Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2009, 02:54 PM

58 posts, read 258,236 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about the Catholic churches in the Charlotte area? We are fairly new to the area. I've attended St. Matthews in Ballantyne but it seems really big. Ideally, I'd love something a little bit smaller, with a good children's program where the kids can go to Sunday school during mass. Is there anything like that in the area? Any big difference amongst the Catholic churches in the area? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 03:37 PM

755 posts, read 2,493,798 times
Since Catholicism is the 2nd-largest denomination in Charlotte, you'll be hard-pressed to find a small church, but...

I loved St. Philip Neri in Fort Mill. It's a wonderful community and I was a Sunday School teacher there. I believe they have changed the schedule so kids can go to faith formation while Mass is going on. (For the record, I object strenuously to this - If you want to raise your child in the Church, children need to attend church in addition to their religious education)

Old 08-03-2009, 03:46 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,361,611 times
We attend St. Matthews and during the 9 and 10:45 AM masses they do have a session for the K-2 kids, just during part of the Mass, for them to learn a little about the readings at their level. Faith Formation is on the weekdays. They also have a nursery during these masses, which frankly worked very well with my 2 year old last Sunday, who simply does not sit still or get anything out of the mass right now.

I don't know of many other Catholic churches in the area.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:59 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
St. Gabe's is a really nice parish, but again - it is big. I have attended mass there and liked it.

http://www.stgabrielchurch.org/

Have never attend St. Peter's but here is website:

St. Peter's Catholic Church: Home

And there's St. Vincent de Paul:

Saint Vincent de Paul Catholic Church / Welcome!

And St. Pat's

St. Patrick's Cathedral - Charlotte, North Carolina

And St. Ann's

St. Ann's Parish

And St. Luke's

St. Luke Catholic Church - Mint Hill, North Carolina

But I think most priests are gonna encourage you to get settled in the the parish that serves your particular street address.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:24 PM

58 posts, read 258,236 times
Thank you for all your responses. I will check out the different churches. I also agree that children should be part of mass, learning how to sit and listen, but on the other hand, my 2 year old is easily distracted and not quite ready to sit the whole time and I hate him disturbing others who are trying to listen!

Old 08-03-2009, 07:21 PM

755 posts, read 2,493,798 times
Oh, didn't realize they were THAT young. I was lucky and married a non-Catholic. Little children stayed home with Daddy.....

Old 08-04-2009, 08:23 AM

198 posts, read 642,204 times
We attend St Gabe's and really like it. They have quite a lot of Masses (Sat night, 4 Sun morning and one Sun night, plus several Spanish Masses), so if you prefer a smaller congregation you can always attend a less crowded Mass. Also, the parish is split into many "clusters" based on home address, and many of the social activities and groups are within your cluster. This encourages smaller communities within the parish, if you find the size of the parish intimidating. We aren't active within our cluster, but then again we don't have kids (you don't have to have kids; it just seems that most people do).

St Gabe's is a fairly young parish, probably due to the attached school. Lots of young families. In fact, my husband and I avoid the 9 am Mass on Sundays because there are just TOO many kids!

Old 08-04-2009, 12:09 PM

407 posts, read 851,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowpumpkin View Post
I also agree that children should be part of mass, learning how to sit and listen, but on the other hand, my 2 year old is easily distracted and not quite ready to sit the whole time and I hate him disturbing others who are trying to listen!
God never said a child should not attend mass. If he can be quiet and still for an hour, you have him/her better controlled than any of our kids.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:17 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nacmd70 View Post
God never said a child should not attend mass. If he can be quiet and still for an hour, you have him/her better controlled than any of our kids.
At our church in Ohio they had a soundproof room for parents w/ noisy children to sit in and the Mass was piped in thru a speaker. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte