Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 12:21 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
Uh..yeah The Palisades is such a crime ridden area in Steele Creek ..that they are now building million dollars homes near by:

Moderator cut: url removed
I would be happy to live there . . . if I could afford it.

Last edited by autumngal; 03-02-2008 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: mod edit quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 12:26 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I would be happy to live there . . . if I could afford it.
It is very nice back there...but personally if I was going to spend that kind of money...I'd buy something right on the lake on the SC side and have money left over (but to each their own)?

Old 02-25-2008, 12:28 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
Million dollar & multi-million dollar mansions that are beautiful!

Old 03-01-2008, 11:34 AM

7 posts, read 22,371 times
You can forget getting anything in the Palisades for under $750K, I don't care what anybody says about starting in the $350's. Forget about it. $750k is a "starter" home here. About a mile away is Waterlyn on Shopton Rd. West. I bought a house here from Regent Homes. Awsome builder, great neighborhood and I got 2800 sq. feet loaded for $216K. I go to the Palisades on the weekends to play golf - about a 3 minute drive!

Paul

Old 03-01-2008, 11:39 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP-1976 View Post
You can forget getting anything in the Palisades for under $750K, I don't care what anybody says about starting in the $350's. Forget about it. $750k is a "starter" home here. About a mile away is Waterlyn on Shopton Rd. West. I bought a house here from Regent Homes. Awsome builder, great neighborhood and I got 2800 sq. feet loaded for $216K. I go to the Palisades on the weekends to play golf - about a 3 minute drive!

Paul
Sounds like you have figured out how to combine the best of both worlds! Great strategy!

Old 03-01-2008, 12:41 PM

672 posts, read 1,830,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP-1976 View Post

Paul
Okay honestly I am a bit confused as to why I keep seeing come buy in Waterlyn. I hope you aren't a sales agent in waterlyn trying to win over customers. Actually you can very well buy a house in the Palasades for $350k-$500k. We have actually spent a good deal of time there but it was just slightly out of our price range. But I wish we could have reconsidered before we made our decision b/c that development is beautiful, a great place to raise a family, and many gated communities, which would be essential for me if I ever bought another house in Steele Creek. Honestly, you cannot compare the Palisades to Waterlyn or any other subdivision in Steele Creek, accept maybe the Sanctuary. Waterlyn is not gated, while the Palisades development is in the better side of Steele Creek.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:44 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
Okay honestly I am a bit confused as to why I keep seeing come buy in Waterlyn. I hope you aren't a sales agent in waterlyn trying to win over customers. Actually you can very well buy a house in the Palasades for $350k-$500k. We have actually spent a good deal of time there but it was just slightly out of our price range. But I wish we could have reconsidered before we made our decision b/c that development is beautiful, a great place to raise a family, and many gated communities, which would be essential for me if I ever bought another house in Steele Creek. Honestly, you cannot compare the Palisades to Waterlyn or any other subdivision in Steele Creek, accept maybe the Sanctuary. Waterlyn is not gated, while the Palisades development is in the better side of Steele Creek.
I will agree and disagree with you - Yes, you can certainly buy a home in the Palisades in the $400's - that post above about them being $750 and up is an exaggeration for sure (and I too am wondering about this new poster who is making such claims). But as nice as I think the Palisades is, it really is just a mile or so from Waterlyn, so I don't see how it is on the "better side" of Steele Creek. In truth, they are BOTH on the best side of Steele Creek.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I will agree and disagree with you - Yes, you can certainly buy a home in the Palisades in the $400's - that post above about them being $750 and up is an exaggeration for sure (and I too am wondering about this new poster who is making such claims). But as nice as I think the Palisades is, it really is just a mile or so from Waterlyn, so I don't see how it is on the "better side" of Steele Creek. In truth, they are BOTH on the best side of Steele Creek.
I guess I always think of that side as being the better part as it is closer to the water. The thing that I love about the Palisades is that it is its own little area, gated communities, ammenities, a really nice drive in, etc. You know, I will say Waterlyn looks really nice driving by it but I personally would never live there b/c of the gang activity and markings that have been reported in that area. While both the palisades and Waterlyn are close, the Palisades seems so isolated, seperate from everything else. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side though

Old 03-01-2008, 06:55 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
I guess I always think of that side as being the better part as it is closer to the water. The thing that I love about the Palisades is that it is its own little area, gated communities, ammenities, a really nice drive in, etc. You know, I will say Waterlyn looks really nice driving by it but I personally would never live there b/c of the gang activity and markings that have been reported in that area. While both the palisades and Waterlyn are close, the Palisades seems so isolated, seperate from everything else. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side though
Well, maybe the more accurate thing to say would have been that the Palisades in on the better side of hwy 49, not the better side of Steele Creek, LOL! Waterlyn does look nice, and if people living there say it is nice who am I to argue

As far as gang activity and markings in the Steele Creek area it seems to me these are not so much real gangs doing any of this but little punk gang wannabees. It all comes down to those one or two spots where the foreclosure rates have climbed and the criminals have moved in.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well, maybe the more accurate thing to say would have been that the Palisades in on the better side of hwy 49, not the better side of Steele Creek, LOL! Waterlyn does look nice, and if people living there say it is nice who am I to argue

As far as gang activity and markings in the Steele Creek area it seems to me these are not so much real gangs doing any of this but little punk gang wannabees. It all comes down to those one or two spots where the foreclosure rates have climbed and the criminals have moved in.
I'm sure a lot of them could be want to be's but my problem with Waterlyns location is that it is right next to the Steele Croft neighborhood which has known gang activity and a whole lot of crime issues:
Steelecroft Residents,

I spoke with a concerned citizen today in Steelecroft who expressed concern over several “problem” households in the neighborhood that are contributing to drug activity, drug sales, vandalism, theft, and burglary. If you were unable to attend the Crime Watch meeting which was held at the pool on August 11th, I spoke on the importance of effective communication between the community and the police department. I touched on the following points:

Officer Distribution and Police Presence: Our division is extremely big and as it stands, our department fields 2 officers for every 1000 residents. Most of this district’s violent crime occurs around the Archdale Drive/Nations Ford Road area. Because of this, a majority of our officers are assigned to patrol those violent crime hotspots. The officer allocation for the area of our district between I485 and Lake Wylie is not as fortified due to the type of crime that is consistent with the area. You will not see patrol units ride through Steelecroft every 10 minutes, like you do on Nations Ford Road. For this very reason, we need you to share as much information as you can with us.

Communication: If I polled everyone in the community and asked them to share information on an address, individual, or vehicle that was problematic, every one would have something to share, unless of course they were part of the problem. If you took all of that information, more than likely, you would see several common denominators. I have been alerted to a couple of problem individuals and residences, but the information that is shared needs to be consistent and detailed. If you witness drug activity, please do the following:

Call 911. Explain to the operator that you are witnessing drug activity and follow up by giving a detailed description. Finally, explain to the dispatcher that this is an ongoing problem.

So in short I wouldn't live in Waterlyn b/c of it's general surroundings, b/c afterall it only takes so long for that crime to spread outward, unfortunately. I still think Waterlyn looks nice from the road but if I could afford to live in the Palisades I would chose that any day of the week over Waterlyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte