Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2009, 11:22 AM

3,069 posts, read 9,168,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
It only matters when people outside the situation step in to make it a race issue. I think most of us know that it does happen in our country. In this case Mr McClure is black as were all the boys who robbed him.
True. If you have lived here long you know that if the shooter had been white our local news media would have found a way to mention it and try and start up a race issue. We have too many news media reporters looking for blood and anything they can to get people upset which means more stories for them to hype.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:45 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,560,504 times
Replying to several posts at once here-it’s quicker.I assume that you will know if I am quoting you (text in red)

They found guns at a later time at one of the boy's home.

Surely you can’t believe that means something or proves anything?
What percentage of homeowners in Charlotte own guns?
I bet no one even has the true figures, that is how “well regulated” gun ownership is.

So now his intent does not even matter?? There are times when our society DEPENDS on heros doing more than what they have to. Mr McClure risked his life because it was right to try and stop the cycle of violence these boys were perpetraiting.

His intent was vital, but, from what I have read, what he states as his intent just doesn’t add up for me.There are just too many missing or contradictory facts.
I asked some questions to try and clarify things as I assumed those who applauded him might have the answers, however I have not received any FACTS that have led me to agree with the majority opinion here.

Give me some facts to work with here-I like them, they help me to learn.

If you can see Mr McClure as a hero, then we have a completely different view on the value of human life , but I think we’ve already established that.

As I have said numerous times here (but I note you quoted only sentences in isolation, maj of which were questions, not statements) he was a victim of crime, but IMO when he left his house with a gun he took the law into his own hands.He must have been shocked and angry, was an elderly gentleman who had just been assaulted and he went off not knowing what he might be confronted with, but he was running on Adrenaline. He ended up killing someone.

Something that no-one has mentioned-I wonder how he feels knowing he did that?
Will he have nightmares, be riddled with guilt, wonder who the boys family are ? If he is a Christian then I would have thought so.

Then please afford the same courtesy to chromekitty whom you addressed as Kitty Kat just in a PP.
Did you read the post? I asked someone to refrain from calling me Susan-which is exactly what CK insists on doing. So I figure if someone can call me as they please then maybe I can do the same? Or maybe it doesn’t work like that (probably)

Why was the Ani's use of the word "Brit" scathing?
You are the only person that called me a Brit , so I was referring to your post which I quoted.
If you don’t realise that it is mostly used in a deregatory manner then it may be because you don’t live in Europe.It is often used in the same way as some British people would use the term Yanks to refer to Americans.

This isn't a game susan, this is a very tragic story and you are trying to interject into something that you have no clue whatsoever about.
Heavens-if I thought it was a game do you think I would still be here trying to make sense of it?
It is precisely because I feel it is a tragedy that I am here, however, I am amazed at how few people (I am sure many of whom regard themselves as Christians) have expressed any empathy for anyone except Mr McClure!
In fact the dead boy has been called a punk and a thug on so many occasions I lost count!
One poster (at least) cast aspersions about the dead boys mother.
I have a heck of a lot more insight than many posting here.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
This is the definition of murder in North Carolina and the penalty for having committed it. Note: the penalty is death or life imprisonment unless you are under 18, then no death.

14‑17. Murder in the first and second degree defined; punishment.
A murder which shall be perpetrated by means of a nuclear, biological, or chemical weapon of mass destruction as defined in G.S. 14‑288.21, poison, lying in wait, imprisonment, starving, torture, or by any other kind of willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing, or which shall be committed in the perpetration or attempted perpetration of any arson, rape or a sex offense, robbery, kidnapping, burglary, or other felony committed or attempted with the use of a deadly weapon shall be deemed to be murder in the first degree, a Class A felony, and any person who commits such murder shall be punished with death or imprisonment in the State's prison for life without parole as the court shall determine pursuant to G.S. 15A‑2000, except that any such person who was under 18 years of age at the time of the murder shall be punished with imprisonment in the State's prison for life without parole. All other kinds of murder, including that which shall be proximately caused by the unlawful distribution of opium or any synthetic or natural salt, compound, derivative, or preparation of opium, or cocaine or other substance described in G.S. 90‑90(1)d., or methamphetamine, when the ingestion of such substance causes the death of the user, shall be deemed murder in the second degree, and any person who commits such murder shall be punished as a Class B2 felon.
So the question comes down to "willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing". Gilchrist decided there wasn't enough evidence to proceed on these grounds. I would agree with this as while the victim showed very bad judgement in choosing to to chase these thugs, it would not seem to be a premeditated move to off any of them.
Thanks-so if you kill someone with a gun, it's either self defense (no sentence) or first degree murder? No middle ground.
What about manslaughter?

Old 09-21-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
susan42, Ani did not call you a brit.

As a citizen of, & resident of the UK you may feel that this situation is going against your ideals, but this is the US. Each state regulates guns as the population sees fit. While I dare say that you would probably be far more comfortable with gun laws in NJ, there have been similar cases there & no charges were made.

Yes, many of our laws in this country do date back to the 1700s, particularly in the states that comprised the original colonies. The colonial laws were based on English Common Law. Just as laws have changed in the UK in that time, they have changed here, but this is a different population. Many of us are descended from the Scots Irish & many are descended from the Scots who were captured during the wars of the 1600s & early 1700s and were shipped as prisoners to the colonies & sold off as indentured servants. I am saying this because they & their children were some of our founding fathers & they helped to make the laws that, in some form, are still here today.

Now, that said, we have differing views on gun ownership in this country & the laws differ by state. The DA did not find a case against Mr. McClure, based on NC laws. I do not own a gun & never have. I don't know if I will, but Mr. McClure was the victim & the DA's decision was right.
Can I ask why you don't own a gun yourself?

Old 09-21-2009, 01:59 PM

To the idiot who keeps sending me comments with rep points because they are too much of an ass to post it here or send me a DM-please cease-IT'S HARASSMENT.

I have my own idea who it is- been told off by the mods so many times it's the only way they can find to be rude and insulting.

Hi. You are cute, but this is America, we left your native country for many reasons. We will never go back. Thanks for understanding.
I may be opinionated, stubborn and passionate, but cute I certainly aint!
Oh BTW that makes it your native country too

Old 09-21-2009, 02:03 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,844,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Can I ask why you don't own a gun yourself?
I don't feel a need. If I felt a need I'd get one. However, I am not unarmed. I own professional grade mace. It's less hassle, however, if I use it on a perp, I am obliged to call & notify the police to take the perp for the antidote.

I live in Kings Mountain & if I call the cops it would take 5 minutes or less to respond.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I don't feel a need. If I felt a need I'd get one. However, I am not unarmed. I own professional grade mace. It's less hassle, however, if I use it on a perp, I am obliged to call & notify the police to take the perp for the antidote.

I live in Kings Mountain & if I call the cops it would take 5 minutes or less to respond.
Thanks-sounds like something we would consider having.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:11 PM

45,217 posts, read 101,008,663 times
Quote:
Replying to several posts at once here-it’s quicker.I assume that you will know if I am quoting you (text in red)

I bet no one even has the true figures, that is how “well regulated” gun ownership is.

So now his intent does not even matter?? There are times when our society DEPENDS on heros doing more than what they have to. Mr McClure risked his life because it was right to try and stop the cycle of violence these boys were perpetraiting.

His intent was vital, but, from what I have read, what he states as his intent just doesn’t add up for me.There are just too many missing or contradictory facts.
I asked some questions to try and clarify things as I assumed those who applauded him might have the answers, however I have not received any FACTS that have led me to agree with the majority opinion here.

If you can see Mr McClure as a hero, then we have a completely different view on the value of human life , but I think we’ve already established that.

As I have said numerous times here (but I note you quoted only sentences in isolation, maj of which were questions, not statements) he was a victim of crime, but IMO when he left his house with a gun he took the law into his own hands.He must have been shocked and angry, was an elderly gentleman who had just been assaulted and he went off not knowing what he might be confronted with, but he was running on Adrenaline. He ended up killing someone.

Will he have nightmares, be riddled with guilt, wonder who the boys family are ? If he is a Christian then I would have thought so.

Then please afford the same courtesy to chromekitty whom you addressed as Kitty Kat just in a PP.
Did you read the post? I asked someone to refrain from calling me Susan-which is exactly what CK insists on doing. So I figure if someone can call me as they please then maybe I can do the same? Or maybe it doesn’t work like that (probably)

You are the only person that called me a Brit , so I was referring to your post which I quoted.
If you don’t realise that it is mostly used in a deregatory manner then it may be because you don’t live in Europe.It is often used in the same way as some British people would use the term Yanks to refer to Americans

This isn't a game susan, this is a very tragic story and you are trying to interject into something that you have no clue whatsoever about.
Heavens-if I thought it was a game do you think I would still be here trying to make sense of it?
It is precisely because I feel it is a tragedy that I am here, however, I am amazed at how few people (I am sure many of whom regard themselves as Christians) have expressed any empathy for anyone except Mr McClure!
In fact the dead boy has been called a punk and a thug on so many occasions I lost count!

Honestly, I didn't know being called a "yank" by someone from England was an insult - I don't feel at all insulted when someone says that, but then I am not easily offended or into PC talk But again, you make a good point - I am not from England, so how can I really know how a person from England feels about local issues and vocabulary? Just like you are not from America - so I understand why you do not value our constitutional 2nd ammendment the way we do

Old 09-21-2009, 03:13 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,563,402 times
Quote:

If you don’t realise that it is mostly used in a deregatory manner then it may be because you don’t live in Europe.It is often used in the same way as some British people would use the term Yanks to refer to Americans.

I did NOT call you susan until after your kitty kat comment and then having the audacity to ask Ani call you by your screen name.

Stop trying to play victim here YOU are the one who is taking this thread and violating TOS with your hostile comments to others.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:17 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,844,538 times
Quote:
Thanks-sounds like something we would consider having.
The professional grade mace products must be purchased from Police Supply stores. Pepper spray is more widely available & it is not something that I would waste money on.

If you spray without cause you can be jailed & sued the same as if you took a pot-shot with a gun.

Also, every few years you have to toss the can & buy a new one. They lose pressure.

I still believe that Mr MClure was in the right, based on US social views & NC laws. I just don't feel the need to own a gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte