Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2008, 09:15 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,166 times

Advertisements

I saw the post on here about Brown Recluses. What other kind of creepy crawlies are there in NC? I know in TN my mother-in-law has a couple of run ins with copperheads. Here in NM we have some brown recluses, black widows, tons of snakes, nasty little scorpions and nasty big black vinagarons and of course lizards out the yahoo. We don't have copperheads here just several different species of rattlesnakes.

I like to be prepared as opposed to shocked when I move somewhere new. The scorpions were a new one for me and they definately pack a little punch with their sting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 09:18 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
Snakes of North Carolina

Old 08-11-2008, 09:52 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,166 times
Geez there are alot of snakes in NC. Alot of these we had in Texas where I am from. Do you see these in Charlotte, other than in the zoo?

What about bugs?

Old 08-11-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Geez there are alot of snakes in NC. Alot of these we had in Texas where I am from. Do you see these in Charlotte, other than in the zoo?

What about bugs?
Not all of the snakes identified are actually found in all areas of the state. Click on the photo to see the specific species habitat within the state. Out of the six poisonous species, only two are found in Mecklenburg County.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:29 AM

25 posts, read 86,194 times
Bugs are bad here. It's something that shocks a lot of people who think CLT is perfect in every way (like the high food prices and the traffic, rising taxes....etc) good for you for doing your homework!

Old 08-12-2008, 10:17 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times
Again, it depends on exactly where you live as far as not only the snakes but bugs too. I'll be honest, when we lived in CA we had a lot more bugs then we have here in the Albemarle, Stanly county areas. I have heard of other places around this state that do have an abundance of bugs but not here! I use to get mosquito bites all summer long in CA but have not even gotten one in nearly two years of living here and we live close to Badin Lake too. There are the farmers ponds all around too so it's not for the lack of water. Now at my one sons home in Huntersville and the other sons home in Troutman they both have bug/mosquito problems!

Old 08-12-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Again, it depends on exactly where you live as far as not only the snakes but bugs too.
I'd agree with that. Big difference in climate between the southeastern part of the state and the northwestern part which impacts insect and snake populations and varieties.

Keep in mind, the average annual temperature at Southport on the lower coast is nearly as high as that of the interior of northern Florida, while the average on the summit of Mount Mitchell is lower than that of Buffalo, New York.

Last edited by mm34b; 08-12-2008 at 10:43 AM..

Old 08-12-2008, 10:36 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Africanized Honey Bee
Ants
Asian Lady Beetle
Bed Bugs
Bees in Turf
Black Flies
Booklice (psocids)
Boxelder Bugs
Camel Crickets
Carpenter Ants
Carpenter Bees
Cicada Killer Wasps
Clothes Moths and Carpet Beetles (PDF format only*)
Drain flies
Earwigs
European Hornets
Eye Gnats
Fleas
Fungus gnats
Hornets and Yellowjackets
Horse Flies and Deer Flies
Lice - Biology and Control
Millipedes
Mites Affecting People
Mosquitoes and Their Control
Non-Biting Midges - Biology and Control
Pillbugs and Sowbugs
Red Imported Fire Ant in North Carolina
Scorpions in North Carolina
Spiders
Stinging Caterpillars
Silverfish
Spiders
Springtails
Termites - Biology & Control
Ticks and Tick-Borne Diseases (PDF format)
Ticks (NCDENR) (http://www.deh.enr.state.nc.us/phpm/ticks.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte