Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 02:16 PM

15 posts, read 23,705 times

Advertisements

I am transferring from Vegas to Charlotte in Nov. my wife and kids are following in Feb.. We are an interracial family (I am Polish, Puerto Rican, Jewish and my wife is Black, we have 2 girls 13 and 10). What neighborhood would you recommend, what schools. I make about 32000 per year after tax and benefits. We will be renting. Thanks in advance for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 03:20 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,926,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4BigRu View Post
I am transferring from Vegas to Charlotte in Nov. my wife and kids are following in Feb.. We are an interracial family (I am Polish, Puerto Rican, Jewish and my wife is Black, we have 2 girls 13 and 10). What neighborhood would you recommend, what schools. I make about 32000 per year after tax and benefits. We will be renting. Thanks in advance for the info.
What is the significance of the race thing? You are allowed to live wherever you wish. Where you live depends on what you are looking for as far as proximity to the city, schools, restaurants, parks, safety factors, transportation needs, etc. What kind of neighborhood do you wish to live? Apartments are available all over and are reasonably priced. Please be more specific in your needs or contact the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce. There are dozens of sites to research.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:15 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,992,840 times
I have to interject this from personal experience through neighbors. Make sure that transfer is solid. I know four families who's bread winner was transferred into the Charlotte areas, only to be let go. One had work for two years here and the other three, less then six months. Two of those families houses are now in foreclosure. None of the four have been able to find work enough to support one person, never mind a family of six. It's tough

Good luck with everything!

Old 09-14-2009, 10:31 PM

45,217 posts, read 101,028,316 times
Quote:
What part of Charlotte will you be working in?

Old 09-14-2009, 10:58 PM

19,855 posts, read 66,025,866 times
Charlotte is not like many northern cities wehre there are miles of ethnic enclaves. It's pretty much diverse in the sense that a lot of transferred people live there now. Class is a bigger divider than race, for the most part. The traffic is not good, so where you will be working is much more important in finding a place to live.

Tell these helpful people a price range for an apartment and where the job location is, and then they can give you specific recommendations.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:02 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,732,317 times
I agree with what others have said. If we have a price range and your expectations on # bedrooms, we can be of more help, i.e. if you think you can deal with 2 bedrooms instead of 3 b/rms. Once we find out what area you will be working in, we can give you better recommendations.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:01 PM

Default location location location...

I will be working for a Nuclear Pharmacy as a pharmacy tech. The transfer is secure. It is located on Shopton road south of the airport. The "race thing" as the first post rudely put it is important because I want my children to feel comfortable. Some neighborhoods in all city's I have experienced are not very welcoming to other races. The neighborhood I met my wife in I could not safely hang out in without some of her family members. I am looking to spend 700 to 900 per month for a 3 bedroom. I would like to live somewhere accepting to all races and with a good safe community. I can spend up to 1000 but my wife wont have a job at first so I have to keep it low.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:09 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,770,606 times
Quote:
I will be working for a Nuclear Pharmacy as a pharmacy tech. The transfer is secure. It is located on Shopton road south of the airport. The "race thing" as the first post rudely put it is important because I want my children to feel comfortable. Some neighborhoods in all city's I have experienced are not very welcoming to other races. The neighborhood I met my wife in I could not safely hang out in without some of her family members. I am looking to spend 700 to 900 per month for a 3 bedroom. I would like to live somewhere accepting to all races and with a good safe community. I can spend up to 1000 but my wife wont have a job at first so I have to keep it low.
You'll want to do an apartment search for the "Steele Creek" area. Its very diverse and probably right in your price range. Its also in the Shopton Rd area.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:11 PM

45,217 posts, read 101,028,316 times
Quote:
Just FYI, Charlotte is a city more separated by income level than race. You'll find there are many mixed race marriages and families - for the vast majority of people it is no big deal in any area of the city.

Your problem is your budget. It will be very hard to find a home in your price range in an area with good schools, especially since your kids are middle school age. What I would suggest is that you plan to live outside of Charlotte itself and just commute to your job. I'm going to send you a message with some links to places I find that I could recommend as being safe with good schools

Old 09-16-2009, 07:01 AM

Thanks all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte