Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 10:30 AM

509 posts, read 1,804,208 times

Advertisements

My daughter is turning 2 at the end of this month and we are having a big party. I want a cool funky cake... not a sheet cake with winnie the pooh stenciled on top.

I know Edible Art on Selwyn in Charlotte is good. Has anyone used Cake Designs on Catawba Ave in Cornelius?

Thanks!

GT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 11:00 AM

509 posts, read 1,804,208 times
oh and as long as I'm asking... I think I might get this catered... bbq... any ideas?

GT

Old 05-10-2007, 11:01 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,558,888 times
Try The Bakery Shoppe in Huntersville the cake designs at this place are phenominal very artisitic. It is close to North Cross Shopping center from Cornelius take Hwy 21 towards Charlotte snf it is on the left beside Showmars and across NorthCross Bowling Lanes after you go thru light at Sam Furr hwy 73

The prices are good as well I was shocked how low they was considering the art work on these cakes.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:27 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,917,050 times
Yes, I have used Cake Designs at least twice a year for the last 3 years. The cake is very good and they do beautiful work. Generally, I get a cake there for Mother's Day and for a Christmas party I have each year. They are very beautiful and get tons of compliments when I have them at these events. Certainly recommended.

For bbq, consider Lancaster's BBQ, and the Huntersville location is probably most convenient for you.
http://www.lancastersbbq.com/

Old 05-10-2007, 12:37 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,963,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Try The Bakery Shoppe in Huntersville the cake designs at this place are phenominal very artisitic. It is close to North Cross Shopping center from Cornelius take Hwy 21 towards Charlotte snf it is on the left beside Showmars and across NorthCross Bowling Lanes after you go thru light at Sam Furr hwy 73

The prices are good as well I was shocked how low they was considering the art work on these cakes.

Do they have lots of flavors as well? Do they taste as good as they look? I'll try one for my twins B-day coming up.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:16 PM

178 posts, read 875,865 times
When I go visit my southern friends in NYC, my hostess gift is always the same thing NC BBQ!!! And I get it from Bubba's on Sunset Road (Off of I-77). They will pack it in quart containers for you (I freeze it to take on the plane). The thing I love about Bubba's is the Q is all white meat-NO FAT.
The other thing I love are their hushpuppies.....yum.

Don't forget to buy a bottle of Bubba's vinegar based BBQ sauce- it's just not the same with out it.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:19 PM

70 posts, read 350,409 times
Are you serious??? You are going to get your 2 year old daughters birthday party catered. How sad is that. You can order some pizza or something else. Do you really need to cater in BBQ? Who are you trying to impress?

Are you planning to spend 100 dollars for a birthday cake? Really is it that important?

Old 05-10-2007, 01:19 PM

254 posts, read 1,058,603 times
A friend of mine graduated from CIA (the culinary institute not central inteligence LOL) and she makes AMAZING cakes..far superior to any cake you will find in a bakery here in Lake Norman. I get one each year for my daughter's birthday and I know many mommies that get their cakes from her as well and rave about them. I personally do not like cake designs..way too much fondant! Please pm me and I can give you Michelle's information

Old 05-10-2007, 01:24 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,558,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Do they have lots of flavors as well? Do they taste as good as they look? I'll try one for my twins B-day coming up.

I didnt really inquire to much about the cakes just look at the ones they had on display I remember this one that was made with real strawberries. I think the 2 tier or 3 tier cakes was only between $27-35 the artwork on the cake was well worth it.
I was in there for something else I needed a dessert to take to a cover dish dinner they had these almost these 3 inch long brownies made with coconut and caramel a dozen for 12.75. They was nice enough to cut each slice into 4's so I could serve more.
They also had good selection of breakfast pastries. Stop in there one day they serve caribou coffee. Places like that are TROUBLE ..now I need a snack hehe

Old 05-10-2007, 01:25 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,917,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertrule View Post
Are you serious??? You are going to get your 2 year old daughters birthday party catered. How sad is that. You can order some pizza or something else. Do you really need to cater in BBQ? Who are you trying to impress?

Are you planning to spend 100 dollars for a birthday cake? Really is it that important?
Um, to each their own. And Cake Designs won't cost $100. And catering bbq is not quite the same as getting Something Classic to cater. It's BBQ . Nothing wrong with a few trays of bbq and hushpuppies. I actually think throwing some boxes of pizza on the table would be "sad" as you say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte