Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 01:34 PM

346 posts, read 612,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
As of July 24 the jobless rate in the Charlotte metro area was reported at 12.4%. Moving here without a job is not a good idea regardless of your property tax in New Jersey. If you've been unemployed for three years you obviously don't qualify for unemployment compensation which means you're either independently wealthy or you'll be another drag on our already stressed welfare system.

Sorry if that sounds cruel but you asked.
Not cruel at all ...BTW I have been living on inheritance the past 3 years...Unemployment was exhausted before there was any inheritance...I do not believe in being a ward of the state

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
I am from Central Jersey also (Hunterdon County) we moved down here 1 year ago. Honestly I think your chances of employment are much better in NJ. I have never seen anything like this, so many people out of work, very sad. Good luck in whatever you decide.
You know I may have to re-asess my opinions on Northern NJ...true there are more jobs North than in Central and S Jersey...so obviously I need to do more homework.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 03:52 PM
tja

17 posts, read 38,848 times
You may want to think about opening your job search up to the whole country and going where you get a job. My husband has been out of work here for two years. He did get a contract position two months ago that may possibly turn into something full time. He is also in manufacturing. No one is hiring here. He has been going to a networking group every week for the past year. The last 6-7 months no one has even gotten any interviews. I'm sorry and wish the news was better.

If your main goal is to leave NJ then looking nationwide and going where the job is may work sooner. Good luck.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:16 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheelMan View Post
Not cruel at all ...BTW I have been living on inheritance the past 3 years...Unemployment was exhausted before there was any inheritance...I do not believe in being a ward of the state

You know I may have to re-asess my opinions on Northern NJ...true there are more jobs North than in Central and S Jersey...so obviously I need to do more homework.
I would definitely sit down with some of the nationwide agencies who have offices in Charlotte. I'm telling you to do this because I sat down with several agencies & if they look over your qualifications, they may see jobs that you are qualified to do that you would not even think of.

I can tell you that I know of several people who have gotten jobs recently. These were decent jobs, but not their dream job, but it will do for now. I know of some people who recently were hired to work at a mill that was recently re-opened.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I would definitely sit down with some of the nationwide agencies who have offices in Charlotte. I'm telling you to do this because I sat down with several agencies & if they look over your qualifications, they may see jobs that you are qualified to do that you would not even think of.

I can tell you that I know of several people who have gotten jobs recently. These were decent jobs, but not their dream job, but it will do for now. I know of some people who recently were hired to work at a mill that was recently re-opened.
Yes this is good advice Thanks...There are some agencies right here in NJ that are nationwide so I will check into them locally first and expand my search to NC...One agency is Aerotek...and I have had jobs from them years ago...at this point any job is a dream..just to have cash flow would be a blessing.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tja View Post
You may want to think about opening your job search up to the whole country and going where you get a job. My husband has been out of work here for two years. He did get a contract position two months ago that may possibly turn into something full time. He is also in manufacturing. No one is hiring here. He has been going to a networking group every week for the past year. The last 6-7 months no one has even gotten any interviews. I'm sorry and wish the news was better.

If your main goal is to leave NJ then looking nationwide and going where the job is may work sooner. Good luck.
Also a good idea...there are so many uncertainties about relocating to a new state...it can be a bit overwhelming... It seems that the economy nationwide is in the dumpster and people all over are in pretty dire straights...Thanks for the advice.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:22 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Also a good idea...there are so many uncertainties about relocating to a new state...it can be a bit overwhelming... It seems that the economy nationwide is in the dumpster and people all over are in pretty dire straights...Thanks for the advice.
Charlotte was one of the last cities to fall into the economic downturn. Charlotte has accomodated 50,000 newcomers a year for many years, many of whom were seeking employment. What happens when you have all of these people job searching? disaster. On the other hand, Charlotte is still a top city for the relocation of major coorperations which are already commiting themselves to the area. Charlotte will likely swing back to the top as quickly as it sank. Charlotte is big white collar city that has suffered recession. It has in the past (without all of the transplants), and it will again. Job landing is still possible. The problem is that the competition is extremely stiff and if one doesn't have the best skills, experience, and resume, he/she may have to wait in line. Someone mentione that they believe the economy in Charlotte is worse than in N.J. I am sure it is. For one thing, there is no city in New Jersey as large as Charlotte, and there is no city in New Jersey that has had the growth that Charlotte has seen. Comparing doesn't really figure in important factors.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:38 AM

146 posts, read 474,126 times
Companies are hiring in both states (NJ and NC). Its the matter of finding the position that best suits the person job hunting. I agree that a head hunter be used to at the minimum find some leads wherever the person is looking. It is much easier to find a job if you have a job. I would not recommend quitting your current position before relocating. We relocated last year only because I had a job. If I did not have the job, we would be in NJ sucking the tail wind of the high property taxes.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:19 AM

My last true electronics production job was in 2002...I t was a great job...but the corporate powers decided that their profit margins weren't high enough so off went the production to China...what I made in 1 day they get in a month's pay
I dont have any dependants as they are all grown and have their own families. So I need not worry about school districts...I will look into real estate down there once our home here is sold...but all suggestions on desirable areas are noted for future reference.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:31 PM

135 posts, read 439,477 times
We are from NJ and we moved to Waxhaw 3 years ago and my husband ended up having to go back to NJ to work as the job in Charlotte did not work out. He is in manufacturing. He kept trying the 3 years we were there and by that time our kids and myself fell in love with Charlotte. Anyway, after 3 years of being apart and not wanting to go back to NJ, we love the weather here and can never go back north, my husband was able to transfer to Atlanta and we recently joined him in Atlanta. We very much miss Charlotte and wish so much it could have worked out but what everyone is saying here, is true, there are NO JOBS! Not that there wont be a turnaround eventually but just dont come here thinking its going to be an answer to your problems because you just get new problems. I have other friends who have moved from NJ to NC and after a few years are still out of work and now cant even get part-time work because everyone is out of work and taking the part-time work. Nothing is worse as you know, than being out of work. I was a bus driver for Union County and our director said that he had a waiting list for people to train as bus drivers that were CPA's, Engineers, etc. That is pretty sad. The thing is that once you get to Charlotte that you dont want to leave and you keep hoping something will work out but for us, after 3 years, we had to make some decisions because it was putting us in the poor house. Just something to think about.....

Old 08-26-2009, 05:18 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Yes this is good advice Thanks...There are some agencies right here in NJ that are nationwide so I will check into them locally first and expand my search to NC...One agency is Aerotek...and I have had jobs from them years ago...at this point any job is a dream..just to have cash flow would be a blessing.
I understand. Aerotek is one of several agencies that I checked with.

Right now jobs are catch as catch can all over. I'm willing to take whatever to get cash flow, & most jobs can be used to get better jobs.

I don't have a problem with going back to school, but need to have a cash flow & that wasn't happening in South Jersey & the property taxes were spiraling out of control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte