Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2009, 07:27 PM

42 posts, read 114,814 times

Advertisements

Hey all.

Disclaimer: I made a similar post in the Raleigh forum, but I'm torn between the two areas.

I'm looking to relocate to North Carolina from the Philly area in January or thereabout. I'm currently a student, and would be in North Carolina also, though I am planning on taking some time off between January and August to settle in, acclimate, become an actual permanent resident of the state as I intend to live there and start a life for myself there, etc.

I did briefly live in the Charlotte area during my freshman year of college but transferred out because that particular college's program was not worth the money (I'll keep you guessing as to where...). I have been looking into Raleigh, as it appears to have a better economy (and that is a highly relative term these days). It also seems to have better schools -- not that UNC Charlotte isn't a fantastic institution itself.

HOWEVER...I am a big city kind of person. Raleigh is a city, sure, but Charlotte has a bigger city feel to it. I'm also torn because I feel like Raleigh is the younger/hipper place to live, with a larger student population and its basketball rivalries and whatnot. But I loved the atmosphere of Charlotte -- perfectly southern with just the right mix of transplants, and the perfect (almost equal) distance between great skiing and great beaches.

Basically what I'm scared of is the crazy unemployment numbers. I have a retail job that I can transfer with me wherever I go, but retail isn't exactly driving the economy, and in a place with 15% unemployment I'm guessing people aren't hitting up the local malls every day for a new outfit. I'm currently working a ton of hours, saving up loads of cash, and not moving until I have a good bit of 'security.' I don't want to be caught by surprise or anything like that -- and if I'm caught by surprise, I at least want to have a little peace of mind in my savings account.

Also, since moving away in '05, it seems like the downturn in the economy has coincided with an upturn in crime. I don't remember it being as big an issue in 04-05 as it seems to be now. That could just be a difference in my awareness of it, though.

So, basically, what are my chances in Charlotte? Is it worth it to make the move there, given that I know the area better than Raleigh and enjoy it more because of that? Or would I be better off going where the unemployment rate is still at least a point below the state average and coming back to Charlotte at a better time?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. This economic situation has thrown a wrench into my once-grand scheme of returning to the area...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 07:53 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,137,406 times
is there a reason why you can't wait it out?

Old 08-11-2009, 08:16 PM

42 posts, read 114,814 times
I've been waiting for four years and I've always had something tying me down, keeping me here, or some kind of issue, etc. And now I don't -- except for my fear of the economic realities, but that fear transcends state borders, really. I just can't tell if Charlotte is way worse than it is up here, or if it's relatively equal footing. The posts I read in this forum versus the Philadelphia forum seem to indicate that people in Charlotte think it's much worse than people in Philadelphia think it is. Then again, Philadelphia hasn't been booming so maybe we're just desensitized to downturns.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:44 PM

41 posts, read 106,126 times
It is pretty rough here unless you have a job- our numbers don't lie. I'd wait it out if you can. My husband got laid off in Charlotte & we are now moving to NJ due to a lack of jobs for him in computer field. Goodluck with what you decide!

Old 08-11-2009, 11:26 PM

99 posts, read 293,124 times
I say look at Texas. Seriously, I am in your same boat and about to graduate in a year and a half. My wife and I went down to Houston and drove up to Dallas. The place is awesome. The job market seems to be more stable due to Republicans running the state government, its diverse, has culture, and definitely enough night life for anyone. I thought about Raleigh, but neother area in North Carolina seems too stable. I am sure that I could probably teach at NCCU, Chapel Hill, or NC State but the housing prices are so much more reasonable in the "real South" as well. Things happen for a reason. I wish you luck whereever you land.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:30 AM

311 posts, read 916,068 times
The malls are packed every weekend in this "recession." I think you'd be okay in retail =]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte