Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 01:44 PM

172 posts, read 584,749 times

Advertisements

I noticed several holes about 3" wide in the pine needles outside of my house. Today I saw baby snakes by them. I should mention I am terrified of snakes. I went to Lowes and got "snake away" but it says not to use it in areas where there are snakes already as it might confine them to that area. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of them. I don't want to hurt them I just want them gone. There are a lot of them and I'm afraid I'm not handling it very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 01:50 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,624,575 times
I don't know how to tell you to get rid of them without hurting them. My co-worker just found a couple baby Copperheads near her house and she had to off them.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:55 PM

518 posts, read 2,061,813 times
I would say get a shovel and cut their heads off, especially if they are copperheads, which are very popular in this area and this time of year. Just make sure the mama isn't around (if so get her too), maybe you have a neighbor or friend that could do it for you. It may be hard to tell what kind they are if they are very young, but better safe (to kill them), then sorry (if they bite you when they're older). I'm more terrified of spiders than snakes. Good Luck!!!

Old 05-06-2009, 02:06 PM

One to one combat? That isn't going to happen. It would have to be something from a distance. I do like the neighbor idea though. I have no idea what kind they are. They are very colorful. Different colors including yellow. I didn't hang around to study them. Agggh. The holes are on both sides of my front door. I will be going in and out through the garage for the foreseeable future.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:09 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,553,108 times
Chances are they are not poisionous - copperheads are very vicious looking! Browns are more prominate and harmless. Call Orkin or similar.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:14 PM

873 posts, read 1,805,068 times
We're in "snake country"! There's hardly a day that goes by that I don't get calls to go and remove snakes, and yes, I said remove - not kill! There's absolutely no need to kill everything in the world simply because we're scared of it! I relocate all species of snakes and have never in 25 years had to kill one to get rid of it. Baby copperheads or any other baby species can't bite through leather work gloves, even if you were careless enough to give them the opportunity. Baby copperheads are extremely easy to identify and anybody that knows anything about snakes would never misidentify them. Every species of snake is beneficial to the ecological system. It's sad that the solution to everything for some people is just to kill it.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:15 PM

873 posts, read 1,805,068 times
roflmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandmike View Post
call orkin .

Old 05-06-2009, 02:19 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions. I never thought to call someone to remove them. Actually I didn't know that was available. I learn a lot on this board.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:22 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,660,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugguy View Post
We're in "snake country"! There's hardly a day that goes by that I don't get calls to go and remove snakes, and yes, I said remove - not kill! There's absolutely no need to kill everything in the world simply because we're scared of it! I relocate all species of snakes and have never in 25 years had to kill one to get rid of it. Baby copperheads or any other baby species can't bite through leather work gloves, even if you were careless enough to give them the opportunity. Baby copperheads are extremely easy to identify and anybody that knows anything about snakes would never misidentify them. Every species of snake is beneficial to the ecological system. It's sad that the solution to everything for some people is just to kill it.
bugguy, I always wonder why that is. As far as I can tell, I don't think there are any more or less or different snakes here than anywhere else along the Eastern seaboard. I just had a conversation with my neighbor this past weekend about the same thing. He's seen a large black snake on occasion in our backyards. As far as i'm concerned, if that snake's that big then he must be eating well, which presumably means he's eating any bugs, rats, mice, or other vermin that might otherwise be in the house. I'm all for leaving him alone. The neighbor, unfortunately, plans to kill it if he gets the opportunity.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:29 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,831,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
One to one combat? That isn't going to happen. It would have to be something from a distance. I do like the neighbor idea though. I have no idea what kind they are. They are very colorful. Different colors including yellow. I didn't hang around to study them. Agggh. The holes are on both sides of my front door. I will be going in and out through the garage for the foreseeable future.
A baby copperhead has a yellow tail. See the other snake thred, I posted a photo of a copperhead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte