Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 03:46 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,554,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
A follow up story last week in the observer and today the DA's statement.
------------------------------------------------------------
After a brief period, the other man left and Mr. McClure got off the ground, retrieved a gun he had in the basement, and went to check on his wife. He saw a number of young men running from his house into the woods. From previous break-ins at his residence he believed that the robbers were running to a vehicle on the other side of the woods. His wife told him she was okay and he got into his vehicle. His intention at that time was to get to their car before they did and to shoot out the tires to immobilize their car until the police arrived.

As Mr. McClure approached the area where he thought a car might be parked, there was no car, and instead he saw all the young men running towards him. At this point he fired a shot in the air in an attempt to scatter them away from him and his vehicle and back into the woods. Instead, they kept running towards him. Some passed in front of his car and some behind. As Marcus Fluker passed his car he began to turn towards Mr. McClure. McClure, an Army veteran, had identified the weapon pointed at him at his house as some type of automatic weapon. When Fluker turned towards him he thought he was about to get “sprayed” by fire from this automatic weapon. He fired at him. McClure did not know if he struck him because Mr. Fluker turned back around and continued to run. At this point, McClure no longer felt in danger and did not fire his weapon again.

So how badly injured were him and his wife after the "beatings"?

Old 09-19-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamwow! View Post
Thank God and for common sense that Mr. McClure, a man that raised a good family, never broke the law, is not being charged. At 76 years of age Mr. McClure, a man that has lived through some of the most difficult times in America, was not going down on his knees to 4 thugs that have no respect for life. I salute you sir!
Sounds like you know the gentleman personally.That must be awful.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:50 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,637,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
hmmm.

I disagree strongly.

If the young criminal had not invaded Mr. McClure's house, none of this would have happened. Let's put the responsibility for the ending back where it belongs... WITH THE CRIMINALS WHO COMMITTED THE CRIME.
Oh course, this is a given. But the thread was about Mr McClure. I'm not talking about the perpetrators.

At the end of the day, I couldn't give a flying fig what any of you think about my opinion. You don't know me and you don't know anything about me. I hate that small minded people think every discussion is an exercise in situational ethics or an opening for personal attacks.
1) You must sympathetic for the criminals or 2) if it were you, you would believe differently.

Been there, done that on this forum. Like I said. You don't me and you haven't had my life experiences. I doubt any one of you have had anything even close to this happen in your world. I have. So bug off.

ETA: Timm, not everyone on this forum agrees with you. Thanks to those that agreed with me privately and those that disagreed but respect my right to myopinion.

Last edited by baybook; 09-19-2009 at 04:51 PM..

Old 09-19-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Oh course, this is a given. But the thread was about Mr McClure. I'm not talking about the perpetrators.

At the end of the day, I couldn't give a flying fig what any of you think about my opinion. You don't know me and you don't know anything about me. I hate that small minded people think every discussion is an exercise in situational ethics or an opening for personal attacks.
1) You must sympathetic for the criminals or 2) if it were you, you would believe differently.

Been there, done that on this forum. Like I said. You don't me and you haven't had my life experiences. I doubt any one of you have had anything even close to this happen in your world. I have. So bug off.

ETA: Timm, not everyone on this forum agrees with you. Thanks to those that agreed with me privately and those that disagreed by respect my opinion.
Well said Baybook!
So now it's acceptable for "god-fearing" citizens to run around with guns and take the law into their own hands. Maybe the mother of the 15 year old would be justified in doing that tooAh, but many would argue that she couldn't possibly be a god fearing citizen.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:32 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,073,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Well said Baybook!
So now it's acceptable for "god-fearing" citizens to run around with guns and take the law into their own hands. Maybe the mother of the 15 year old would be justified in doing that tooAh, but many would argue that she couldn't possibly be a god fearing citizen.
What case are you talking about? Who was running around with guns taking the law into their own hands? No one in this case. The thugs were breaking the law and Mr. McClure was defending himself. As for the mother, if she was in a situation and had to defend herself why would she be charged? What does God have to do with it?

Old 09-19-2009, 04:53 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,207,727 times
Quote:

ETA: Timm, not everyone on this forum agrees with you. Thanks to those that agreed with me privately and those that disagreed by respect my opinion.
Mr. McClure and the perps are inseparable in this case.

No offense was intended by my post, please accept my apologies. I find your posts quite informative for the most part. I just disagreed with your statement about Mr. McClure causing this tragedy and stated as much... with my reasons.

And FYI, I've been robbed at gunpoint (thrice, unfortunately),... so it has happened in "my world" too. I'm not sure that it changes my opinion on the matter either way. But if a similar experience has granted you an amazing tolerance for violent criminals by some twist of logic and fate then I respect your decision on the matter... I just don't agree w/ it!

Old 09-19-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
What case are you talking about? Who was running around with guns taking the law into their own hands? No one in this case. The thugs were breaking the law and Mr. McClure was defending himself. As for the mother, if she was in a situation and had to defend herself why would she be charged? What does God have to do with it?
Exactly!
Read the other posts-it was someone else who quoted Mr Mclure as being a god-fearing man.
Last time I read the bible it said "thou shalt not kill".
He took the law into his own hands when he went after them-that was the job of the police.
Quite what he intended to do I am not sure.He was 76 and they were teenage thugs/punks and he had been beaten and tied up.
So what did he really intend by going after them with his gun in his pocket?

Old 09-19-2009, 05:01 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,637,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Mr. McClure and the perps are inseparable in this case.

No offense was intended by my post, please accept my apologies. I find your posts quite informative for the most part. I just disagreed with your statement about Mr. McClure causing this tragedy and stated as much... with my reasons.

And FYI, I've been robbed at gunpoint (thrice, unfortunately),... so it has happened in "my world" too. I'm not sure that it changes my opinion on the matter either way. But if a similar experience has granted you an amazing tolerance for violent criminals by some twist of logic and fate then I respect your decision on the matter... I just don't agree w/ it!
No offense to you either. I respect that we can see different sides of the same coin. And I responded your posts, not because you offended me, but because you asked a question and i took it seriously.

I don't have any tolerance for criminals. None. But I do believe there is a line between right and wrong. Despite how tempted we may be by circumstance to cross the line, I can't ignore what I see. I may understand it. But just because I understand it, or like or sympathize doesn't chnage my definition of right or wrong.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:22 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,073,991 times
Quote:
Exactly!
Read the other posts-it was someone else who quoted Mr Mclure as being a god-fearing man.
Last time I read the bible it said "thou shalt not kill". No, the correct Bible translation is "Thou shalt not MURDER." Very different.
He took the law into his own hands when he went after them-that was the job of the police. The DA has come to a different conclusion.
Quite what he intended to do I am not sure.He was 76 and they were teenage thugs/punks and he had been beaten and tied up.
I'm surprised you are commenting when you don't know the basics of the case. Read the article in the OP and you will know exactly what he intended. It's what he has said all along.
So what did he really intend by going after them with his gun in his pocket?
Knowing the thugs were armed it would have been pretty stupid to try to follow them without his own gun.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:35 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,224,512 times
Quote:
Exactly!
Last time I read the bible it said "thou shalt not kill".
Hmm maybe you missed the part of the bible that gave the Israelites permission to kill other humans in cases such as punishment for certain sins, for example, murder and adultery. Warfare is also allowed.

Most people read that commandment as thou shall not murder.

---------------------------------

BTW, I read up on this this afternoon. McClure didn't go after these boys. He went to keep them from stealing his car and he took his gun to shoot out the tires. When he got to the car they came after him, even after he fired the gun first in the air as a warning. This didn't have any effect, he feared for his life as they did after all tied them up in their own house and beat them, and so he did what he needed to do to defend himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte