Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 05:10 PM

873 posts, read 1,804,890 times

Advertisements

I let the King Snake go in my yard when I got in from that job. No telling where he is now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRock View Post
Can I borrow your King snake for awhile?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 05:19 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,154,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugguy View Post
The King Snake was in a wood pile. While I was digging him out, I spotted the Copperhead. So did the King Snake! The King Snake coiled around the Copperhead (that is bigger than the King Snake)! Then started eating him! King Snakes are mild-mannered, not aggressive and will kill other snakes! You should value them if they're around your property!

Awesome example!!! Good job!!!

Old 08-11-2009, 06:34 PM

16 posts, read 35,017 times
King snakes are definitely aces, but also keep in mind that black snakes do the same thing. Never kill a king or black snake. If you see either on your property, just let it pass by.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:25 PM

Black snakes don't do "the same thing"! I've had black snakes and copperheads together for weeks at a time! But they're beneficial, nevertheless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood_man View Post
King snakes are definitely aces, but also keep in mind that black snakes do the same thing. Never kill a king or black snake. If you see either on your property, just let it pass by.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:40 PM

890 posts, read 4,328,370 times
I just found a King Snake in my swimming pool two days ago. I knew nothing about them until I did some research and found out like you have, that they kill and eat Copperheads/Cottonmouths. Well that was good enough for me. Mr. King Snake went right back over the fence so he could go back to protecting the yard! Actually we tossed him back over before I found any of this out. I took a chance. He didn't seem very aggressive.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:48 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,244,793 times
What a cool picture...good to know too...I know last year, when I was walking along the woods around my condo w/ my dog, we both were nearly attacked by a copperhead...thankfully we got away from it in time...it was w/in a foot of my leg and a few feet from my dog when I spotted it and ran the opposite way....I've seen several King Snakes around sense then, so maybe one of them ate that fella from last year b/c I haven't seen one since then.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:56 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,088,399 times
Why were you digging him out of the wood pile?

It's OK - laugh at me. But please answer my question! I really don't "get it".

Old 08-11-2009, 09:01 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,065,142 times
OK, that's just cool!! Although, it makes me wonder what might be lurking in my woodpile.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:37 AM

I was removing him from the "premises" of one of my terrified customers! If it had been MY wood pile, I'd have just left him alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Why were you digging him out of the wood pile?

It's OK - laugh at me. But please answer my question! I really don't "get it".

Old 08-12-2009, 05:52 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,830,691 times
I had posted this photo on another thread, had him in the yard about a month ago. Walked out of the house and because the sidewalk curves I didn't see the tailend of the snake and thought I had left the hose out! Anyways, if you look at him he's all wrinkly. I dedcided to Wikipedia black snakes and read a little more about them and found out why he was wrinkly.

When startled, they may freeze and wrinkle themselves into a series of kinks. If they feel further threatened, they may flee quickly or vibrate their tails in dead leaves (a form of mimicry, to make it sound like a rattlesnake). They are also capable or producing a foul smelling musk which they will release onto a predator if picked up. They spread the musk with their tail in hope of deterring the threat.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte