Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 12:08 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,466,810 times

Advertisements

John, I used to be the very person you'd talk to back at an old job in Florida working for a local municipality. All letters/emails/calls for this type of request went to me. I'd do some minimal investigation and determine whether or not the home owner would get a break. In no circumstance did the owner get all of the fee waived after a leak occurred for the simple reason that treated potable water (product) flowed through the meter and someone needed to pay for it. What we did was average the last 12 months usage and subtract that number from the high bill amount (the gallons used). That was your new water bill (or at least what we considered your "real" usage). You'd be billed per the regular system on that amount. The remaining balance of usage (the overage above your average bill) was billed at the lowest possible rate. We had a tiered billing structure (much like nearly every municipality has, to penalize high users). So by dropping the consumption down to the lowest tier, it would cut the bill down significantly (especially since the tiers get very pricey as you move up).

I'd throw this idea the city and see what they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 12:44 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
^^^^Thanks a gazillion. Based on that they would owe ME money b/c the usuage for the past year was zero. Of course they would need to charge me minimus usuage and prob. basic fee for sewer.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:02 PM

Yeah we always had a minimum average usage of a few thousand gallons or so.

Also, the owner had to show proof of the problem being fixed (plumber's receipts or something).

Old 08-24-2009, 03:56 PM

^^^^^^All $975.00 of it??
LOL. Yep I have it.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:34 AM

79 posts, read 231,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
I was wondering the same thing. We just put in a sprinkler system. I did not want one installed for this very reason. After reading on here all of the problems I am convinced we should not have installed it. How can I catch a leak early enough not to get caught with a ridiculous bill.
Put in a Master Valve before the backflow preventer (hopefully in an area not subject to freezing)....this will shut off water flow to the irrigation system unless the timer (zone valve) is calling for water. SD

Old 08-25-2009, 08:32 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,214,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
^^^^Thanks a gazillion. Based on that they would owe ME money b/c the usuage for the past year was zero. Of course they would need to charge me minimus usuage and prob. basic fee for sewer.
There is a minimum charge whether you use any water or not. (Base rate + volume which first block is a charge for 0-6000 gallons) This is as long as there is a meter installed. If you are not using water, you can optionally have them pull the meter and you will no longer be a customer of theirs and of course not subject to any further incidents such as this. This has the down side of a re-connect fee when you are ready to have water again so it is probably only worth it for long periods.

I think, generally, if the break occurs on your side of the meter then you are responsible for all the water used. You can however get them to forgive the sewer portion. This is based on water used and pretty much equals the same rate. i.e. it's ~50% of your bill. Presumably this water flowed out onto the property and didn't go into the waste water treatment system for sewage. Sounds like this is what they did for you. They might have also eliminated any fees for excessive use. (not sure if they are in effect now)

If you are going to continue to have an unoccupied house and decide to keep the meter in place, I recommend going to Home Depot or Lowes and get one of those T shaped tools and turn off the water at the meter. This would eliminate any chance this could happen again. You might also want to drain your home so you don't have to keep it heated in the winter. Make sure there is no chance your water heater can come on.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:57 AM

Default many thanks.

^^^ Great info here and I thank you for this. Will do this next week when I'm there and hope to stay dry until then. I hope, I hope, I hope!!

John

Old 08-25-2009, 10:02 AM

Default "T" tool

Further to the post re: "T" tool. I didn't know this before but this is the tool that one uses at the curb. I called one of my workers who told me we have that tool and he will shut the water at the curb on all houses if the house does not have shut-off valve.

Thanks again for the reminder.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:17 AM

Be careful...in some cities, operating the meter valve is a criminal offense. Sounds silly, but think of those who get their water shut off. We don't need them running around willy nilly turning their water back on at will.

It may be worth your while to install your own shut off valve immediately after the water meter so you can do it with ease. The alternative is to have the city do it at your demand...but there's a service fee associated with it (for both trips, to turn on and to turn off).

Old 08-25-2009, 11:34 AM

^^^^ Yep, but the tool fell off the truck right along side my curb and I was just trying to see if it worked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte