Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 06:28 AM

630 posts, read 1,877,219 times

Advertisements

Davidson by a landslide especially at that price point. Davidson has worked hard to keep the small town feel and as a result there are no big box stores in town. The home values will probably hold there more than Mooresville. The only reason I'd choose Mooresville is if you were going to buy on the lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 04:03 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,548,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexysteve View Post
Davidson by a landslide especially at that price point. Davidson has worked hard to keep the small town feel and as a result there are no big box stores in town. The home values will probably hold there more than Mooresville. The only reason I'd choose Mooresville is if you were going to buy on the lake.
They may have avoided the big box stores in Davidson but traffic in the center can be a nightmare.Maybe they should have pedestrianised it if they wanted to preserve the small town feel.
I find Davidson a little stuffy for my tastes, and lots of students obviously. Doesn't feel very "southern"
Completely diff feel from Mooresville downtown area, but then Mooresville downtown (28115) has a completely different feel to the Lake side of Mooresville (28117).
Davidson feed into South Meck Highschool, Mooresville either Mooresville high (28115) or Lake Norman High (28117)
Be aware that they are talking about Iredell School district rezoning so that some kids who live off Perth up towards Troutman will go to South Iredell High school rather than Lake Norman High.
troutman itself feeds into South Iredell HS.
In Mooresville you can get waterfront for your money, but if you want to avoid HOA look at some of the SD off Canvasback Rd and Isle of Pines (both off Brawley School Rd) There are too many SDs to list.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:43 AM

94 posts, read 251,706 times
If I didn't have a child in HS with special needs I would have picked Davidson. There are some wonderful new neighborhoods on the east side of the downtown area. DH wanted a boat slip and be able to at least see the lake, so we ended up in the point. The pros: it certainly is beautiful. There is a lot to do with the club and well maintained sidewalks for walking, running, biking. Then you have the lake if you have a boat enough said. The cons: HOA's are 1200 minimum a year. Plus you may have a dock association where you pay maintenance dues. You also have to belong to the club which depending on your membership has monthly dues. But, what you get for the high fees is a beautiful well maintained neighborhood and an amazing clubhouse at the Point. The cons: There is not good shopping in Mooresville. Mooresville 117 is very suburban feeling with Target, old navy, best buy, etc.... , Mooresville 115 is like an old town hasn't changed much since the beginning of the 20th century. Davidson: Pro's you are right next to Birkdale village which has newer shopping, close to the Northgate Mall and you feel much more a part of Charlotte. Although also an old town their downtown is quaint with old buildings convereted to sidewalk cafe's, boutiques, bookstores, etc.. The campus always has things going throughout the year. The area seems more cultured. Mooresville is very proud of Nascaar. So if you like Nascaar, you may like Mooresville better. Davidson is very proud of Davidson college. That should sum it up for you.

In your price range you will find homes right now in the point because prices have dropped quite a bit... still cant get waterfront for under 1.5 M, but you will be abe to get a nice newer home across the street of the waterfronts. I guess it used to be that would be a fixer up or prior rental property price, but not so anymore... so you can get a good deal. But.... if you are opposed to the HOA fees you can look at the Harbour in the Point and the Farms, they have association fees, but not nearly as high as the Point, and you don't have to belong to the Club. But you won't necessarily get a boatslip in those neighborhoods which means you would have to find someone to lease from or store at one of the facilities which is doable.

Last edited by Bramca; 08-21-2009 at 05:51 AM..

Old 08-21-2009, 12:06 PM

630 posts, read 1,877,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
They may have avoided the big box stores in Davidson but traffic in the center can be a nightmare.Maybe they should have pedestrianised it if they wanted to preserve the small town feel.
Living near downtown Davidson is still a very good area, especially on the college side, even if there's not as many stores as Mooresville. However I would never buy a home in the area surrounding downtown Mooresville. And the traffic on 150 in Mooresville is about as bad as you'll find.

Most people avoid traffic in downtown D'son by cutting down by the post office.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexysteve View Post
Living near downtown Davidson is still a very good area, especially on the college side, even if there's not as many stores as Mooresville. However I would never buy a home in the area surrounding downtown Mooresville. And the traffic on 150 in Mooresville is about as bad as you'll find.

Most people avoid traffic in downtown D'son by cutting down by the post office.
Yes I agree about 150 but then it isn't a quaint downtown area.
Depends if you want the Lake or the college.
Yes the college side is better as part of this will still be in Iredell for the better schools.
I imagine all of the original stores in Davidson from past eras have gone to be replaced by expensive gift type stores and little else.
At least Mooresville has its original ice cream store, a hardware store, saddlery shop,a couple of antique type shops, a brewery and affordable eating places that do southern style cooking.

Why would you never buy a home around downtown Mooresville?

Old 08-22-2009, 01:09 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,376,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Why would you never buy a home around downtown Mooresville?
Yeah...why wouldn't you buy near downtown Mooresville?
I live off of Hwy 3, just outside of downtoneMV & love it. Quiet, nice home, nice subdivision, traffic's not bad, close to all the shopping on 150/exit 36 area (without all the traffic mess).

Old 10-05-2009, 07:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,129 times
If you are still looking in the area and need advice we can help you. We are a real estate appraisal firm as well as brokers so we can help you get the best deal for your money. We get you true value.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:33 AM

67 posts, read 192,559 times
We just looked in these areas in this price range and ended up buying in Cornelius (The Penninsula). Davidson was a close second (River Run). As we looked more north (N. Davidson & M-ville), even in your price range, were still finding septic systems and well water - just be aware. We also wanted to be closer to the city (10-15 min extra in a commute adds up quickly). Overall, all three towns are only 15 min from each other, and schools are all pretty top notch, so real estate value was the big determinant. DM me if you want our realtor's name (specializes in this area).

Old 10-05-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiToNC View Post
We just looked in these areas in this price range and ended up buying in Cornelius (The Penninsula). Davidson was a close second (River Run). As we looked more north (N. Davidson & M-ville), even in your price range, were still finding septic systems and well water - just be aware. We also wanted to be closer to the city (10-15 min extra in a commute adds up quickly). Overall, all three towns are only 15 min from each other, and schools are all pretty top notch, so real estate value was the big determinant. DM me if you want our realtor's name (specializes in this area).
Em-what's wrong with well water and septic?
Great if you want irrigation and no water or sewer charges.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramca View Post
If I didn't have a child in HS with special needs I would have picked Davidson. There are some wonderful new neighborhoods on the east side of the downtown area. DH wanted a boat slip and be able to at least see the lake, so we ended up in the point. The pros: it certainly is beautiful. There is a lot to do with the club and well maintained sidewalks for walking, running, biking. Then you have the lake if you have a boat enough said. The cons: HOA's are 1200 minimum a year. Plus you may have a dock association where you pay maintenance dues. You also have to belong to the club which depending on your membership has monthly dues. But, what you get for the high fees is a beautiful well maintained neighborhood and an amazing clubhouse at the Point. The cons: There is not good shopping in Mooresville. Mooresville 117 is very suburban feeling with Target, old navy, best buy, etc.... , Mooresville 115 is like an old town hasn't changed much since the beginning of the 20th century. Davidson: Pro's you are right next to Birkdale village which has newer shopping, close to the Northgate Mall and you feel much more a part of Charlotte. Although also an old town their downtown is quaint with old buildings convereted to sidewalk cafe's, boutiques, bookstores, etc.. The campus always has things going throughout the year. The area seems more cultured. Mooresville is very proud of Nascaar. So if you like Nascaar, you may like Mooresville better. Davidson is very proud of Davidson college. That should sum it up for you.

In your price range you will find homes right now in the point because prices have dropped quite a bit... still cant get waterfront for under 1.5 M, but you will be abe to get a nice newer home across the street of the waterfronts. I guess it used to be that would be a fixer up or prior rental property price, but not so anymore... so you can get a good deal. But.... if you are opposed to the HOA fees you can look at the Harbour in the Point and the Farms, they have association fees, but not nearly as high as the Point, and you don't have to belong to the Club. But you won't necessarily get a boatslip in those neighborhoods which means you would have to find someone to lease from or store at one of the facilities which is doable.
There are plenty of subdivisions where you can get waterfront or waterview with boat dock/pier that have lower prices and some that have no HOAs.
Examples- Lakeshore estates,Harbor cove etc.
Birkdale is in Huntersville as is Northcross Mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte