Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 05:25 PM

25 posts, read 68,492 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any experience with their kids in the MP IB Program? I really like the description of the curriculum, but don't know anyone with kids in the program. Also, is the admission to the program a random lottery if you are a MP student?

Anyone with any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 06:38 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,572,579 times
My son was in the IB program 9th and 10th grade. Very good program - great teachers. If your child is extremely self motivated they will do well.

I believe any student that has Myers Park as their home school can be in IB. If Myers Park is not your home school you have to apply to the IB magnet.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:05 PM

62 posts, read 269,768 times
I was in the IB program at North Mecklenburg, in addition I am in the process of becoming a college professor and have some background in education, so I can offer two perspectives from the trenches. I learned a ton, the teachers are way way better, you child will get many more opportunities and other benefits. He/She will be challenged and after IB college was a breeze. While my friends in college were fretting over 10 pages, I had written 50 page papers in 11th grade without breaking a sweat.

To be honest (and I am doing this at risking offending allot of folks) regular classes is essentially babysitting, Academically gifted is not much better, I have been in several of these classes observing for a project, plus had to take Algebra (I move from NH right before 9th grade). The teachers generally are not as good and the other kids didn't care so the teacher spent the entire time trying to keep them under control.

I have been in AP classes that are pretty good, but others that was disgustingly awful. Also AP is not as comprehensive and your child doesn't get allot of the benefits that IB has. If you really want your child to get a good education in this public school system IB is the only way. The rest of the options are appalling and I feel the state should be held accountable for doing such a disservice to our future.

The average high school student has a 66% chance of even graduating. In my IB program (comprised of all walks of life and socioeconomic backgrounds) 100% graduated from college in 4 years. This was also the case with the class before and after mine.

I knew several people at the Myers Park IB program, my friends told me stories how the kids there would not help out their fellow students because it might give them an advantage to get a higher grade. Stories like how no one would dare ask their peers for what pages the Home work was on if they missed class or forgot to write it down because people would lie so that they would do the wrong work and it would hurt their grade. I don't know how it is today, I would hope these were simply rumors, not fact.

Regardless its a very competitive program. You child will need huge levels of stamina and motivation. My typical HW at night during my last two year of High School was around 6 hours a night. I am a very fast worker and my sister isn't as fast. She was pushed to the point that she dropped. I would typically get around 20 hours total of sleep during the school week. I don't want to scare you, but it is the reality of it all. The other thing is that those who are in IB generally don't know anyone outside of IB unless it was from a prior school. This is mainly because you are with only IB kids in all your classes, which means you are with all the same people in all your classes, its seriously a great experience. Class sizes were also smaller.

Last edited by ryan112ryan; 09-14-2009 at 08:15 PM..

Old 09-14-2009, 09:49 PM

587 posts, read 1,625,733 times
ryan112ryan - Seriously, that sounds grueling/nightmarish/awful!! I'm glad it worked out for you - the 20 hours sleep would run most kids into the ground - and actually since you're a very fast worker, it would probably be more like 15 for only fast workers! I'm glad to read this bc we are thinking about moving to the MP High School area and I might have considered IB for my kids, but no way now! May I ask though, just because I'm curious, how was it a great experience? I mean, did you actually enjoy your life, or was it just a great experience because it well-prepared you for college?

Old 09-14-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renlouis View Post
ryan112ryan - Seriously, that sounds grueling/nightmarish/awful!! I'm glad it worked out for you - the 20 hours sleep would run most kids into the ground - and actually since you're a very fast worker, it would probably be more like 15 for only fast workers! I'm glad to read this bc we are thinking about moving to the MP High School area and I might have considered IB for my kids, but no way now! May I ask though, just because I'm curious, how was it a great experience? I mean, did you actually enjoy your life, or was it just a great experience because it well-prepared you for college?

The things in life that are worth having are worth working for, if anything the hard times made me a stronger person. I would really urge you to support your child if he/she wants to do this. Without the program I would have not cared about school at all because the teachers don't care either.

I really enjoyed it because I was able to actually get to know all my class mates very well. I was able to have all my classes with these people. When it came to a social life I feel that I wasn't missing out at all and I am not what most would call an extrovert. I was able to keep my motivation at such a high level because when it got tough I had people to commiserate with and we just buckled down and studied harder.

In the classroom I really enjoyed it more than I did regular classes. Instead of having to be treated as if I am a child in regular classes, I was treated as an adult and being challenged. The content was also way more interesting and at a higher level (which was good), we had a good bit of latitude and freedom.

All these things combined: building deeper relationships, being intellectually challenge, having more freedom to do what interests me I absolutely loved it!

A few other things that really contributed to me liking it was that I got to go to Australia for a month through IB. I also got to go to Costa Rica for 2 weeks through IB. IB kids also got to go to the outer banks for a camp for a week. Then at the end the IB kids and teachers went white water rafting, we also had a IB graduation separate and were done with our senior year 2 months early as our final exams had to be mailed to China to be graded

Old 09-15-2009, 01:26 AM

27 posts, read 83,123 times
I did the IB Diploma program back in the almost a decade ago at a private school in VA. I cannot say anything about the program at MP; but as it is an internationally standardized program, I can share some of my thoughts about it.

Do it if your kid is already highly academically motivated. Don't do it if getting into a top college/good grades are not already important to them.

In order to receive the IB Diploma back in the day, we had to pass 3 HL exams (higher level exams from courses that lasted both junior and senior year), 3 SL exams (one year courses), a Theory of Knowledge course, write an Extended Essay, and complete 150 CAS hours (creativity/action/service hours with a pretty good balance between the three).

Each class not only had the big exam at the end, there were numerous internal assessments in each course. For example, in HL English there were a couple of big papers and a tape recorded analysis of a literary passage from a work in the course). Even the SL classes had several assesments throughout the academic year.

The Theory of Knowledge course didn't have an exam, but there was a big paper at the end. It was a cool class.

The CAS hours are really easy to obtain. Those were not as much of a burden as any of us had anticipated.

The extended essay was a nightmare for me. It was like a 4500 word essay (around 20 pages). I wrote mine on "Aboriginal Music: A Comparison of Melodic Structure and Form of the Torres Strait natives and Central Desert Tribes." I still have nightmares about that paper. They basically asked for a publishable quality paper from a seventeen year old.

There were 14 of us in the program in my class. We became an extremely tight knit group. Everyone of us got into top tier colleges and universities. I am the only one of 14 that doesn't have a college degree. Of the other 13 who immediately went on to earn thier bachellor's, now 8 have completed or are in the process of completing graduate or professional school degrees. I took 7 years off to be a ski bum before I started school last year here in Charlotte. Even 8 years after graduation, college seems like a joke compared to IB.

The work load was extremely heavy, but manageable. I remember the after school schedule always included 2-3 hours of either sports practice, play practice, or piano lessons. Then I would study and do homework from like 8-2 every night. We were all like that.

Another thing about IB, they encourage intellectual curiousity and creativity. We were always pushed to think outside the box, start academic dialogue, and work with one another.

I went to an elite boarding school in the northeast for my first two years of high school, but moved back home to VA when the local private school started the IB program. I am glad that I did it. The education I received during secondary school (especially the IB years) was incredible. The IB instructors were all incredible teachers. They all had to receive further training to be able to teach those courses.

I don't know about now in 2009 or in MP, but we (and every other person I've met who went through it) had to apply to get into the program with the IB Coordinator. Do an interview. All that jazz. They took like everyone except for one person who applied. They just want to gauge motivation and ability.

So, I know this post was entirely too long. In summary, know your child well enough to understand thier level of ability, dedication, and potential. Don't push your kid into the program. I would say 90% of the time, students who are successful in the program wanted to be in the program with little to no parental pressure to enter it. I would recommend it to anyone who thinks they're ready for a serious undertaking.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:38 AM

KAT,

The theory of knowledge class was so much fun!!

Kat is right on 100% of what he/she said, it hasn't changed that much.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:18 AM

852 posts, read 2,468,895 times
I was just speaking to someone at the weekend who child just graduated this year from the IB program at Myers Park. She mentioned that only 35 names were on the graduating list and that it started with a lot more. She thought the drop out rate was very high when the students got to 11th grade and it was very intense. She is not sure that her daughter thought it was worth it after all.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:02 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,572,579 times
I agree with what most of you are saying. My son is now a 12th grader at MP and was in the IB program in 9th and 10th grade. He decided he was much more interested in the social aspects of high school and therefore, IB was not that important to him. He has taken and is taking some AP courses and seems to be well challenged by these courses. I do have to say the IB teachers are probably some of the best in the state - no surprise there - if you are a great teacher with seniority wouldn't you want to teach kids who are extremely motivated?

I had a neighbor in IB at MP that use to study HOURS a day - she got little sleep and would often get up at 3 or 4 in the morning to study. Her mom told me she was so stressed she would sometimes vomit before school. She did graduate from MP in IB - but I often wonder at what cost? I was happy when my son decided to drop IB - although he is not the type to stress about grades I wanted him to have a good high school experience and for him - IB was not the right fit. I think parents need to make sure IB is right for their child - let them make the decision. If they are extremely bright and grades are extremely important to them - they can do well in IB.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:54 PM

587 posts, read 1,625,733 times
Ryan and Kat -

Sounds like the IB Program was a great fit for both of you! You all have given great perspective that it is only for the REALLY motivated student (and not highly anxious). That is really helpful for me. My eldest daughter has been in the gifted and talented program here for many years and LOVES it, but is very anxious and perfectionistic about grades. I think she would be just like the girl who woke up at 3 or 4 am (she's in 8th grade and I've seen her do that already!), and vomited before school (Thank God we've not been there yet). Thanks for all of your insights about IB - I think it will be helpful for anyone considering the program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte