Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 11:43 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,466,810 times

Advertisements

As a few other threads have discussed, *any* small leak on your side of the meter can add up to quite a bit of water flowing through. And as mentioned, to encourage water conservation and penalize those that use exorbitant amounts, most billing structures are tiered (the more you use, the more you'll pay for gallon or unit). So you're little leak pushes you closer and closer to a new tier as it goes undetected. Running toilets are huge culprits in high water bill cases...not to mention long showers.

Here's a link that says a lot of what has been said already, but still good info: Fixing Leaks Around the Home | WaterSense | US EPA (http://www.epa.gov/watersense/fixaleak/howto.htm - broken link)

Here's another interesting website: Household Leaks

And as far as landscape watering consumption being 50% of our municipal water supply usage...try closer to 70% (especially during the summer months). That's why you'll hear me tout and promote reclaimed water systems for landscape purposes. But I digress...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 12:10 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,221,781 times
My water Bill is about $22 every month, summer or fall. But then I live alone and don't water anything but two trees and if I plant a new tree. Grass doesn't look great, but I have a theory, if it can't survive with the natural rainfall, then it shouldn't be planted there.

This has been avergae summer. Last summer was abnormally dry, but this summer is what I am used to seeing and others here longer than me say it's typical.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:48 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,466,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
My water Bill is about $22 every month, summer or fall. But then I live alone and don't water anything but two trees and if I plant a new tree. Grass doesn't look great, but I have a theory, if it can't survive with the natural rainfall, then it shouldn't be planted there.

This has been avergae summer. Last summer was abnormally dry, but this summer is what I am used to seeing and others here longer than me say it's typical.
Absolutely (on all accounts of your post).

Native species are the way to go. I find it absurdly ridiculous that some folks find it ok to use the amount of treated potable freshwater we (as a society) do on watering plant material! Even with all the valid threats of endangering our drinking water supply! When the day comes that we turn on the faucet and noting but dust comes out, I want them all lined up and shot!

This summer has finally put us back in the normal category for climate and rainfall. We came out of one of the worst droughts on record from the summer of 2007. It's all part of the natural cycle of nature. But I'd be willing to bet that if we had an established alternative water source for irrigation use (i.e. reclaimed water), we wouldn't have had restrictions, or at least not as stringent as they were, back in 2007/08. In other words, if used our precious freshwater supply for drinking, cooking, and bathing only, we'd have been just fine.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:25 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,731,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
. But I'd be willing to bet that if we had an established alternative water source for irrigation use (i.e. reclaimed water), we wouldn't have had restrictions, or at least not as stringent as they were, back in 2007/08. In other words, if used our precious freshwater supply for drinking, cooking, and bathing only, we'd have been just fine.

The Woods development tried that however there was fierce public opposition against it. People are for conservation and trying to do good for the environment except when its in their backyard (NIMBY).

Always been this way, always will.......

Old 08-21-2009, 02:00 PM

457 posts, read 1,178,203 times
Here's a buzzword: xeriscaping. Instead of mostly grass & a few schrubs/plants/trees, it's the opposite b/c they use less water. Great concept I think. You can google it for photos.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:25 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,337,570 times
We arent out of the water woods just yet. Our irrigation system ran last night (around 2am) and the overnight water useage was 3 ccf. (1 ccf = 748 gallons, so that would be 2244 gallons) That seems way too much for one time watering the lawn. I will be checking the system both for time and for water use of each circuit to see if one circuit is using water at a much higher rate (which would signal a leak).

Old 08-22-2009, 12:27 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,214,812 times
It's easy enough to turn off. Grass, even the kind that needs water, only needs to be watered once/week at most.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:06 PM

Great news! I didn't mention in this thread that our irrigation guy gave us a letter describing the leak and the repairs that he made (under warranty so no cost to us) and we submitted the letter to the water company, seems like quite a while ago. Today we received our water bill and it included a $250 adjustment!! (water and sewer) Very happy here!

Old 10-17-2009, 06:23 PM

169 posts, read 475,986 times
Good news! Thanks for letting us know.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:12 AM

More news on high water bills. Apparently there is a cluster of homes in Cornelius (the Peninsula) where people have gotten really high water bills. Water company says their meters are high. Something is going on here. Just a reminder that you have to keep an eye on these things and don't expect the utility to be concerned if your bill is too high!

Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte