Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 08:30 AM

45 posts, read 180,343 times

Advertisements

Where is the best place to eat at the Charlotte airport outside of Security? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 08:47 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Nothing really outside of security. There is a Starbucks kiosk down near Checkpoint A, that's about it.

Sorry.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:10 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
You have the whole city at your disposal.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:34 AM

870 posts, read 3,527,365 times
Dumbest thing they did at the airport was block all the food and drink places into the security area of the airport. Unless you have a ticket, forget about eating or anything at the airport. We took our 16 year old to the airport this summer for an out of country flight and were told to get there 2 hours early. We checked his luggage in and then sat in baggage claim with him until they were getting ready to board. We explained to security that he did not want to hang out in the airport by himself for so long but they refused us any kind of entry. I travel quite a bit and can always meet people outside security during layovers.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:46 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
Dumbest thing they did at the airport was block all the food and drink places into the security area of the airport. Unless you have a ticket, forget about eating or anything at the airport.
Well I think CLT, like many airports, designed their layout based on the old days when anyone could go through security (whether they were actually flying or not). So you can't really blame the airport design for that.

We also travel a lot and I'd say its about a 50-50 split with airports that have food places outside security and those that don't. Would be nice if CLT could put something outside security; all they have is a Starbucks kiosk upstairs and then a little snack-shop down by baggage claim C.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:48 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
you have bojangles and mcd's

Old 08-23-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Well I think CLT, like many airports, designed their layout based on the old days when anyone could go through security (whether they were actually flying or not). So you can't really blame the airport design for that.C.

They actually changed the design in Charlotte. Originally the security check points were down each terminal alley way. Each terminal had its' own security. You could go to the restaurants and bars, also sit at the windows and watch the planes but you could not go to the gates. The airport even built an upstairs observation deck that no one can use now.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:57 PM

182 posts, read 439,902 times
Perfect example of why I love stopping in Phoenix Sky Harbor. The restaurants are very good outside of security.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:53 PM

624 posts, read 2,107,871 times
Geez I travel each week and I never realized how those people without tickets were starving. Maybe I'll bring a loaf of bread Monday morning.

What time of day are you flying that you'll need food outside of the security checkpoints? If you don't intend on going through security you can pack an entire picnic if you want, get take out from any restaurant in the city and bring it to the airport to eat. If you are in the airport and leaving and want to dine in the terminal you've got plenty of options to purchase inside the terminal and then eat when you get out:

http://charmeck.org/Departments/Airport/Food+and+Gifts/home.htm (broken link)

Baggage Claim:
Charlotte Bistro

Ticketing:
Starbucks

In the Atrium (thru security) Brookwood Farms BBQ, Burger King, Chili's, Chili's To Go, Cinnabon, First In Flight Bar, Freshens Frozen Treats, Manchu Wok, Mrs. Fields Cookies, Pizza Hut, Quizno's, Salsarita's, Starbucks, Tequileria, Yovana

I guess I'm just looking for why you want to eat outside of security but still need to be at the airport.

Last edited by MysteryMT; 08-23-2009 at 03:04 PM..

Old 08-23-2009, 03:50 PM

Not everyone just gets dropped off and picked up at an airport. There are many reasons to want to be with someone waiting at the airport or how about meeting friends that are passing through town while making connections. They don't have the time to leave the airport, drive into the city and get back to make their flights.

You named some great places that lost a lot of business when security in the airport moved to their current location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte