Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 05:55 AM

4,588 posts, read 6,417,422 times

Advertisements

Charlotte broke a new record low temperature this morning at 30. Many areas were in the 20's this morning, which means the growing season has ended. It will warm up significantly later this week as temperatures hit the 70s. Colder next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 06:03 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,246 times
Brrrr....we had the heat on this morning, the earliest we've ever had to turn it on here.

I went out yesterday and pulled up my impatiens, begonias and cut back the dahlias. It was difficult because they were all still blooming and looking nice but once they get a little frosty they turn to mush, blech!!

I'm glad it will warm up though, I still have more outside chores to do so I'll just wait a few days and do it then.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:08 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,208,979 times
Low was 34 here. Stuff still growing.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:43 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,721,860 times
This was not a hard freeze IMO. If you took precautions and covered up your plants (or brought what you could inside), you should be fine....

Old 10-19-2009, 06:55 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,826,415 times
My impatients in the flowerbed look a little peaked, the one's in my big flower pots on the porch with the hydrangia's look fine as do the hydrangia's.

I think we are in for a long cold winter.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:11 AM

4,588 posts, read 6,417,422 times
Yep, almost all long range forecasters say NC and the entire Mid-Atlantic are in for a long, hard winter, with much above amounts of snow and ice. Just like I like it!

Old 10-19-2009, 07:48 AM

11 posts, read 26,939 times
Damn that global warming!

Old 10-19-2009, 08:21 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,208,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwrivera View Post
Damn that global warming!
Not sure what this has to do with last night's weather, but it is definately warmer in Charlotte now in general than it was when I move here in the 1970s. They have actually moved us into Agricultural Zone 8 where we used to be in zone 7. I do realize that you probably are not interested in any of these facts but possibly others are.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:55 AM

416 posts, read 927,813 times
Obviously, one night of cold temp has nothing to do with Global Warming. Of course, I've seen little to convince me that carbon output has anything to do with Global Warming either.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:01 AM

11 posts, read 26,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Not sure what this has to do with last night's weather, but it is definately warmer in Charlotte now in general than it was when I move here in the 1970s. They have actually moved us into Agricultural Zone 8 where we used to be in zone 7. I do realize that you probably are not interested in any of these facts but possibly others are.

No, actually I am interested. That is fascinating as I was not aware. I have only been in Charlotte for three and a half years and this is the earliest frost to my recollection to date. My family back in MA was also discussing how getting snow in October is extremely rare, and may never have happened. I was hoping for a warmer, milder winter, and thought that was the prediciton, but now not so sure, have to recheck. Also, I have been going off the Agricultural Zone 7 as I had not seen it rated as an 8.

As for my little scarcasm about that damn global warming: I just keep hearing stories about how the climate actully stopped warming up two years ago and is now in a declining temperature mode. While much of this is supposedly confirmed by science, you really need to understand who is sponsoring the scientist and paying for thier results - on both sides of the arguement. As the weather continues to be colder I find myself questioning the "global warming being caused by man". I especially question Al Gore and his motives: If he is so certain that we cause this, then why is he still flying around the globe in his private jet??? What is he actually doing to reduce HIS carbon footprint?? I know he is just dying for all of us to be trading energy caps on his new trading system making him billions while we all suffer with higher electricity and heating bills.....

BTW: I enjoy your posts - Moxie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: