Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 09:40 PM

870 posts, read 3,527,365 times

Advertisements

They actually have a few good places to eat in the airport which would be great to meet friends on layovers. There is now a Phillips Seafood, a Bad Daddy's Burger Bar and a Nathan's Hot Dog place.
Jerry Orr wants people to visit and spend time at the airport. They are building hundreds of new hourly parking spots at the facility.

When I was younger, one of my favorite things to do with my dad was to go to Newark Airport and watch the planes coming in and leaving. We would sit for hours and wave to people on the planes and watch them on the runways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 12:43 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
So where do I sign the petition to get Charlotte-Douglass to have someone come in and spend a couple hundred grand to feed the airport tourists? Eat before you get there. Its as simple as that. Want to see someone? Longer layover. The airport is a place for travel, not socializing with friends while blowing through town. How many people really "need" a place to eat outside of security?

Speaking of SFO, the one place that i saw serving food outside of security was dead. 2 people sitting. I'm not even sure they were eating. Can't say that was a great business move for that company. Not sure why anyone else would be itching to do the same. Plus, you can charge a lot more after you clear security.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:27 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Eat before you get there. Its as simple as that. Want to see someone? Longer layover. The airport is a place for travel, not socializing with friends while blowing through town.
As someone who (until recently) was logging a ton of frequent flyer miles like that dude in "Up In The Air", the concept of having something outside of security does have some purposes. It was not unusual to take a trip where I was flying in somewhere for a brief (1-2 hour) face to face meeting with a client. Having a bar or a proper sit-down restaurant outside of security made it easy to fly in, meet for an hour or so and then fly back out (either back home or on to the next city) without having to schedule longer time to leave and return to the airport property, or without having to schedule an overnight trip or an extra travel day for such a purpose. MIA and EWR were great for that (the latter especially because it was easy to meet with a client from Manhattan on my way in or out of another destination in Jersey, or the other way around). DFW was perfect for that as it is an AA hub and, while there is not anything directly "outside" of security, they have a Hyatt connected to the airport that one can walk to in just a few minutes from the check-in area.

Now living here in Charlotte, I know a fair number of friends and colleagues who live elsewhere that fly US Scare and connect through the CLT hub. It would be great to be able to grab a drink or a quick bite while they are passing through without them having to inconvenience themselves by extending their travel time just so they have the extra time to leave the airport and go elsewhere - I don't see any issue whatsoever with "socializing" while in an airport. But maybe my "road warrior" mentality has something to do with that.

Old 07-24-2021, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMT View Post
Geez I travel each week and I never realized how those people without tickets were starving. Maybe I'll bring a loaf of bread Monday morning.

What time of day are you flying that you'll need food outside of the security checkpoints? If you don't intend on going through security you can pack an entire picnic if you want, get take out from any restaurant in the city and bring it to the airport to eat. If you are in the airport and leaving and want to dine in the terminal you've got plenty of options to purchase inside the terminal and then eat when you get out:

[url]http://charmeck.org/Departments/Airport/Food+and+Gifts/home.htm[/url] (broken link)

Baggage Claim:
Charlotte Bistro

Ticketing:
Starbucks

In the Atrium (thru security) Brookwood Farms BBQ, Burger King, Chili's, Chili's To Go, Cinnabon, First In Flight Bar, Freshens Frozen Treats, Manchu Wok, Mrs. Fields Cookies, Pizza Hut, Quizno's, Salsarita's, Starbucks, Tequileria, Yovana

I guess I'm just looking for why you want to eat outside of security but still need to be at the airport.
Where do I start? You are dropping someone off at the airport and you have driven a long way at want to spend some time with them as you won’t see them again for a year - you don’t want to take the chance by going into the city and having car trouble, traffic issues etc. - trust me there is nothing good near CLT.

Great airports have restaurants outside security for this purpose- LAX, Heathrow or they have good restaurants in the surrounding area

Why do you come to a forum where people are looking for help and offer nothing but snide remarks?

Old 07-24-2021, 02:26 PM

425 posts, read 418,401 times
It actually did cross my mind, after arriving to CLT around midnight - that all the interior shops were closed at that hour, and I didn't see any vending machines as I walked out. If it was an option, I might have bought a quick snack out front before catching my shuttle bus to parking, so that I could munch on something while driving home.

Old 08-01-2021, 05:48 PM

60 posts, read 44,099 times
Belmont isn’t far from the airport with many decent restaurants in the area. Just west across the Catawba River.

Old 08-02-2021, 11:44 AM

751 posts, read 933,803 times
Pick up Bojangles just outside the airport and meet your companion in baggage claim, find a small nook and enjoy a CLT staple somewhat quietly together. That's your best option currently.

Old 08-03-2021, 06:11 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,690,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMI View Post
It actually did cross my mind, after arriving to CLT around midnight - that all the interior shops were closed at that hour, and I didn't see any vending machines as I walked out. If it was an option, I might have bought a quick snack out front before catching my shuttle bus to parking, so that I could munch on something while driving home.
The airport's contracted food and beverage provider, HMSHost, is testing contactless smart kiosks that dispense food 24 hours a day in Concourse B near the Red Star Lounge (near gate B10). If successful, HMSHost will expand the option to the other concourses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte