Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 02:44 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,569,264 times

Advertisements

Ani - The 'fit and active' yogurt and fat free vanilla coffee creamer are great! I have also tried and liked the fit and active egg substitute. I haven't tried the frozen products.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 02:57 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh - meant to ask - have any of you tried ALDI's "Fit and Active" products? I wondered what you thought. Haven't tried them yet but the stuffed sandwiches look good. So I was just wondering if anyone else had tried those products out.
I buy the ground turkey all the time. Until a few months ago it was sold as Shadybrook Farms. I suppose that some supermarkets complained because it suddenly switched to the Fit & Active label.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:26 PM

176 posts, read 566,092 times
Quote:
Oh - meant to ask - have any of you tried ALDI's "Fit and Active" products? I wondered what you thought. Haven't tried them yet but the stuffed sandwiches look good. So I was just wondering if anyone else had tried those products out.
Absolutely! When we first came to Charlotte, the first question I asked is "Where is the Aldi's?" The Fit and Active is the best! We use the frozen fruits. Make Smoothies, thaw for morning fruit, and much more. Also, the frozen tilapia filets (parmesian crusted) are to die for: quick, easy meals, add rice and vegs. My son comes from VA where there are no Aldi's and the first thing he asks for is the tilapia filets.

Also, their chicken pot pies (the large ones in the green box: about $5 for 4) are to die for! Put them into the microwave for only 5-6 minutes. Crust is flaky, the filling is awesome, and they are quick.

Fresh fruits and vegetables; German chocolates; wines for $2.99...
I could go on and on.

Shop Aldi's first for everything you can get, then go to the other stores to finish your shopping.

Sandy

Old 09-21-2009, 04:01 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Wow - you all are GREAT! Thanks to ALL of you for the great recommendations on what you like to eat and what is outstanding in the Fit and Active Line. I am convinced - this week I will go get some of those products. I guess I didn't connect with what Jim had written but I am glad I asked again cause you all gave me some super ideas. (SnorkelSandy - terrific idea on smoothies!!!) Charlotteborn - I use creamer and can't wait to try ALDI's! TBAN - the only cereal I eat is Granola type - thank you for that info! Southbound - yes, will try the ground turkey.

I had ignored ALDI for years. I mean - over a decade - b/f I realized they were a super store! Someone had told me they were awful and substandard years ago! So I ignored them. I thought they were some kind of "off label" store - clearance items, etc, lol!

But my parents said they had started going and were getting great buys . . . then Southbound told me to GET OVER THERE! So we started going last year and DEAR ME! I only wish I had made the effort to check them out for myself earlier! I feel very foolish for not doing so as I am very happy with their products.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Wow - you all are GREAT! Thanks to ALL of you for the great recommendations on what you like to eat and what is outstanding in the Fit and Active Line. I am convinced - this week I will go get some of those products. I guess I didn't connect with what Jim had written but I am glad I asked again cause you all gave me some super ideas. (SnorkelSandy - terrific idea on smoothies!!!) Charlotteborn - I use creamer and can't wait to try ALDI's! TBAN - the only cereal I eat is Granola type - thank you for that info! Southbound - yes, will try the ground turkey.

I had ignored ALDI for years. I mean - over a decade - b/f I realized they were a super store! Someone had told me they were awful and substandard years ago! So I ignored them. I thought they were some kind of "off label" store - clearance items, etc, lol!

But my parents said they had started going and were getting great buys . . . then Southbound told me to GET OVER THERE! So we started going last year and DEAR ME! I only wish I had made the effort to check them out for myself earlier! I feel very foolish for not doing so as I am very happy with their products.
Ani, don't feel foolish for listening to a bad review. Feel smart for checking it out.

Check out the products, one at a time. That's what I've done. The best part is that a lot of the Aldi products do mesh very well with Trader Joe's.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:40 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,569,264 times
I usually go to the Aldi off of Tyvola Road - have also been to the Aldi in Matthews and I think they are similar stores. I had an appt. today off of Sunset Road and stopped in to get my Arizona Tea fix. WOW! That store is larger and has alot more items. I am jealous!

Old 09-21-2009, 07:03 PM

176 posts, read 566,092 times
Default Smoothies

Me again,

I buy the fat free plain yogurt (fit and active) and put it into the blender, add some frozen fruit from fit and active (strawberries, mixed berries, pineapple !!, and/or some peaches/mixed fruit. Blend and WOW. I also add some honey if the taste is not sweet enough.

Some other things I enjoy at Aldis - their nuts, potato chips (try the higher brand cheddar, jalepeno, barbeque) although their regular brand tastes just like Lays. Oh, I almost forgot, their gourmet cookies - we can't keep enough of the oatmeal/cranberry or the white chocolate macademia nut. When I see them I grab them. They are often sold out.

And also, we are huge Breyer's ice cream fans. My husband won't think of anything else. One day I bought the Aldi's higher brand ( can't think of the name, but the one that costs more) and he raved about the taste without knowing what I had done. He kept saying "That ice cream sure is creamy and rich."

There are more and we can all post and share - are we getting paid by Aldi's or what!?!

Sandy

Old 09-21-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorkelsandy View Post
Me again,

I buy the fat free plain yogurt (fit and active) and put it into the blender, add some frozen fruit from fit and active (strawberries, mixed berries, pineapple !!, and/or some peaches/mixed fruit. Blend and WOW. I also add some honey if the taste is not sweet enough.

Some other things I enjoy at Aldis - their nuts, potato chips (try the higher brand cheddar, jalepeno, barbeque) although their regular brand tastes just like Lays. Oh, I almost forgot, their gourmet cookies - we can't keep enough of the oatmeal/cranberry or the white chocolate macademia nut. When I see them I grab them. They are often sold out.

And also, we are huge Breyer's ice cream fans. My husband won't think of anything else. One day I bought the Aldi's higher brand ( can't think of the name, but the one that costs more) and he raved about the taste without knowing what I had done. He kept saying "That ice cream sure is creamy and rich."

There are more and we can all post and share - are we getting paid by Aldi's or what!?!

Sandy
I think that the higher brand is put up by Breyers. The Aldi that I used to go to in Maple Shade NJ used to occasionally get a few cartons of Breyers, for no particular reason.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:52 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Oh, don't stop! I am enjoying this so much! I am reading this stuff to hubby and we are both adding items to our list for our next run to ALDI, lol.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:21 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,061,904 times
I haven't liked the Fit and Active yogurt but any of those low sugar yogurts have an aftertaste to me....so it's probably more me than the yogurt. I have tried some of the other F&A (I'm just going to shortcut it, lol) products and have been very satisfied. Some things, like cocoa, are seasonal, just in the last few weeks they have it in again.

The one thing I haven't liked from Aldi's is the frozen asparagus. I just like it firmer, I'm an asparagus snob I guess.

DH laughs at me because I LOVE the cheapo mint chocolate chip ice cream. Fake green color, fake mint flavor....YUM!! He bought me Breyers recently but I really prefer the $1.69 Aldi's stuff.

We don't usually buy the cereal because I stock up elsewhere for less (sales + coupons). I'm glad to hear it gets such good reviews from you folks, in case my stockpile runs low....not likely in the near future...I just bought 16 boxes of Cascadian Farms Organic Granola for $0.50 a box ($5.19 at HT regular price).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte