Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 05:17 PM

852 posts, read 2,467,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post

I'll not reply to your snide remark about the AOH. It may be better for you though not to insult them as they were one of the rare groups who showed up and helped promote your "festival".
You seem to think that the Irish Society of Charlotte were running this festival. They were not. It was run by Connolly's on Fifth. The ISOC were supporting them by purchasing advertising and having a representation there. The ISOC had a table there - nothing else. They support Education and Cultural activities all over Charlotte and the surrounds. Taken from their website.

[SIZE=3]The Irish Society of Charlotte (ISOC), is open to anyone
with an interest in Irish culture. We are a nonprofit,
educational, cultural and social organization, founded in

Our monthly social is most popular. It is informal and
offers different entertainment including live music, good
sing-a-longs, table quizzes, Irish dancing, and great
conversation.

We sponsor cultural and entertaining events each year
for our members and the Charlotte community. Some
examples of very successful events include: bringing
Comhaltas Ceoltoiri Éireann, the best amateur Irish
musicians from Ireland; Cherish the Ladies, the premier
all-woman ensemble on America’s Irish traditional music
scene; the Dublin City Ramblers, one of Ireland’s top
ballad groups, staging the play “Moll” by John B. Keane
and our latest - The Midnight Court - a Dramatic Reading
of the most famous comic Irish poems. We also have a
lending library of books on Ireland and by Irish authors.
We sponsor a book club; support two Irish Dance
Schools, Rince Na h’Éireann and the Walsh Kelley
School. We also participate in international community
events, such as UNC Charlotte’s International Festival;
and serve as a local point of contact about Ireland, her
people and her customs.
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 05:32 PM

852 posts, read 2,467,088 times
Quote:
I am an inactive member of the Ancient Order of Hibernians (John Cardinal O'Connor Chapter) and may become a member here so I can ensure that a festival like the one I saw on Saturday is not termed "Irish".

Oh another thing I wasn't trying to snub the AOH and I apologise if it came across that way but they are not the perfect group either and some of their members are a long way off being in touch with Ireland today.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:50 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,807,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
Oh another thing I wasn't trying to snub the AOH and I apologise if it came across that way but they are not the perfect group either and some of their members are a long way off being in touch with Ireland today.
Actually, he was the one bashing the Charlotte chapter, afterall it was they who allowed the festival to be termed Irish.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:08 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,698,512 times
I went. It was so lame. Another excuse for locals to get drunk. They weren't even playing Irish music, it was country by some unknown Jimbo.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:11 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,117,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
Actually, he was the one bashing the Charlotte chapter, afterall it was they who allowed the festival to be termed Irish.

Clearly you are mistaken. How did I bash them?? I never said it was THEY that allowed the festival to be termed Irish. What I said was that they were one of the groups who had a small table there. Nothing else.

Your statement makes absolutely no sense.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:21 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,807,131 times
Quote:
Clearly you are mistaken. How did I bash them?? I never said it was THEY that allowed the festival to be termed Irish. What I said was that they were one of the groups who had a small table there. Nothing else.

Your statement makes absolutely no sense.
You said that you "may become a member here so I can ensure that a festival like the one I saw on Saturday is not termed "Irish".

Which implies that the Charlotte AOH wasn't able to....but when you arrive, it most certainly will.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:21 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,117,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
You said that you "may become a member here so I can ensure that a festival like the one I saw on Saturday is not termed "Irish".

Which implies that the Charlotte AOH wasn't able to....but when you arrive, it most certainly will.
What I was implying was that ANY festival LIKE the one I saw on Saturday wouldn't be termed Irish if the AOH is a direct supporter/sponsor. Why? I would work to making sure it was more Irish and less college frat-boyish.

I admit what I wrote can be misconstrued as how you implied it, however.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:20 PM

87 posts, read 274,371 times
Total waste of time this was. We went on Saturday with the perception that it would be a "festival" with lots of food choices. The hot dog stand going into the festival was more appealing than one trailer I saw selling food with a long line. We ended up going to the Epicentre instead and ate at Wild Wings.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:28 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Did they have any leprechauns handing out Lucky Charms?

Old 08-19-2009, 07:02 PM

87 posts, read 274,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Did they have any leprechauns handing out Lucky Charms?

lol! No green beer either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte