Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 02:02 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,005,469 times

Advertisements

DA: No charges against man who shot suspect - Charlotte- msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32917936 - broken link)

Chalk when up for common sense! Looks like they will not be filing charges against the 76 yr old who shot the 15 yr old after he and his friends broke into the older man's home. I'm sure most of you know the details. I've been waiting for this decision and hope that the gentleman and his wife can now go on with their lives and be LEFT ALONE.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:12 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,962 times
McClure's home was invaded and he was definitely a victim. I think any and/or all of the perps could have and should have been shot while inside his home. However, I think he lost that benefit of the doubt when he got into his car to pursue the suspects. He could easily have found and shot the wrong guy. I disagree with the DA's decision.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:32 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
McClure's home was invaded and he was definitely a victim. I think any and/or all of the perps could have and should have been shot while inside his home. However, I think he lost that benefit of the doubt when he got into his car to pursue the suspects. He could easily have found and shot the wrong guy. I disagree with the DA's decision.
I agree though I think it's a sad situation for all involved.

How do you chase someone down in your car and then claim self-defense. Self-defense would have you driving the opposite direction than the one you are defending against......wouldn't it?

Old 09-18-2009, 02:34 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
Yeah, but the D.A. realized that a grand jury would most likely never indict him, so why waste the money? Juries react emotionally, not logically, and positively identify with McClure for the most part.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:39 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,918 times
I absolutely agree with the DA's decision! These thugs broke in to this mans home, tied up his wife and stole his property. He knew these guys had guns and when he went after them he had to assume they still had guns. I am thrilled that this man will not be charged and am just sorry that he didn't use the other bullets on the other thugs.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:41 PM

1,241 posts, read 2,322,260 times
I wonder if the dead kids mom will file a civil suit against 76 year old man. I'm sure there are tons of lawyers in contact with her.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I absolutely agree with the DA's decision! These thugs broke in to this mans home, tied up his wife and stole his property. He knew these guys had guns and when he went after them he had to assume they still had guns. I am thrilled that this man will not be charged and am just sorry that he didn't use the other bullets on the other thugs.
One might conclude that he was "taking out the garbage"!

Old 09-18-2009, 02:44 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I am thrilled that this man will not be charged and am just sorry that he didn't use the other bullets on the other thugs.
And if he would have wounded or killed an innocent person?

What then?

Old 09-18-2009, 02:45 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,098 times
My guess is this case is the last thing in the world that District Attorney Peter Gilchrist wanted to have to deal with. If it had not made it into the news, my guess is the old guy would have gotten some charges filed against him which would have been a tragedy of misjustice. Thankfully the people got involved and Gilchrist wouldn't touch it. He does after all hold an elective office.

Power to the people.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
I wonder if the dead kids mom will file a civil suit against 76 year old man. I'm sure there are tons of lawyers in contact with her.
She probably couldn't come up with the money! Even someone willing to do "pro-bono" work might realize in the long run, it might be very "tough sledding". What's not to say that McClure couldn't in turn, counter sue for "emotional stress" and "trama" from the incident?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte