Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 08:25 PM

59 posts, read 168,932 times

Advertisements

Just moved here from PA where we had a TERRIBLE tick problem. Our dear family dog got lyme disease and died before we moved here. Just made us sick to our stomach. We were elated to move away from the tick problem there, but have been informed that SNAKES are what we have to look forward to here in NC. Is this true? How bad is it? We are looking at building in a new community with a 1/3 acrea wooded back lot with a stream behind. Is this a recipe for disaster?

My husband is absolutely TERRIFIED of snakes so ALL input is appreciated to help us with our home search. Do we do new construction on a treeless lot, a older home, etc?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 08:33 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,665,576 times
Sorry to inform but you'll likely see 100 ticks before you ever see a snake. I saw two black snakes last year, which is about 2 more snakes than I usually see. I wouldn't let snakes deter you away from any home site. So to answer your question, no, they are not bad here.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:46 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,239,580 times
I've been in the Lake Norman area for a year and I have not seen a single snake. (Unless you count lawyers and realtors...)

Old 03-10-2008, 09:23 PM

513 posts, read 2,111,416 times
I have always heard there are lots of snakes here, but haven't seen many! I saw a dead copperhead in the road once, but that's it (in over 10 years).

Old 03-10-2008, 09:33 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
There are snakes but only in their own specific habitats. So a poisonous snake such as a cotton mouth - you will not find unless you are in a swampy, marshy area or possibly around the periphery of a creek/cove in lake/river.

I believe the most often spotted poisonous snake would be copperheads, but again, they are very specific about where they hang out, LOL . . . wooded areas, under wood piles, leaves . . .

You may encounter a king snake or black snake . . . in my life, I have not seen a snake even once every five years. I saw them more often as a kid playing out in the woods . . .

As Carolina Guy said . . . you will find many more ticks than snakes. Do be aware that the deer ticks is prevalent here . . . and thus Lyme disease is possible.

I am so so sorry about your beloved dog. If you find a tick on an animal, I believe they can do a blood test to determine if the dog has Lyme disease . . . and can give him/her antibiotics, but finding the tick is the thing. I have had family members contract Lyme Disease - but w/ early treatment, it can be overcome w/o the debilitating effects.

Do not be worried about snakes here! I really have my doubts that PA has less snakes than NC - but have not checked that out . . . dont you all have copperheads up there, too?

Old 03-10-2008, 09:36 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,981,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
I've been in the Lake Norman area for a year and I have not seen a single snake. (Unless you count lawyers and realtors...)
Oops, you forgot to end that one with a smiley face.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:33 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
I am around areas that could be breeding grounds due to my kayaking and in the three years I have not seen a snake around here. Take the above advice and keep you grass trimmed and landscaping neat.

I was kayaking and my pookie inform me that a snake was approaching so I began to hit it with my paddle. I swat it really hard and it broke what they thought was a snake into two pieces.
It was just a rotted floating stick

It did not bother us again.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:29 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,404,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jones View Post
Snakes...why did it have to be snakes
Asps...very dangerous...

You go first.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:27 AM

531 posts, read 2,011,408 times
In our 3 years here I have seen only one snake. We are located near water as well, and have not found a problem with it. We keep our grass trimmed and extra brush cleaned up. If you do that there should be no problem. Best of luck to you!

Old 03-11-2008, 06:39 AM

462 posts, read 1,843,417 times
My home backs up to a wooded area which backs up to farmland and I have yet to see a snake and I spend a lot of time out in the yard, but I have only been here since last August. My buddy who has been here over a year has only seen two which one was in the area that they were excavating and it took off into the woods and the other he found on the street which he and his helper ended up taking him back to the shop and it has been the shop pet for over 6 months now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte