Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 08:42 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,466,810 times

Advertisements

Again, on private property (including the Overstreet Mall--ESPECIALLY inside of the building), they can tell you to do the Chicken Dance if they want to. But outside of the building in public right-of-way, tell them to pound sand and bring the biggest lawsuit known to mankind on them if they give you crap about taking pictures. I don't care if I'm wearing a turban and chanting "Allah this and that," you can't stop someone from taking pictures of a 60-story building!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 09:07 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,809,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Again, on private property (including the Overstreet Mall--ESPECIALLY inside of the building), they can tell you to do the Chicken Dance if they want to. But outside of the building in public right-of-way, tell them to pound sand and bring the biggest lawsuit known to mankind on them if they give you crap about taking pictures. I don't care if I'm wearing a turban and chanting "Allah this and that," you can't stop someone from taking pictures of a 60-story building!
Tell that to Kamran Akhtar, who was arrested in 2004 after filming the buildings.....not sure if he even had his turban on.

Last edited by Megax; 08-25-2009 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 08-25-2009, 09:58 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
Somehow I think the charges put against him were for more than videotaping some buildings....

Old 08-25-2009, 10:09 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,809,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Somehow I think the charges put against him were for more than videotaping some buildings....
Right, it would have been more along the lines of conspiring to commit a terrorist act, however Steve said that 'you can't stop someone from taking pictures of a 60-story building' and that's eactly what law enforcement did.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:45 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
Right, but only after questioning and the guy acting dodgy. I guarantee you could go downtown and take some pics of buildings without issue.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:12 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,466,810 times
Yeah, let me add a caveat...

If you were to be approached by security and/or law enforcement, and if you're on the up-and-up, you should be able to give them a clean story. I'm taking pics of architecture, I'm gathering sights for a website, I'm a student trying to find interesting shots for my project. Those situations should be allowed. Now, get mouthy with the cops, ignore their questions, or just generally act any sort of suspicious, and they have every right to give you some hassle...just as they would someone acting shady in a neighborhood or anywhere else.

My argument is that you can detailed 3D images of the buildings from Google Earth...or better yet, you could easily ride slowly by in a vehicle getting all the covert pics you wanted. So by stopping the 99.999% innocent folks walking by on the streets, they're not thwarting anything and are only proving Ben Franklin's comment of "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Old 08-26-2009, 09:25 AM

69 posts, read 216,918 times
Parking decks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte