Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 02:12 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times

Advertisements

I received the following email today from Capt. Rod Golding, CMPD, South Division (this is mass mailing - you can sign up to get such alerts from your CMPD Division).

It addresses some of the things that have been discussed on various threads. Although this email does not discuss overall crime in CLT, it does address "home invasions," and advises that some break-ins, wh/ have been referred to in the media as home invasions are not really best characterized that way. The letter says to pass this info on, so that is what I am doing.

Greetings,

As Captain of CMPD’s South Division, I have received several inquiries about two separate issues that I know have raised concerns in our community. The first is a series of emails circulating throughout Southern Mecklenburg County and the Weddington area of Union County suggesting that the gang MS-13 is targeting affluent communities for robberies / kidnappings and the second concerns a series of burglaries in South Charlotte. Here is what we know about these two issues. Please feel free to pass this along to others you believe would be interested in the information.

Attempted Kidnapping/Robbery

On December 23, 2007 at approximately 8:00 P.M., a Providence Country Club neighborhood resident was in the street when a dark colored minivan drove up. A male, described by the victim as Hispanic, got out of the van, pointed a gun at him and ordered him into the van. The victim resisted, a struggle ensued and the victim was shot in the leg. Fortunately, the victim did not sustain life-threatening injuries. After being released from the hospital, the victim sent an email out describing the incident. In the email, the victim makes the following statement. “Gang initiation*is a possibility here... or just money, but we'll never know.” *This incident coupled with a rumor of MS-13 graffiti behind the Arboretum has caused some to believe that MS-13 has targeted Providence Country Club for attacks on citizens.

We have no information currently that would lead us to believe that this crime was anything other than an isolated incident that is unusual for the Providence Country Club Community and the entire South Division. *In fact, citywide, there are only a few reports of this type. *

Key Points:

〈******* While gang issues throughout the Charlotte region have grown in recent years, according to CMPD’s Gang Unit, MS-13 primarily targets rival gangs and it is not its practice to require a certain type of crime to be committed in order to gain membership

〈******* There was some graffiti reported at the Arboretum last week that the management company quickly painted over, which is what we want

〈******* I have spoken to the officers who have worked that area for many years and they have informed me that there are not any indications that MS-13 has tagged the Arboretum. The department’s gang unit tracks reported graffiti throughout our jurisdiction and they are informing me that there is no significant MS-13 tagging in the South Division

〈******* I have also spoken to Union County Sheriff Eddie Cathey and he informs me there is no MS-13 activity in that area of Union County

Burglaries

The South Division, like several other divisions, is currently experiencing an increase in residential break-in’s. We are working diligently to identify and arrest suspects and working with neighborhoods to minimize risks of victimization.

In most of these cases the suspects are knocking on doors to make sure no one is at home before entering

〈******** There have been a few cases in which residents, for whatever reason, did not respond to the knock on the door so the suspects broke in, apparently thinking no one was home

〈******** When the suspects saw someone was home, they fled, often without taking anything from the residence

〈******** Crime analysis indicates there is no relationship among these incidents.

In many cases, the media and some citizens are inaccurately characterizing these burglaries as “home invasions”, a term that certainly heightens fear even further, but fortunately doesn’t apply to most burglaries, even if someone happens to be home when the suspect breaks in. Home invasion-style robberies are lifestyle robberies; they are seldom random. The home/residents are targeted for drugs, cash or other goods known to the suspects or it is domestic-related.

Anatomy of These Burglaries

Here’s what we are seeing:

〈******* Random areas targeted

〈******* No pattern to time of day or day of the week

〈******* Suspects have tendency to use stolen or rented cars, which makes it especially challenging to address from both prevention and apprehension standpoints. However, we are also looking into working with rental car companies to prevent these individuals from being able to rent cars.

〈******* We are aggressively pursuing leads and presenting cases to the DA’s office as aggressively as possible

〈******* Most of the suspects identified are repeat offenders. We are*attempting to get some of these individuals*monitored under the new electronic monitoring program

〈******* One of our means of addressing the issue was to increase awareness in the affected communities by emailing information about the trend to community representatives. The good news is that the information reached a lot of people. The bad news is that some of the information was taken out of context and misconstrued to the extent that it created unsubstantiated fear.

Finally, some emails have inaccurately suggested the police are trying to keep this issue quiet, ostensibly so as not to create a panic. *We haven’t kept quiet at all -- you may recall a South Division Community Coordinator initiated email notification about the burglaries. However, when alarming misinformation exists, we have serious concerns about creating unnecessary panic. An informed public is the best tool for the prevention and solving of crime. However, a misinformed public is counterproductive to addressing real issues.

I appreciate the working relationship we have with our neighborhood leadership and neighborhood members and encourage you to continue to work with us to make our neighborhoods safer.

Captain Rod Golding

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police

South Division

8050 Corporate Center Drive

Suite 100

Charlotte, NC 28226
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 02:50 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,005 times
Don't have blinders on cause you live in the burbs in a "nice area".

All the crime is not inner-city!

Stay Safe!

Old 01-16-2008, 03:11 PM

Default Believe me, I agree 100% w/ you

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Don't have blinders on cause you live in the burbs in a "nice area".

All the crime is not inner-city!

Stay Safe!
What you say is entirely correct! I am hyper-vigilant and very careful.

I wanted to post this b/c I had seen an email going around that characterized the Providence CC incident very differently. And also, I have been concerned about the home invasions, but they sound more like burglars who thought no one was home and came in (rather than choosing to break in w/ people on premises). I work at home so I am very concerned about anyone coming into my home.

You are right - none of us should have blinders on. Denial or refusal to believe that crime can happen anywhere . . . is a dangerous mindset.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:29 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
That is great info, thanks for posting

Old 01-16-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
That is great info, thanks for posting
Well, Loves, it only seemed like the right thing to do to post it - since things have been discussed on this forum. Of course, this is just for South District.

I hope it did not appear I am trying to say that no crime ever happens - or imply that I think life in my hood means crime never happens, Hee Hee.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:36 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,667,397 times
Great info and puts things into perspective. The only qualm I might have with the report is the following statement:

Quote:
〈******* Most of the suspects identified are repeat offenders. We are*attempting to get some of these individuals*monitored under the new electronic monitoring program
This really just blows my mind. Serious consideration must be geared to a program in line with 3 strikes and your out! I would be willing to give a lighter or suspended sentence for first time offender; 2nd offense you will have many years to think about why you committed the same or similar offense again; and the 3rd time you commit an equal to or more serious crime, you can kiss your life goodbye since you'll be spending the next 15-25 behind bars!!

If they are considering electronic monitoring devices, they must be issued to first offenders. What good are they gonna do for umphteen time offenders??? ggrrrrrrrr...............

Old 01-16-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Great info and puts things into perspective. The only qualm I might have with the report is the following statement:

This really just blows my mind. Serious consideration must be geared to a program in line with 3 strikes and your out! I would be willing to give a lighter or suspended sentence for first time offender; 2nd offense you will have many years to think about why you committed the same or similar offense again; and the 3rd time you commit an equal to or more serious crime, you can kiss your life goodbye since you'll be spending the next 15-25 behind bars!!

If they are considering electronic monitoring devices, they must be issued to first offenders. What good are they gonna do for umphteen time offenders??? ggrrrrrrrr...............
Agree. It is rather a baffling approach to properly dealing with repeat offenders, isn't it?

Old 01-16-2008, 08:03 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,751,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
In many cases, the media and some citizens are inaccurately characterizing these burglaries as “home invasions”...
Thanks for posting this ani. There was actually a recent article on Charlotte.com where a spokesman from the police department also attempted to "set the record straight" regarding the rash of "so-called" home invasions across the city, not just the South division. At any rate, this person noted that many of the incidents have been inaccurately reported by the media, and that they were not random events at all, etc. Much the same as what was noted above. Several of them where actually robberies of suspected drug houses, or homes where people actually knew the victims and were looking for something specific. Bottom line, contrary to how some people try to portrary the city, unless someone lives in "da hood", no one in Charlotte should be sitting in their home paranoid that someone is going to smash the door down.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:14 PM

3 posts, read 7,512 times
Agreed that the incident is probably exaggerated. However, I recently moved here from the Cincinnati area and we never had crime of this magnitude in the 'Burbs. Yes robberies occurred, but not in as many neighborhoods and violent crime among unknown victims was completely unheard of in similar demographic areas. I know we alot of hard working police in this town, but what gives? Are they letting this get out of hand? After living in two large metro areas where this was NOT a problem in the 'Burbs, I'm very disappointed in the response from law enforcement.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:17 PM

3 posts, read 7,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Agree. It is rather a baffling approach to properly dealing with repeat offenders, isn't it?
I couldn't agree more. Meanwhile we have cops giving out traffic tickets like candy on Halloween, while thieves ransack homes of hard working tax payers. That really irks me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte