Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 11:58 AM

346 posts, read 613,188 times

Advertisements

Thinking of relocating from NJ where I have been jobless for 3 years...I am wondering about manufacturing jobs in electronics...I've heard that in the RTP area these jobs have been lost so is it any better in Charlotte...and employment in general is Charlotte the best area of the state for employment?
Also how difficult is it to find work there when one does not live there?...It seems that employers would prefer to hire locally...but moving to a new area without already procuring employment goes against my better judgement...comments are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 12:05 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheelMan View Post
Thinking of relocating from NJ where I have been jobless for 3 years...I am wondering about manufacturing jobs in electronics...I've heard that in the RTP area these jobs have been lost so is it any better in Charlotte...and employment in general is Charlotte the best area of the state for employment?
Also how difficult is it to find work there when one does not live there?...It seems that employers would prefer to hire locally...but moving to a new area without already procuring employment goes against my better judgement...comments are appreciated.
Are you in South Jersey? I came down here from South Jersey & know from personal experience that the electronic manufacturing jobs have been leaving for about 10 years now.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:18 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,736,355 times
the job market in charlotte is bad (the unemployment rate is probably higher than in nj). you're better off moving to north jersey.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Are you in South Jersey? I came down here from South Jersey & know from personal experience that the electronic manufacturing jobs have been leaving for about 10 years now.
I'm in CNJ...so aside from Electronics manufacturing how is employment across the board there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
the job market in charlotte is bad (the unemployment rate is probably higher than in nj). you're better off moving to north jersey.
Thanks for your input but I respectfully disagree...While employment is my major concern...the other factors that make me want to leave NJ..highest property taxes in the nation...my 3 bdrm 1800 sq ft house on 3/4s of an acre comes to $10000/year! Northern NJ is way too congested and real estate further North is even more expensive...I've lived here 35 years and I have had enough of it. Its kind of ironic that all the people that I've spoken to here in NJ ...know of someone who has moved to NC and they are all saying NC has a better economy and employment rates than does NJ...Then I come onto this forum and everyone here is saying just the opposite...while I dont expect NC to be some utopian world I am somewhat surprised...dismayed to hear " it isnt any better than NJ" So if you're trying to discourage me you're doing a good job of it...but frankly I think you are being up front and honest about it..

Old 08-21-2009, 01:00 PM

1,241 posts, read 2,322,505 times
Check out CHarlotte.com. It is run by the Charlotte Observer newspaper. They do stories on the unemployment rate. You could probably search for state unemployment rates on Google and find Government figures. Not sure if they'll break down by industry.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
Check out CHarlotte.com. It is run by the Charlotte Observer newspaper. They do stories on the unemployment rate. You could probably search for state unemployment rates on Google and find Government figures. Not sure if they'll break down by industry.
Thankyou I will be checking it out.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:12 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,150,549 times
As of July 24 the jobless rate in the Charlotte metro area was reported at 12.4%. Moving here without a job is not a good idea regardless of your property tax in New Jersey. If you've been unemployed for three years you obviously don't qualify for unemployment compensation which means you're either independently wealthy or you'll be another drag on our already stressed welfare system.

Sorry if that sounds cruel but you asked.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:15 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,784,218 times
I am from Central Jersey also (Hunterdon County) we moved down here 1 year ago. Honestly I think your chances of employment are much better in NJ. I have never seen anything like this, so many people out of work, very sad. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:31 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheelMan View Post
I'm in CNJ...so aside from Electronics manufacturing how is employment across the board there?

Thanks for your input but I respectfully disagree...While employment is my major concern...the other factors that make me want to leave NJ..highest property taxes in the nation...my 3 bdrm 1800 sq ft house on 3/4s of an acre comes to $10000/year! Northern NJ is way too congested and real estate further North is even more expensive...I've lived here 35 years and I have had enough of it. Its kind of ironic that all the people that I've spoken to here in NJ ...know of someone who has moved to NC and they are all saying NC has a better economy and employment rates than does NJ...Then I come onto this forum and everyone here is saying just the opposite...while I dont expect NC to be some utopian world I am somewhat surprised...dismayed to hear " it isnt any better than NJ" So if you're trying to discourage me you're doing a good job of it...but frankly I think you are being up front and honest about it..
I was in your exact same boat, right down to the 3 years.

You don't say if you have kids, & honestly I wouldn't have done what I did if I had dependants.

I sold out (didn't get the house on the market before it crashed) & came down & got a rock bottom foreclosure on the western outskirts of the metro area. I've been working on that (it was empty for 5 years) & I'm about to look for something to bring money it. Here's the thing, I don't care what it is, as long as it's honest work. I can always look for a better job, later.

I can & will get a job. There are jobs around here. If you want to be picky, don't hold your breath, though.

I have a bigger house on a bigger lot than what I sold in South Jersey. Instead of paying just under $4K a year in property taxes, I got a bill for $610 (city & county combined)

If you don't mind rolling the dice & don't have small kids, it could work for you in the long run. There are always those little oops along the way, but I can clue you in on them, if you decide to do it. Also, keep in mind that the 3 western counties are much cheaper for real estate. (Gaston, Lincoln, & Cleveland) Lincoln & Cleveland are cheaper tax-wise than Gaston, also.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:32 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,963 times
What isn't widely reported in the local paper is the decimation of the local manufacturing industry in Charlotte. The area is ringed with factories that have thrived for years making all sorts of parts for the automobile industry and they have been laying off people by the 1000s since the first of the year. For those still employed, they are faced with 4 day weeks and cuts in pay and unpaid time off because of factory temporary shutdowns.

There was also once a pretty good electronics industry in Charlotte but that for the most part, unfortunately, has been packed up and shipped to China. Wall streeters and bankers seem to think it is a good idea to ship all of our manufacturing technology and processes there. They are supposed to be the experts on what it takes for a good economy.

I would not come here looking for a job like this as it would be an exercise in frustration. Your best bet is to head to Texas or Oklahoma where the economy depends upon oil production. That doesn't ever seem to be affected by anything. If Americans can't afford to buy petroleum they just sell it elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte