhhhh but we have all the guns.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:42 AM

310 posts, read 672,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clavoski View Post
For some people, it s not a matter of finding the right city. It s finding the right century. or era. I saw some nice real estate in the 15th century you may be interested in, some even got a medieval view.
I'm not quite sure what you're trying to imply. If you're implying that I have some sort of "medieval" view of things; Great. Awesome show, great job you're a pompous ass. Don't presume to judge me because I refuse to fall in rank and file with the rest of the zombies.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:57 AM

34 posts, read 93,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Are you kidding? I said Charlotte, not North Carolina and I was poking fun at a topic that had to have been made in jest. No serious person who has a clue would make a post like that. I don't think I need to read about history, but considering what you said, I think you might want to read up a bit about this yourself. Your post about faking a Southern accent made me laugh because nobody would do this. Anyone who knows something about dialects knows that a southern accent is more than adding "y'all" to very sentence.

Oh about being respectful. I believe it was you who started this topic concerning how you were tired of people moving here because they were ruining Charlotte and thus didn't meet your approval. Where is the respect in that?

I never stated "I" was tired of people moving to the Charlotte/NC region. I was just posting what I was told by individuals who would rather remain anonymous their views of "out of towners" coming to their areas wanting to snag up all of the jobs creating competition/ people from other regions such as the North/West parts of the US who has went to the Charlotte/other NC areas informed me that they discrimated against when they spoke thier normal dialect are faking an accent to sound as they are originally from the south... I don't agree with that theory since it's like covering up one lie with another lie... I have no problem with anyone moving to a different area to make a fresh start. I posted this thread to inform others of what is happening between some of the locals and the "transplants" point of views which I feel should be "Changed" As our President says "The focus should be on Change we can believe in"... This country has come too far to resort in calling someone "Yankee" to identify someone who's from the north, (Which I've read in some posts in this forum) or another epithet to describe someone who's from the south...

Old 08-02-2009, 10:01 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,705,167 times
My thoughts on this thread: Put a match to it and start over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: