Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 01:23 PM

178 posts, read 875,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertrule View Post
the water is really warm right now

there were dogs all over the place

Pointers:
make reservations
wear old shoes
sunscreen
be postive
have fun
Thanks for the doggie info- we'll go check it out this weekend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 02:37 PM

14 posts, read 33,212 times
My wife and I stopped in while visiting Charlotte this past week and thought it was great. We were amazed that it was free, and at how few people were there (we were there mid-day on a Saturday). I think its a nice outdoor attraction and activitiy for Charlotte, and unlike anything I've seen elsewhere.

We live in Chicago right now, and you pay for everything here. On top of that, if it's free here, it's mobbed. A place like that within 2 hours of this city... forget about it- you'd be waiting in very very long lines even to use the trails.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:36 PM

297 posts, read 1,141,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamwrok View Post
My wife and I stopped in while visiting Charlotte this past week and thought it was great. We were amazed that it was free, and at how few people were there (we were there mid-day on a Saturday). I think its a nice outdoor attraction and activitiy for Charlotte, and unlike anything I've seen elsewhere.

We live in Chicago right now, and you pay for everything here. On top of that, if it's free here, it's mobbed. A place like that within 2 hours of this city... forget about it- you'd be waiting in very very long lines even to use the trails.
I have been several times and never see a crowd. Are the mountian bike trails even completed? The times I have been with my bikes the trails were not finished. And ended up riding around a 1 mile loop with my wife several times for some light exercise. I hate riding past the same thing over and over. Although the last time I went there was a knockout blond in a kayakModerator cut: removed

Old 05-24-2007, 11:39 AM

Sorry you have not enjoyed your time at the park DUke- apparently 6,000 people last weekend did. Here is a copy of an email I just received from the nice folks at the Whitewater Center:

"It looks like this weekend is shaping up to be another beautiful Carolina weekend. The crowds are growing as we approach the summer (over 6,000 people came out last weekend). We are aware that the lack of directional signage on the highways and roads leading to the Center is frustrating to many. We appreciate everyone sticking with us as we work through the issues involved with getting signs installed on the interstates and roads serving our facility. For now, check out the written directions provided on the side pane as well as the map and directions on the web-site (www.usnwc.org).

Looking for something to do this weekend? I think we can provide everyone with a little something to enjoy.

Rafting: The rafting trips are booking up quickly so if you are thinking about rafting call now 704-391-3900. Tell them you decided to book your trip after reading this email and we will provide every 50th caller with a free raft trip.

Climbing: The guided climbs always book up early so if there is anyone in your family that loves to dangle 46 feet in the air sign them up NOW. The climbing folks have decided to match the rafting deal and they are going to provide every 50th climber with a free climb.

Mountain Biking: The trails are free to use so come on out and ride early and often this weekend. The mountain bike rental team is thinking about possibly providing a free rental for the 50th person that walks up to rent a bike. Who is going to be the lucky person this weekend?

Flatwater: Trips are each Friday (12:00pm & 3:00pm) and Saturday (10:00am, 1:00pm & 3:30pm) in May and Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (10:00pm, 1:00pm, & 3:30pm) in June. Please call to book your reservation or sign up at the kayak check-in building day of.

Kayak Instruction: If you thought rafting was cool, you will love kayaking our Class III-IV whitewater. Our kayak instruction program will introduce you to the thrills of kayaking as well as the tremendous workout benefits of the sport. There are instruction programs for all levels and you will never find a more convenient means of accessing top notch kayak instruction.

FOOD FIGHT!- There is always the Eddy Restaurant and Bar if you are thinking the activities are for other people. We have just ordered a new selection of micro-brews and the wine list has been updated so stop in and check it out. "

See you out there!

Old 05-26-2007, 08:06 AM

13 posts, read 11,762 times
Dogs are welcome, but PLEASE keep them away from the channels. The water is very dangerous, and your dog could be killed if it falls in, or worse injure a boater..
someone was there a week or so ago, throwing a tennis ball in the water for the dog to fetch..not good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston2000 View Post
Thanks for the doggie info- we'll go check it out this weekend!

Old 05-26-2007, 08:07 AM

13 posts, read 11,762 times
The trails were there long before the WWC even opened. Not sure what you are talking about them not being completed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKE1989 View Post
I have been several times and never see a crowd. Are the mountian bike trails even completed? The times I have been with my bikes the trails were not finished. And ended up riding around a 1 mile loop with my wife several times for some light exercise. I hate riding past the same thing over and over. Although the last time I went there was a knockout blond in a kayakModerator cut: removed

Old 06-02-2007, 07:35 PM

I went out to the Whitewater Center today for the Charlotte Sports Commission River Roar. It was packed with adults,children & dogs- all having a wonderful time! The climbing walls appear challenging and were filled with climbers of all ages. The rapids were filled with trainers teaching folks in kayak-ettes ( the equivalent of short skis I guess), long kayaks, canoes and large river rafts.

We spoke to several of the whitewater rafters after their runs, and they all said it was a blast. Several riders fell off the boat in particularly challenging areas, but were swiftly hoisted up none too elegantly by the seat of their pants back into the raft. Lifeguards with ropes are positioned alongside as well in case you need a rope. Remember, you must be 12 years old to be on the rapids. Another family we spoke with was preparing for a flatwater canoe ride on the Catawba River with a guide ( younger children are allowed onto the flatwater canoes).

I was particularly excited to see all of the dogs out there, from italian greyhounds to great danes today. We are so fortunate to have such a terrific facility here in our city, I encourage all of you to go check it out. It was a great way to spend a saturday afternoon!

Old 06-02-2007, 07:49 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,953,183 times
I'm going out there tomorrow. It sounds like a blast!

Old 06-02-2007, 08:59 PM

107 posts, read 121,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
I just love the way you take articles and “cherry-pick” out bits and pieces. I’ll add these quoetes from the article which you conveniently left out, along with the link to the full article so people could read it for themselves.…

“…Six governments from Mecklenburg and Gaston counties pledged up to $12 million to pay operating costs in case of shortfalls during the center's first seven years.

Charlotte pledged $2 million, not to exceed $285,700 a year. Mecklenburg pledged $7 million, or up to $1 million a year.

The pledges are to be a safety net for the center, which was estimated in 2003 to cost about $21.5 million to build. That figure has increased to $38 million.

If the projections of operating losses pan out, each government would distribute its share to the center after a financial analysis and audit, Kimble said…”

Link to full article: http://www.charlotte.com/109/story/116572.html (broken link)
Carolina Blue,

You rock...

Lester
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte