Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 04:57 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times

Advertisements

It would be very difficult to exceed Chick Fil A. Not only are they a very well run business, but, they have a particular following here among many evangelicals since it is essentially Christian-based.

We have a zillion restaurants here in Charlotte. I cannot think of any segment that is lacking. Having said that, many independents are going out of business under the pressure of the chains that have a lot more resources and more ability to buy in bulk, thus lowering their prices. Recently, a guy that had a hot dog cart in front of a corporate building had to go elsewhere due to low sales. The only areas of the big restaurant chains that are growing are the dollar menus and/or the $5.00 specials as another poster stated. Your price point of $8.00 is too high for this market and unless your product is especially unique, you probably would not get the traffic that you want/need to keep the store viable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 02:39 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,713,118 times
UNCC is opening an new Student Union. I think there is a Wendey's already moving in, not sure about other places.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:07 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times
Honestly I think you'd be hard pressed to start off doing 300-500 covers per day at $8.00 per check anywhere until you've established your business. Most will lose money at least the first year. Unless you can afford to do this, I personally wouldn't do it right now. JMO.

I mean, is that what you are shooting for right away? Or two years or so down the road?

Old 08-14-2009, 02:46 PM

26 posts, read 70,078 times
Talking Thanks to all who responded

Especially regarding the location.

Frank - Thanks for the UNCC student union that might be an ideal situation but they are opening soon so may be booked. What is your opinion of the university area I have read such extremes ?

njmd - by market leader I meant that Chick fil-a ia a leader in the fast / casual food court space not that they are direct product competition. I would not go beak to beak with them and definitely not Prices.

I mis-typed when I said could exceed Chick. (have to lay off the crack) A solid food court Chick. store does about 1.3, I think it is possible to get in the .9 - 1.1 arena.

Belle - Yes you can find a "complete meal" for around $5.00 ... if burger, fries and a coke constitutes a "complete meal" that are advertised nationally. But that is the lowest quality at the lowest price... my target market is not the mass market. the new kfc grill is a low price point and a better product but still mass produced for the mass market.

Sophia - Obviously I would not do 300-500 covers immediately ! Unrealistic expectations and underfunding are the 2 biggest killers. 400 - 500 is max output for the footprint and staffing. I would be happy to start with 50 covers a day with slow exponential growth until it reached a stabilized sales range.

I appreciate all the responses and welcome more ... especially regarding the location question. If I am able to pull it off you all get an invite to the Grand Opening !

B.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:09 PM

120 posts, read 237,908 times
Save your money..for a rainy day...dont do it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte