Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 10:10 PM

26 posts, read 72,802 times

Advertisements

I would look at Mooresville or Cornelius. There are two Jewish groups in Davidson. (Lake Norman Jewish Congregation - Our mission is to meet the religious, educational, social and life cycle needs of the Jewish community of Lake Norman, attentive to families' individual needs. (http://www.lakenormanjc.org - broken link) and Beth Shalom of Lake Norman Home (http://www.bslkn.org - broken link))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 07:57 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,714,120 times
Suggestion--Try for the $700-800 range for starters since $900 represents almost 35% of your net. That's kind of tight with a family.

Good luck.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:43 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,358,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4BigRu View Post
I am transferring from Vegas to Charlotte in Nov. my wife and kids are following in Feb.. We are an interracial family (I am Polish, Puerto Rican, Jewish and my wife is Black, we have 2 girls 13 and 10). What neighborhood would you recommend, what schools. I make about 32000 per year after tax and benefits. We will be renting. Thanks in advance for the info.
I would first like to say welcome to Charlotte! Also, I fully understand your concern about your diverse family. I am a black male involved in an interracial marriage. My wife is white, my son is biracial (6 year old), and my step son is white (13 year old). We live on Charlotte's southside near Tyvola Road and we don't have ANY problems on our side of town.

Honestly, where you will find the most problems are the schools. Your daughters could become victim to some jokes and ignorance from other kids their age. This usually happens when kids find out the parents are an IR couple. Most kids won't pay this any attention, but some will (trying to follow the example of their own parents' ignorance in most cases).

I recently had to "sit down" with the principal of my step son's school about some kids (black kids) calling him names. (ie, white boy, cracker, the "F" word for gays etc). Even if he was gay (which he is not), they had NO RIGHT to do this to my son. Period.

My point is pay VERY close attention to what school your kids will be subjected to. Find out what your neighborhood schools are and GO TO THEM during school hours. Tell the principal that you have two daughters that will be attending and you just wanted a "tour" of the school.

DO THIS FIRST, so you will not have any of these "school issues". Take it from a guy that knows the path that you walk very well.

And don't be offended by the other posters that told you "race is not an issue". They meant well (they are very proud of Charlotte; I am too!!!). However, you and I both know that race is an issue no matter where IR couples live. Some places are better than others. However, no place on this planet is perfect when it comes to accepting IR dating. So don't feel bad at all for asking.

Charlotte as a whole is a very accepting/loving city. Just know that (like any city) there are folks here that won't like the sight of your beautiful family no matter what. Screw them and live YOUR life. It is NOT your fault that they chose to turn off the wonderful gift of colorblindness that God gave us all at birth. Pray for their ignorance, and keep it moving my man. This much, you should already know.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:13 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,784,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I would first like to say welcome to Charlotte! Also, I fully understand your concern about your diverse family. I am a black male involved in an interracial marriage. My wife is white, my son is biracial (6 year old), and my step son is white (13 year old). We live on Charlotte's southside near Tyvola Road and we don't have ANY problems on our side of town.

Honestly, where you will find the most problems are the schools. Your daughters could become victim to some jokes and ignorance from other kids their age. This usually happens when kids find out the parents are an IR couple. Most kids won't pay this any attention, but some will (trying to follow the example of their own parents' ignorance in most cases).

I recently had to "sit down" with the principal of my step son's school about some kids (black kids) calling him names. (ie, white boy, cracker, the "F" word for gays etc). Even if he was gay (which he is not), they had NO RIGHT to do this to my son. Period.

My point is pay VERY close attention to what school your kids will be subjected to. Find out what your neighborhood schools are and GO TO THEM during school hours. Tell the principal that you have two daughters that will be attending and you just wanted a "tour" of the school.

DO THIS FIRST, so you will not have any of these "school issues". Take it from a guy that knows the path that you walk very well.

And don't be offended by the other posters that told you "race is not an issue". They meant well (they are very proud of Charlotte; I am too!!!). However, you and I both know that race is an issue no matter where IR couples live. Some places are better than others. However, no place on this planet is perfect when it comes to accepting IR dating. So don't feel bad at all for asking.

Charlotte as a whole is a very accepting/loving city. Just know that (like any city) there are folks here that won't like the sight of your beautiful family no matter what. Screw them and live YOUR life. It is NOT your fault that they chose to turn off the wonderful gift of colorblindness that God gave us all at birth. Pray for their ignorance, and keep it moving my man. This much, you should already know.
Urb, be fair, I didn't say "race is not an issue" - I said the vast majority of people won't care that his family is intterracial - and they won't.

HOWEVER, there are jerks and idiots in every city - no place to hide from them 100% on this earth. I know you live this life and I don't, so you have more personal experience with the ugliness of racism. I'm just saying that from my perspective and experience here in Charlotte not to many people really care if you and your wife are blue and red, yellow and orange OR black and white - for the minority that are sick enough to care, like you said screw 'um

ps - sounds like your stepson is lucky to have you in his corner

Old 10-06-2009, 06:31 AM

15 posts, read 23,682 times
Thanks all good advice, unfortunately it looks like I will be moving to Columbia S.C. now.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:23 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,903,517 times
UrbanCharlotte: Very well said. Charlotte is like all other cities regardless of where they happen to be. There are many that will never accept black/white marriages, nevertheless, they are tollerant and that is what is important. Kids don't normally care very much about those issues and base friendship on others at which they share common interests. I believe that practically all people today are ultimately concerned with the way people behave.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:30 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,903,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjshields18 View Post
I would look at Mooresville or Cornelius. There are two Jewish groups in Davidson. (Lake Norman Jewish Congregation - Our mission is to meet the religious, educational, social and life cycle needs of the Jewish community of Lake Norman, attentive to families' individual needs. (http://www.lakenormanjc.org - broken link) and Beth Shalom of Lake Norman Home (http://www.bslkn.org - broken link))
Good luck in Cornelius finding a place on a $32,000 per year income I believe that Charlotte also has Jewish organizations that may help if they are looking for such.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:32 AM

45 posts, read 154,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4BigRu View Post
Thanks all good advice, unfortunately it looks like I will be moving to Columbia S.C. now.
Unfortunate, indeed.
Make sure you research the areas very thoroughly before moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte