Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 11:43 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minier View Post
LOL. Okay, I'm trying to keep it broad because this is our first visit and we're doing a broad sweep. We're interested in safe neighborhoods with good schools and a hip vibe (define that as you like, as I know it's vague too LOL) where you don't have to drive endlessly to do things (under 400K for house).

But I see the quandry given the street name problems -- where I live right now, I can say "go to Willard Street (*street name*) in Fishkill (*town name*)" and that would be pretty clearcut.
There are so many nice areas that you could see! I'll give you a few ideas just to get you started...

from uptown find your way onto 3rd St - follow it until it becomes Providence Rd (also known as hwy 16). You can go for miles and miles and see some very nice places along the way - all the way to Waxhaw. You won't find a "hip" vibe in this south Charlotte area, but it is one of the most desirable areas in Charlotte with some of the best schools. Veer off of Providence and see Sardis Rd, Alexander Rd, Rea Road and Ardrey Kell.

For "hip" I guess you'll want to google Plaza Midwood and find you way there (though you won't get the best schools there).

Best of luck in your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 12:38 PM

87 posts, read 274,371 times
Eh, several. These all connect in places.

Ballantyne Commons Rd.
Park Rd
East Blvd
South Blvd all the way down to SC (will change names)
Providence Rd
Hwy 51 to Matthews

Old 08-20-2009, 03:16 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,399,264 times
i will do a shameless plug for my neighborhood

sharon hills road

Old 08-20-2009, 03:47 PM

248 posts, read 721,891 times
Ok Herez my take:

I will give you some intersections so you can drive from 1 to the other..

N.College St & Trade St (Epicenter)
Queens Rd and Providence Rd (Myers Park)
Randolph Rd and Sharon Amity Rd (Cotswold)
Sharon Rd & Fairview Rd (south park mall)
ParK Rd and Sharon Rd W
Providence Rd and Pineville-Mathews Rd (Abroretum)
Johnston Rd and Ballantyne Commons Parkway (Ballayntyne)

Old 08-20-2009, 04:08 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,335,039 times
In the Huntersville area,

Blythe Landing County Park (for a look at Lake Norman)
It is in Cornelius, off NC 73 GPS N 35 26.146 | W 80 54.445

Then take 73 around the corner to Birkdale Village
plug in: 8712 Lindholm Drive 28078

Then head up to Davidson, Summit coffee shop at 128 S Main St Davidson, NC 28036
(Not that you need to visit that coffee shop, but it is in the middle of town, with the college nearby)

You need the city for each street or else your GPS either won't recognize it or will get you to the totally wrong place. I was riding my bicycle around Huntersville and out in the middle of nowhere passed a small street.... named Tryon Street !! Which is a big important street in Charlotte and I thought why would anyone name a tiny little street in the middle of nowhere in Huntersville Tryon Street ???

Old 08-20-2009, 04:10 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
The city grew before the roads. It has a pretty solid grid pattern from uptown to 36th st., and the east-to-west streets used to be lettered A, B, C, etc. Not sure why they changed that. But all of s. charlotte, e. charlotte, N. Charlotte were farm roads with nothing on them. Once development came, I guess it was too confusing to try to change the names folks had already gotten used to.

In NY and some other cities, the streets, subways were built before development happened, so it was easier to name them and thus its easier to navigate now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
is there any reason why charlotte has a bunch of names/things as street names rather than numbers?

it makes navigating a lot harder, IMO. sardis <<< ______. whoever suggested the idea of having 85 sardis' needs a swift kick in the butt.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:53 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
Yo.check out LaSalle Street. West Trade, Jennings, Erma, Beaties ford Road. Central ave etc.....lol

Old 08-20-2009, 05:06 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Yo.check out LaSalle Street. West Trade, Jennings, Erma, Beaties ford Road. Central ave etc.....lol
What a sense of humor

Old 08-20-2009, 05:30 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
I was in-route to an office yesterday that took to me Woodlawn. Prior to this the name of the same street changed 3 times. Now looking at a map b/c of this thread I see that I would be in more trouble further on as it changes to Runnymeade, Wendover, Eastway Dr., Sugar Creek Rd., and The Land of Oz.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:37 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
I was in-route to an office yesterday that took to me Woodlawn. Prior to this the name of the same street changed 3 times. Now looking at a map b/c of this thread I see that I would be in more trouble further on as it changes to Runnymeade, Wendover, Eastway Dr., Sugar Creek Rd., and The Land of Oz.
yes, John, you are correct (and, how is it you are in Charlotte and we did not have a C/D meetup???).

that is why I have given up trying to learn street names here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte